what is the wrong with stihl dealers??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes sense. Any mandatory dealer reeducation or continuing education requirements that can be imposed by OEM on these voluntarily ignorant dealers?

Welp yes and no. Stihl does have a deal where you have no choice but go to school. Like anyone else though, that doesn't mean you go home educated. Some only go because they have to, not because they really want to be there. Yes they pass the tests and all but you can't teach attitude, you can't teach someone to be the best they can be if they themselves could care less. The fastest way Stihl drops a dealer is when the dealer delibertly and knowingly breaks policy. Customer complaints is the norm in all business. If businesses shut down everyone who gets some or even alot of customer complaints we would have no place to shop and the businesses would have no one to sell their product. As you can see one has to have the other in order to stay in business. Complaints is just part of business, in fact without complaints rarely would a product improve or a human being. Gotta have complaints, sounds crazy I know, but its true...

They do indeed BUT!! Lets say you got a dealer buying a million dollars worth of your product a year, pays his bills on time yet he gets alot of customer complaints. To be blunt its going to take a awful lot of customer complaints for any business, no matter what type, to toss a million bucks down the tubes. The OP has legit complaints but when hurricanes go through a area you can rest assured there will be a shortage of chainsaws just like generators. His complaint about the dealer not knowing much about the chains he wanted is legit, the dealer should know what they are selling...

Seven years ago after Ivan Stihl dealers got few saws up this way. They went south.

Seven years ago after Ivan Stihl dealers got few saws up this way. They went south.

Shoot man when Katrina hit I couldn't get a 660 for months. Had one ole boy giving me fit and I told him go on down to New Orleans and getcha one and bring me back some. When these big storms hit certain areas thats where the saws go FIRST. I know it may be a pain in the butt for someone wanting a saw and not being able to get it. I feel the sameway for I can't get it either to sell. However when you see the damage these storms do and you see the people with homes crushed by trees I say let them have first dibbs on the saws, they need em more than we do..

Shoot man when Katrina hit I couldn't get a 660 for months. Had one ole boy giving me fit and I told him go on down to New Orleans and getcha one and bring me back some. When these big storms hit certain areas thats where the saws go FIRST. I know it may be a pain in the butt for someone wanting a saw and not being able to get it. I feel the sameway for I can't get it either to sell. However when you see the damage these storms do and you see the people with homes crushed by trees I say let them have first dibbs on the saws, they need em more than we do..

By the way. Ron has the hat you sent him right over a nice Stihl saw as you walk into his shop. LOL

When you first get down there after a hurricane you have to get out of the truck to read the signs in the interstate. And hope they got blown over face up!!

By the way. Ron has the hat you sent him right over a nice Stihl saw as you walk into his shop. LOL

When you first get down there after a hurricane you have to get out of the truck to read the signs in the interstate. And hope they got blown over face up!!

Cool, but he suppose to wear that dayumm thing,LOL

This past summer we had what I call a silent storm. It was more like a twister than a hurricane. It made a path through the upper part of the county. I didn't know what had
happened but I got a run on saws that was unreal. I usually keep about 50 or so in stock at all times and they were buying them as fast as I could assemble them. Sad truth
be known its very hard for any dealer to have enough saws on hand when a storm hits. Many are afraid to dump a pile of money in inventory or merely can't afford to even if they
know a storm is on the way. Just recently when Sandy was on the way I stocked up with 26 grand worth of saws, chains and extras. I was thinking man am I gonna sell some saws.
Ha, the storm brought alot of rain and wind but did very little damage in my area. I sold that pile I ordered but not nearly as fast as I thought I would. Storms are tricky business...

Who did you speak to on the phone when you ordered that chain. Was it the owner of the dealership, or the guy whose job it is to sell stuff off the shelves and check with the mechanics when you call in to see if your saw is ready?
Retail is just a job to some, they don't care what they're selling, 40 hours a week of pay is what they're in it for.

