What kind of log tong to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theodore2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
HI, I bought an electric winch to hang from a nearby tree and help my grab the (18" long) cut logs and drop onto my horizontal splitter. What I'm trying to do is something like this photo that i found online (see attached)

And so I bought a 32" wide long tong (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WN6F3DM?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1). Most of the rounds I have are 24" diameter, but some are larger. I tried testing the log tongs but the pieces that are 24" diameter and under just rotate out of the tongs while lifting. Do I need to buy 2 tongs? i.e. one larger and one smaller? I need some advice from experienced long tong users (LOL!) on how to do this the right way. Thanks.
Theodore

Attachments

• 129073-cc0c8c43d6b1b0e5d1362b8cdec304a8.jpg
    129073-cc0c8c43d6b1b0e5d1362b8cdec304a8.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 6
HI, I bought an electric winch to hang from a nearby tree and help my grab the (18" long) cut logs and drop onto my horizontal splitter. What I'm trying to do is something like this photo that i found online (see attached)

And so I bought a 32" wide long tong (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WN6F3DM?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1). Most of the rounds I have are 24" diameter, but some are larger. I tried testing the log tongs but the pieces that are 24" diameter and under just rotate out of the tongs while lifting. Do I need to buy 2 tongs? i.e. one larger and one smaller? I need some advice from experienced long tong users (LOL!) on how to do this the right way. Thanks.
Theodore

Try setting the hooks above the midpoint of the rounds.

If you cut to length, most of us do, then get a set of tongs for your cut lenght.

There is nothing slow about it if you set it up correctly. In my case i have the winch mounted on the tree trunk with a threaded lag bolt. Then I have a 15 inch wide table against the tree and the splitter against the table. I roll the round to the splitter, drop the tong on the round and on splitter in 10 seconds or less. Some of my rounds are 200 lbs and all 22 inch long. By having the winch attach to the tree trunk, the tong gets out of the way when released from round. Its as fast or faster thanrolling up a ramp or a hydraulic lift

I cut mine around 2ft lengths give or take also. Much of the hard wood I split is 24" and up. I would not want to be picking them up to load on a splitter on a regular basis. I dont care how strong you are, If you are picking up peices like this on a regular basis your back won't be around at an older age.
20220305_125932.jpg

To the OP, a double tong set up would be more stable. They aren't cheap. I'd probably try grabbing them from the end like suggested and tipping them over once on the splitter.

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/too...vh65l3YeTafiWGXUducaAuE4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Grabbing the log from the cut ends would be the easiest way. In my case I cheat and bought a vertical/ horizontal splitter for knocking the big rounds into smaller pieces.

I bought a 32" pair of Aruza tongs off Amazon to use for dragging logs out of the woods. They are heavy duty for sure. Any decent set of tongs that size is going to have some weight to it. Be sure to get a set that swivel.

Its as fast or faster than rolling up a ramp or a hydraulic lift
Gonna have to see proof before I believe that one. Not sure what kind of hydraulic lifts you've used, but a good hydraulic lift on a splitter will pick a 32" round onto the machine just as fast as a person can pick up a 12" and set it on there. No way an electric winch is gonna do that unless you've got some kinda crazy fast capstan winch or something.

Anyway, yeah, as others have said, grab the round by the cut ends.

Gonna have to see proof before I believe that one. Not sure what kind of hydraulic lifts you've used, but a good hydraulic lift on a splitter will pick a 32" round onto the machine just as fast as a person can pick up a 12" and set it on there. No way an electric winch is gonna do that unless you've got some kinda crazy fast capstan winch or something.

Anyway, yeah, as others have said, grab the round by the cut ends.
The lift on my Wolfe Ridge is da shnizzle!!

Theodore
I bought a new lifting tong from Northern tool that are doubles. They weren’t that expensive considering.

I can send you some pics of the tongs that I've built using some 1/4" x 2" hot rolled steel and a stick welder. They work well and would work well for what you want to do. I use them to skid logs. I had thought about doing what you're trying, but ruled against it. Instead, I would put the bucket on that loader, use it to pick up 2 or 3 rounds, then drive them over to the splitter and roll them onto your table one at a time. That's what I ended up doing and its much faster. If you don't have the bucket handy, pick a skid up with the forks and do the same thing.

Hi, I'm the OP. I got rid of the 32" tongs and using a 24" tongs. With straps and winch on the tree, it has been a little slow but fantastic in terms of being able to pull these logs onto the splitter. A little slow in terms of sometimes the tongs slip out. But I was able to wrestle a huge round onto the splitter without hurting or pulling or cursing anyone. And I can dismantle and store when rain threatens with only a minor amount of hassle. My only wish is that I had a mostly horizontal tree branch overhead instead of this setup, but it still works quite well. Thank you all for the advice!

Attachments

• winch and tongs on tree.jpg
    winch and tongs on tree.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back