What is your favorite non-saw tool brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite non-saw tool brand?

• Makita

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Bosch

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Milwaukee

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Dewalt

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Ryobi

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Rigid

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Craftsman

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Kobalt

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Snap-on

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other. ( Reply your favorite )

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters
Very sad Sean but the way it is. People want something supposedly well made and quality built but don't want to pay much for it so alas, it gets made in China, kind of like the ongoing comments about Chinese chainsaws. People don't much care where it's made at, so long as it's cheap and I don't ascribe to that school of thought at all. If you want a quality and long lasting anything today, you have to pay for it and that certainly isn't a Chinese chainsaw either. Like I said way back, I bought one for kicks and grins and gave the POS away to a friend I wasn't all that crazy about anyway and what he did with it, I have no idea and candidly don't care.

Having said that, I do prefer Echo saws over Stihl. Not because they are better but because they cost less but aren't Chinese and I get them at dealer cost as well because I happen to work for an Echo dealer. Stihl, in my view is pricing themselves out of the retail market today. Good saws, I have a couple myself. Far as I can ascertain, Echo saws and power equipment appear to be a quality unit that are actually priced competitively in today's market. Stihl's are not. Would I ever part with my 090 or 075 or for that matter my ancient 028. Never. How many people can actually say they own an 028 that is over 45 years old that runs like a top and has never been apart? Not many I'd say. Of course I bought them all new, way back when and I take good care of them as well.

Definitely DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Makita.

- Dewalt saws can be a hit or miss. I think it has to do with the fact that some of their tools' manufacturing is outsourced.
- Milwaukee, on the other hand, is just consistent. Top of the line quality, lasts very long, you get what you pay for.
Milwaukee has had some stinkers too. Most of their power tools are good to go, but they had one impact wrench that was utterly garbage. Pretty sure they've fixed it by now, but if you're going to buy a Milwaukee impact, definitely make sure it's not THAT one.

Everything other than their power tools is hit or miss, fantastic or hot garbage; they don't make much that's mediocre. I have some multi-screwdrivers that are awesome. I've used their saw blades and such, on par with Harbor Freight. Never again.

I like Milwaukee, but definitely not a fanboy.

Having said that, I do prefer Echo saws over Stihl. Not because they are better but because they cost less but aren't Chinese and I get them at dealer cost as well because I happen to work for an Echo dealer. Stihl, in my view is pricing themselves out of the retail market today. Good saws, I have a couple myself. Far as I can ascertain, Echo saws and power equipment appear to be a quality unit that are actually priced competitively in today's market. Stihl's are not. Would I ever part with my 090 or 075 or for that matter my ancient 028. Never. How many people can actually say they own an 028 that is over 45 years old that runs like a top and has never been apart? Not many I'd say. Of course I bought them all new, way back when and I take good care of them as well.

I have a serious love for high value tools, right at the intersection of good price and good utility, and Echo fills that niche really well. Like the Mora knife of chainsaws.

The retail chainsaw market is mostly made up of small homeowner saws, and I bet Stihl is doing just fine there. They probably sell 10,000 170s and 180s for every 500i they sell. When saw companies talk about making most of their market electric, this is what they mean, and why.

It really depends on what I'm doing. For general construction tools, I prefer Milwaukee, but I normally used a Makita circular saw on the job site because they were lighter weight. They were going to get dropped off a roof before they ever had a chance to get worn out, so the extra quality and durability of the Milwaukee wasn't generally useful. If I'm wrenching on the truck, I use a lot of Proto and Blackhawk wrenches and sockets. If I'm out in the woods or on the side of the road, I have the cheapest junk I can get behind the truck seat or in the car of the trunk. If I'm driving nails all day, I wouldn't trade my Estwing framing hammer for anything. If I'm drilling holes in concrete, I prefer a Hilti. If I'm snaking roots out of my sewer line, my neighbors old Rigid power snake comes in real handy. So my favorite brand of tool depends on what kind of work I'm trying to do. I don't expect a company that makes good plumbing tools to also make good tools for framing a house, or rebuilding an engine.

Milwaukee has had some stinkers too. Most of their power tools are good to go, but they had one impact wrench that was utterly garbage. Pretty sure they've fixed it by now, but if you're going to buy a Milwaukee impact, definitely make sure it's not THAT one.

Everything other than their power tools is hit or miss, fantastic or hot garbage; they don't make much that's mediocre. I have some multi-screwdrivers that are awesome. I've used their saw blades and such, on par with Harbor Freight. Never again.

My one uncle and cousin use Milwaukee every day in their shop, number one complaint from impacts is the switches going bad. Gets to the point where you can't switch them from forward to reverse. The 3/8" impact seems to be more prone to the issue, but they've had it happen pretty often in the 1/2" and 3/4" as well.

Very sad Sean but the way it is. People want something supposedly well made and quality built but don't want to pay much for it so alas, it gets made in China, kind of like the ongoing comments about Chinese chainsaws. People don't much care where it's made at, so long as it's cheap and I don't ascribe to that school of thought at all. If you want a quality and long lasting anything today, you have to pay for it and that certainly isn't a Chinese chainsaw either. Like I said way back, I bought one for kicks and grins and gave the POS away to a friend I wasn't all that crazy about anyway and what he did with it, I have no idea and candidly don't care.

So long as I don't need to use working with my logging buddy as a backup income, I doubt I'll readily be buying another new stihl saw. Actually the ms400 is the only new stihl I've ever bought. Out of necessity more the the need to have a stihl.
I like echo for what they are, and often reccomend them to others on a budget. Not my preferred choice, and I'm curious how they will fair with the harder emission standards coming down the pike. Their tech is stone age, and the simplicity is really the only allure they have. Too bad zenoah sold out to husqy, they always made a superior saw to echo, just not popular here in the states.
I digress, yes I agree. I'd rather spend more money for a quality product that will last then a cheaper alternative given it makes sense for what/how often I'll be using it.

Huh, I wouldn't have guessed that about Milwaukee. I've always thought of them as the OG classic American-made brand. It's interesting and a bit disappointing to hear about the variability in their products. And upon searching, I've learned that they are manufacturing internationally now. That may be why.

Thanks for the warning about their impact wrench – I'll steer clear of that.

Milwaukee has multiple models of impact wrenches even in the same drive size, and it was only one that was the problem. I'd be really surprised if they don't have it fixed yet.

Anybody have experience with Hilti? When I was younger, I was told they were the best of the pro tool grade but demand the highest price also. Like, most production plants would use this brand.

Anyone?

https://www.hilti.com/c/CLS_POWER_TOOLS_7124
The only Hilti I have a 1/2 inch hammer drill or no hammering is a rebranded Metabo. So I am sure it depends on the model but I would generally trust the brand not that I have used any of their current stuff.

Back