If that same dealer sold Husqvarna you would get the same treatment. It's the man, not the machine.

Yep, that's likely how it is!

....and that great Husky dealer could well be Spike60, which clearly is at the other end of the "dealer scale"!

i ordered that 461r from stihl 2 weeks ago, they've not been giving me any good info, they ordered it from a distributor that didnt have it and didnt know it so i waited and waited now they're shipping one up from VA they tell me and it should be here sometime next week! i dont live that far from VA! i asked if there was anything i could do to make it go quicker and the guy keeps saying no. so anyways, i talked to the guy yesterday to order other parts before closing and he hurried me off the phone and said he'd call me today around noon. welp no call today around noon so i called them around 3 and tried to order an RM chain and a RSLHK chain to come with the 461r...he had never heard of anything like that before...i even gave him part numbers from stihls website which were part number 3645 and 3650, he said that those werent stihl part numbers...i told him that i got them right off of stihls website and please try to find it, nothing. he asked me if i'd like to come search through his books and computer for what im looking for...i cant believe it. this is the third bad stihl dealer ive been to.
come on stihl, you're losing all your business this way. i told them that i'm cancelling my order and switching to husqvarna if my 461 isnt here by next week. i have a huge great husqvarna dealer about 25 miles away, and im beginning to that that husqvarna is going to be the better option

I think I told you, custom ordering a non-standard (for the region) saw when a major storm has hit is going to be a frustrating experience! In all fairness, I don't think those are correct part numbers either -- you'd really be looking for 33RMxx and 33RSLHKxx, where xx is the number of drive links. Those are the "marketing" numbers, which will map to an 11-digit part number. I don't have those chains, but for comparison, I have a 33RS91 that has part number 3623 005 0091.

Last edited:
I used to do some dealer bashing on this site but i am starting to understand things a little better. From time to time i will jump on the wagon with a torch and speer. We have a lot of dealers in my area Stihl, Husky, Echo i can think of 6 within 30 mins and thats not counting box stores. each one has its pros and cons. I always search for the best deal when buying a saw...... thats it. cheapest price will get my money. A few dealers will know what i am talking about when i ask questions about new saws. I asked 2 different dealers about the new MS461.....1 told me it was a more restricted MS460 ....2 told me about the quad ports explained the design better.....#2 obviosly paid better attention in class. One of the more knowledgeable dealers in my area is also the highest priced for parts and gear but he stocks just about everything.

Don't feel bad my local dealer is pretty good but,the parts guy is a complete idiot you have to give him the parts #and still wants to argue with ya.I just bypass him and go directly to my sales rep.

Sorry to hear ya had a bad experience with a dealer, I hope it works out for you. We are very fortunate, our dealer in Bakersfield is FANTASTIC. They sell Stihls and Husky, and Echos too. Super knowledgeable, and the two mechanics are masters and have helped me a lot...and put up with me, which is worth something too. If I can't figure out whats wrong with a saw, great advice is freely given.
They have a very deep stock, as they sell to the Forest Service and local Fire Departments. You can walk in and buy a 660 any day, but have to wait a couple days for an 880.

Good luck with yer new 461, you are going to love it.
Have a great day and Saw Safe :msp_thumbup:

I rekon that little bubble butt girl at the Wendys finally left ole Tom alone long enough fer him to post.

My local Stihl dealer is exclusive to Stihl and IH/Cub Cadet. he charges above MSRP, and the cost of a chain sharpening is higher than a replacement chain, with a 2 day turnaround. Yet he makes a killing, as he's the closest place you can get anything Stihl or IH/Cub, next one is greater than a 30min ride. I guess if they know if they have you by the balls and if they do, they can treat you as they please.

Best local dealer hereabouts is the SMALLEST one. Two man show, owner and assistant wrench.

Sometimes you can even get a free "carcass or two...."

Will sell aftermarket if the parts are quality and cheap.

