What is the perfect chainsaw for what "You" cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Virtually all my cutting is ground bucking and I seem to always reach for the 288. If there is a lot if smaller stuff the 357 will tag along. I scavenge almost all my stuff and I let the guys with the smaller saws tackle the small logs while I take care of the larger stuff. The 288 will burn more gas but whatever. The cutting speed makes up for it.

Because I always have saws that need to be tested, I often use one that is not really the ideal model for the task at hand but is instead the one I want to run fuel through. I am working on thinning the herd as it's gotten out of hand so I'm getting more selective in what broken stuff I buy. Saws that currently need testing are a Poulan rear handle, a Stihl MS440 and an MS460. I have a huge pile of 017/018 stuff to make saws out of and a pile of 021/025 stuff to build up as well. (wintertime project). Today I pulled my just repaired log splitter out and busted up some pecan. Haven't done much with firewood for several months but it's time to get after it...

95% of the cutting I do is in my backyard. Despite having a bunch of cooler saws, my new goto is an electric 16" Remington. Why? Because its the only one that starts every time

Don't mention any details of your Remington saw. If you do, there are some that will call you on it, and imply you are a liar.

I too, have a Remington saw with 16" b&c. Love it! Best part is the 3.0 hp it makes.................:happy:

I am not asking another whats the best chainsaw in the world thread ,I am asking what is the go to saw in "your" collection ,a one saw that will do all you need to do without having to need 2 to 3 saws for the general all around task at hand ,This site is boring today ,lets wake it up some .

Stihl 440 hybrid is my pick ,but you all knew that already .:cool:
:yes:
Another vote for the hybrid

Since I don't have one of Brian's hybrids, I'll vote for my "new recipe" ported 10 mm 044. Basically, great power/wt, and suitable for limbing or bucking.

Numa, we gotta compare this with you 441 at the next GTG. I know I've run ported 441s, but I know there were several and maybe I ran a C and not yours. I do remember running your 461 though (nice saw).

Hopefully, there will be a hybrid there too.

My "go-to" saw is the 391. A little big for most of my limbing, but not too much, and adequate for most everything else. (I took the stump off at ground level with the 066)

04-18-15%20Tree%20_2e_zpsqygrq4tn.jpg

377038737ef98562ab3baa3363f13241.jpg

This is becoming my favorite go to saw now, the wife found it for me for last Christmas. It is a 2011 model never fueled 346xp. She paid 400 dollars out the door with four cans of fuel and case. I was going to keep it and not run it but needed to have an extra saw a while a go and started running it. It keeps getting stronger the more you run it. It is great for smaller stuff.

My personal favorite for the cutting I do is a 695 Shindaiwa. I am sure that is no surprise to the guys that know me. I fall, buck and limb primarily Doug Fir For firewood. 68cc with a 24" bar is just right for the job. I like how it feels and how it handles with the full wrap.

Anyone who knows me knows the answer.. a Husky L65.. probably my mild port one unless I have serious stuff to do.. In the future that may change, I'm building up a gray top 61 with an unlimited coil, as well as an L77.. so the L77 will feel like the 65, and cut like a 480 in stock form.. it will have a mild port job however and ought to really pull a chain well... once I get those two built I'll see which one the go-to saw is. 24" bars are standard issue here, the 61 will have a 20"

Gun to my head, only one saw, I'd go with my MS361. It does everything (not perfect, but it gets the job done). That said, it's been on back up duty lately. Been running a Jred 2139T, MS261 (ported) ad MS461 (ported) for most of my personal firewood uses.

Back