What is your favorite non-saw tool brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite non-saw tool brand?

• Makita

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Bosch

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Milwaukee

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Dewalt

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Ryobi

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Rigid

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Craftsman

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Kobalt

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Snap-on

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other. ( Reply your favorite )

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters
Also Mac tools.

And over here we have a car parts chain called Halfords that have a Halfords Advanced range of hand tools with a lifetime replacement policy. They are good quality and cheaper than Snap-on and Mac.

Also Hazet. A German tool company. Very good quality and not very well known.

Harbor Freight Bauer 20 volt Li-Ion cordless tools. Air tools, Harbor Freight Chief air tools, Icon Wrenches and torque wrenches (the ICON 1/2" drive torque wrench is an exact copy of the Snap-On (which I also have). The Snap-On cost 550 bucks. The Icon was $110.00. Only difference is the etched in name on them.

I have to say that for ocasional use, you cannot beat the Bauer line and the batteries are 1/2 the cost of DeWalt (Have one of them as well).

Just sold my Lincoln Square Wave TIG machine and my Hypertherm 60 amp plasma cutter and bought a Harbor Freight Vulcan 205 TIG welder and a Titanium 60 amp plasma cutter and the Titanium interfaces with my CNC plasma table perfectly. BTW, I put 2 grand in my pocket selling the Lincoln and the Hypertherm and I got the no questions asked extended warranty (3 years) on both plus both machines are inverter which is much more efficient than the Lincoln or Hypertherm transformer machines are and the consumables for the Titanium are 1/3 the cost of the Hyper Therm and I use a ton of consumables.

Only thing I have to add to this TIG machine is a water cooled torch. Probably get a Weld Craft, they are all DINSE connection today.

The Vulcan 205 is a sweet running TIG machine too and it's all digital and it has built in presets as well as pulsed TIG and post and pre flow. and HF start.

Have not used the Titanium plasma cutter yet but I will next week as I have a bunch of parts that need to be cut on the table. The Titanium plugs right into my table, very seamless setup.

Like the US General Series 3 tool cabs too. I have 2 of them, one just for SAE and the other is Metric.

HF used to sell second rate crap. Not any more. You can still buy the crap but you can also buy tool truck quality tools there now.

Kind of reminds me of the Stihl / Echo saw thing. Why pay an exorbitant price for a Stihl when an Echo is a lot less and just as good, maybe better. JMO.

Got started on Ryobi about 15 years ago and those blue tools are still going strong. Modern batteries and brushless motors are much better, though. If I was making a living with them, my opinion may differ, but after this much time as a fairly intense DIYer, I've not had one break. I have about 30 of their tools, both corded and battery. Through HD sales and direct tools outlet, you can have an arsenal without going broke.

Got started on Ryobi about 15 years ago and those blue tools are still going strong. Modern batteries and brushless motors are much better, though. If I was making a living with them, my opinion may differ, but after this much time as a fairly intense DIYer, I've not had one break. I have about 30 of their tools, both corded and battery. Through HD sales and direct tools outlet, you can have an arsenal without going broke.
I'm another Ryobi battery tool fan. Own several, have had no problems. I like that the batteries have stayed constant. If I was using daily to make a living I might look elsewhere but for my homeowner / DIY use they work well.

I have owned and have used MANY different battery tools, I do like DeWalt and that's what I have now.

BUT, if I was younger and starting out today, I'd buy Milwaukee, the good line not the homeowner stuff.

SR

I have owned and have used MANY different battery tools, I do like DeWalt and that's what I have now.

BUT, if I was younger and starting out today, I'd buy Milwaukee, the good line not the homeowner stuff.

SR
I mote or less agree. I'm too vested in dewalt to switch over to Milwaukee. Truthfully I haven't seen much difference between the two to justify switching either.

I mote or less agree. I'm too vested in dewalt to switch over to Milwaukee. Truthfully I haven't seen much difference between the two to justify switching either.
It’s a good time to get into a new brand. Home Depot has a charger, 2 batteries and a free tool on all the big brands this month. I did that this time last year to get into Milwaukee after having all dewalt for years. Started with the Milwaukee m18 blower (the free tool) because the ratings were better than dewalt.

It’s a good time to get into a new brand. Home Depot has a charger, 2 batteries and a free tool on all the big brands this month. I did that this time last year to get into Milwaukee after having all dewalt for years. Started with the Milwaukee m18 blower (the free tool) because the ratings were better than dewalt.
I'm just too deep in dewalt, and can't justify a do-over when a lot of the stuff I have I don't use that hard, so it will last forever for me. I like the Milwaukee stuff a lot, it's all 2 of my uncles and one cousin use, but I've never thought it was so much better to replace all my cordless tools with. Now if it was 8 odd years ago when I was replacing all my cordless snap-on tools then yeah, I'd go Milwaukee. Even with a free tool program I'd have 2 different battery systems for years.

Back