Deals in orange and red saws.

No idiot parts person that never ran, let alone worked on a machine of any sort.

No MORON techs, that will tell you "buy a P/C" but can't seem to understand a pressure /vac test.

No salespeople that say: " your saw is not worth fixing, have a look at this...."

Best local dealer hereabouts is the SMALLEST one. Two man show, owner and assistant wrench.

Sometimes you can even get a free "carcass or two...."

Will sell aftermarket if the parts are quality and cheap.

Deals in orange and red saws.

No idiot parts person that never ran, let alone worked on a machine of any sort.

No MORON techs, that will tell you "buy a P/C" but can't seem to understand a pressure /vac test.

No salespeople that say: " your saw is not worth fixing, have a look at this...."

That's why I'm liking this Stihl dealer in Trafton more and each time I go there :msp_wink:

Same here in Belgium! Had a great dealer in the past but he quit. Now I've got a dealer a mile away from me, only go there to pick up the basic parts that cost nothing (fuel pick up, clutch springs). He is way to expensive, doesn't know what you're talking about, argues about part numbers, wants me to pay €3.15 before ordering some small stuff, etc.
A Husky dealer even closer to me, as expensive as the Stihl dealer. Probably cuz they are brothers :) used to work together but split up after years of arguing. Go there for things that aren't Stihl related, like spark plugs or accessories for chainsaws.
Got a really good dealer, 10 miles away. Too bad I almost never have to go that way. But if I need a bunch of stuff, want a new saw, need advice, anything you need a good dealer for, I go there. Just too silly to drive to him for less than $10 stuff. Though it's always cozy there!

Chainsaw guys are very impatient. Waiting a few weeks is NOTHING.

I ordered a gun back in 1998 and just got it a couple of months ago. That was a 14 year wait. I doubt that can be topped.

Tony

Don't think I saw tony's reply to what gun he was waiting on. I have a 1911 38spl that's getting fixed by a 75 y/o retiree that really knows his stuff and been in magazines and shooting competition winner, etc etc etc... his qualifications litterally line the walls of his tiny little shop. I've been waiting 8months for my 1911 to get fixed and I'll wait 8 more for him to fix it. Most the other smithys around here are idiots or way overpriced.

To the OP,
As the old saying goes "if you want it done right you better do it yourself." Nothing rings more true about any type of big or medium dealers around here. There is only 1-2 shops that I MIGHT trust with one of my personal saws. Parts being no exception. I do all my own leg work collecting the part numbers if I have to buy local. I buy parts from 3-4 dealers depending on brand and urgency. This is also why I'd rather buy parts online and fix a used saw rather than buy new one, pay more, and be at the mercy of the dealer for support b/c of warrenty.

**OFF TOPIC**

Didn't want to start a new thread. Figured a lot of dealers would check this thread out.
Any of you Toro dealers know if you can become a servicing dealer only to get parts from them?

Sorry to hear ya had a bad experience with a dealer, I hope it works out for you. We are very fortunate, our dealer in Bakersfield is FANTASTIC. They sell Stihls and Husky, and Echos too. Super knowledgeable, and the two mechanics are masters and have helped me a lot...and put up with me, which is worth something too. If I can't figure out whats wrong with a saw, great advice is freely given.
They have a very deep stock, as they sell to the Forest Service and local Fire Departments. You can walk in and buy a 660 any day, but have to wait a couple days for an 880.

Good luck with yer new 461, you are going to love it.
Have a great day and Saw Safe :msp_thumbup:

Can't be that good, when he has the stomac to sell Echo saws.....:msp_wink::msp_biggrin:

Can't be that good, when he has the stomac to sell Echo saws.....:msp_wink::msp_biggrin:

I don't know. Seems the dealer took on Husky when Echo didn't work too well, then took on Stihl when he wanted to sell some real saws. :msp_biggrin:

Obviously kept the other two as lower priced alternatives...

Latest posts

Back