What is the ultimate McCulloch saw based on the 10 series chassis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
82cc MAC without a doubt. Of those, many would say the SP81E or old style PM850. I am a fan of the later versions with the Q-port, partially raised intake, larger bladed flywheel and stronger recoil cover.* The ultimate in longevity should be the DE80 with the governed carb and a plastic intake instead of a rubber intake boot. I say "should" because of the three that I have seen - one ate a needle bearing or two, one leaks bar oil - no it pours bar oil for reasons yet to be discovered, and the only one problem free is practically new. Ron

* Also has a reinforced clutch cover but it merits are offset by the more fragile integrated muffler cover. I am not a fan of the PM8200 due to its unique features that lessen parts interchange.

Ron I'd agree 100%. That 80,81,800 and 850 family would still hold their own for speed and power in the woods today. Ken

I will propose the PM850, no oversize muffler to lessen the effect of those 82cc' s.

I have some SP80's and SP81's that are fun to run but the PM850 is the strongest.

I have the complete line up of the 800 family, the PM850 was still the closest one to my Dolmar 7900.

Still looking for the DX80.

Mark

I have a pm850 and I love it, im actually going to pick up tomorrow my first pm800 and a pm8200, @heimannm do you know the difference between a double eagle 8200 and a pro mac 8200, neither model is listed on acres site

DE 80 had the carb hard mounted to the engine and a boot to seal the airbox.

PM8200 is all unique, three piece crankshaft, 6 bolt crankcase, unique piston. I have one runner and a spare short block, both vibrate so bad it is scary.

Mark
I didn't realize that they are that much of a different animal, I'll have to get out my ipl and do some research, so the fact that they are a different design from everything else, does that make it more collectable? Or maybe everyone stays away because they are not like the rest.

To me the PM8200 is an odd duck: "modern" crankshaft and piston design but old style intake boot. All but the 8200 and possibly the early SP80 were fitted with one of three piston sizes matched to the cylinder.

Don't know if they missed the mark on the 8200 engine redesign and decided to use up surplus old parts or they wanted to distinguish the DE80 as a pro saw and the PM8200 as a customer saw. Who knows as both came out after McCullloch was sold.

I should add to my previous post that essentially everything PM800 forward interchanges with the 8200 other than the bare engine assembly. The DE80 interchanges except the tank/handle, the carb and the intake manifold. There is also a lot of interchangeability with the earlier 82cc MACs.

Ron

7-10s are bad ass, most that show up on ebay look like they were rode hard and put away wet tho.
850s are stronger than the 800s. The old mac dealer that I know thought they were ported different, wasn't for sure what they did but swore by them.
The 10-10S is strong, versatile, and at least came with a cushioned handle.
I've been taking a 10-10S and a PM 800 into the woods with me lately. I have a 850 set up for milling lumber.
I leave my SP81E at home, save that for racing ;)
Eric

My 7-10a is in good shape but it's got a lot of paint chips, it's a good runner and an even better starter, it's well behaved and it's no slouch with 16 inch bar. I replaced the original mac 10 hardnose with a nos mcculloch sprocket tip bar and picked up quite a few rpms which definitely helped.
Can you tell it's one if my favorites? Haha

If you want a rigid mount saw, the 7-10 is the one with the most snot. I ran mine (well used, new rings) against a very fresh PM700 and the 7-10 whipped it every way we ran them. There weren't any rigid 82 cc saws. Put a 10-10 AF cover on and win a few bets.

Mark
The only problem is if somebody is paying attention they will see the decompression valve, be kinda like my brother had a poulan 4000 with 3400 covers haha

I also have a few macs of that series, and can confirm that the PM850 is hands down the strongest saw. A few of these models would run against several modern saws but I just don't like to run them because they are so dang loud.

Roland! Good to hear from you again.

Don't worry about the noise, just tell the Frenchmen to get used to it.

My first 7-10 is a later model with the pop up compression release. This one is still one of my favorite saws to use.

McCulloch 7-10 4.JPG

DSC02414.JPG

My second 7-10 is an earlier model with the lever type compression release, truly the DSP or de-stroking port to bleed off some compression while starting.

Mark

Roland! Good to hear from you again.

Don't worry about the noise, just tell the Frenchmen to get used to it.

Mark

Hi Mark, can't hear ya....
I am not concerned about the frenchmen, but my own ears. I have run bike engines to the limit in my younger days and loved the sound of a raging engine, but nowadays, I can't stand the noise anymore. I've switched to wearing hearing protection during all my motorized outdoor works, and love it. I must be getting older....LOL.

Just give me a call when you are in Europe again.

Back