What is the next best saw after the Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Sonny,

How many of them saws on his list have you ran?

Muscle cars, yeah I've sampled a few in my years, guess you can tell my favs were NOT built by the former big two.

What are you talking about i was telling him what you meant as far as mopar cars and how much better they were in performing then the cars he listed.

You are correct. The Mustang was not a muscle car, it was a pony car. Just like the Camaro and the Cuda, not muscle cars. The Ford Gran Torino, and Chevy Chevelle, Monte Carlo, were muscle cars.

Lol! Mustang not a muscle car? I agree that some were just pony cars, just like some Camaros too. But what about 396 SS Camaros and 428CJ Mustangs?

And saying a Cuda is not a muscle car is just unAmerican IMO. :smile-big: Hemi=Muscle, no matter what car it's in.

You are correct. The Mustang was not a muscle car, it was a pony car. Just like the Camaro and the Cuda, not muscle cars. The Ford Gran Torino, and Chevy Chevelle, Monte Carlo, were muscle cars.

A factory high compression cross ram 426 with a tweaked distributor advance and some jetting was rumored to make around 600 hp. a 426 cuda will flat out blow the doors off your chevys. . .

The '55 Chevy was Not a muscle car.

And very few '67 'stangs (excepting the ultra rare Shelbys) could even come close to hangin' with a lowly 340 Duster/Demon

Actually some say the "goat was the first Muscle car,,,,,,,,,,, others say it was the '55 Chrysler 300...................................That's a fact!

I suppose I stuck my foot in my mouth when I called the 55 chevy a muscle car because I know it's not but it is the 2nd most sought after car of the vintage era following the 67 FASTBACK not the shelby and they put 427 side oilers in 67 fast backs that were not a shelby and they would run the pizz out of a 340-duster/demon or whatever moped had to throw at it.

No the mustang did'nt start out as a MUSCLE CAR, we all know it started out as THE PONY CAR but it sure did end up being a muscle car! If it was'nt for the MUSTANG there would be no camaro. Ford owned the market for 2 years with that PONY CAR. It had chevy and chrysler pizzing down their leg watching all that money go to ford.

Ford also had motor's nascar would'nt let in. One was a 427 TUNNELPORT SIDE OILER that produced 635HP that they never made a Hemi to run with it. Lets not confuse it with the 427 TUNNELPORT LOWRISE TOP OILER that nascar did let them run. BIG DIFFERENCE!

I got the bug a while back for a new saw. I don't use one much, but just wanted a new one that I'd probably never wear out.

When it all shook out, I ended up with a 5100 AND a 7900, all for less than $ 1,100. Stihls & Huskys are prevelant around here, but for me, I didn't think I could beat the deal, and I'm sure that I will never wear them out.

Even though it's side-tracked a bit, the muscle analogy has merit here. One of the things the 7900, 372, and to a certain extent, the 460 have goin for it is the fact they are muscle saws. They have a medium sized(ish) chassis with a large motor bolted in. I have not used a 7900; only used a 460, 046, and 372xpw in the 70-80cc class. If the Dolmar is as light as they say, I would guess it rates right up there with the other two. But, I find specs and real world weight are often quite different. On paper the XPW looks very close in weight to the 460 with a wrap. In the real world, I feel the xpw is a bit lighter and more easily swung about after a few hours use. Still, the 460 with a double dump feels like it pulls stronger when buried. In the occasion when I need parts for a husky or a stihl, they are easily found locally, or on line(like a new OEM top end for my 046 that I got for dirt cheap that pulled 198psi after 10 tanks). I hear there is a Dolmar dealer about an hour away, and there is nowhere near the parts availability on line between the Dolmar compared with the other two. Some folks say they do all their saw work - that's great, but you need to acquire the parts to do the work even if you do not need the dealer to do it for you. And what if your new saw has problems that are covered under warranty? Living an hour away from a Dolmar dealer, or having to ship it is a bit of a pain. So, there are more things to consider besides raw performance.

Oh, and anyone that calls a 1969 429 boss mustang a pony car completely misses the muscle car point.

No the mustang did'nt start out as a MUSCLE CAR, we all know it started out as THE PONY CAR but it sure did end up being a muscle car! If it was'nt for the MUSTANG there would be no camaro. Ford owned the market for 2 years with that PONY CAR. It had chevy and chrysler pizzing down their leg watching all that money go to ford.

And Comparing a 7 liter against a 5.5 isn't unfair at all!:giggle:
Top oiler bottom oiler, inside oiler, outside oiler, None of them got the fords caught up with the mopars that where 10 seconds ahead of the pack. where do you think all the wack rules came from in nascar? its what I herd at least, Mopar power...

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual the 372 is compared/put up against larger saws which says something in it's self.

How light do you want to go? Next thing you know there is complaints a particular saw/brand breaks up to easily, but boy are they light!

372's, 044/440's are not heavy. They are well built.

Muscle cars? The Ford falcon XY GTHO phase three was the fastest in the world four door production sedan.

Ford Falcon XY GT and GTHO

Last edited:
All this talk about power is speculative. In 2-cycle dirt bike racing they compare honda, yamaha, kawasaki and whatever other brand with a DYNOMETER showing the power at rpm, why don't they do this for these saw comparisons????

I guess cost could be one reason, but it would be nice for an UNBIASED testing facility to compare these saws. Some dudes like the low grunt torque monters at lower rpm while some like to wind up the rpms to maintain power. The weight issue is another factor--some don't care, some bicker about a few ounces.

There is also some variation among individual saws of the same model number, the old don't buy a car that was made on a monday or friday theory.

I want dyno results!!!

372XPW and 7900 Close to a Tie

Most used, favorite saws:

1) 7900
2) 372XPW
3) 440
4) 346XP OE

In a completely subjective opinion, I'd vote for a 372XPW, and then a 440W. The 7900 and 372XPW are my most used saws, along with a 346XP OE. The 440W is NEVER a bad choice, and was one of the best all around saws ever made!

From a design, use, and performance perspective, these saws are tops in my book. The 7900 is an awesome design, and runs unbelieveably well. The 372 and 440 are classics. The 346 is also in a class by itself, especially the older, lighter 45cc model. I also use a 460 sometimes, and it is a great saw. One of the guys at Madsens once told me that the 372XPW was built to compete with the 460, which it does very well. For me the performance of the two is similar, with the 372 being much more comfortable to use all day.

I think that for overall quality and robustness, the nod would go to the Stihl, with Husky and Dolmar very close behind. Since they are simply a rebranded Husky, Jonsered doesn't really even belong in a seperate category. Jonsered as a brand is completely non-existant in the PNW; I have never seen one dealer here.

If you rely on saws for your livelihood, you'd probably want great dealer support, which around here would be either Husky or Stihl. Dolmar is a very distant third here, unfortunately. If you live in the west, Jonsered is a non-starter.

Ford also had motor's nascar would'nt let in. One was a 427 TUNNELPORT SIDE OILER that produced 635HP that they never made a Hemi to run with it. Lets not confuse it with the 427 TUNNELPORT LOWRISE TOP OILER that nascar did let them run. BIG DIFFERENCE!

They also wouldn't let them run the 427 cammer.

Latest posts

Back