What kind of saddle are you using?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberhauler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm currently using a Buckingham pinacle saddle that I love,but just here recently,it's getting to where it hurst my back when I'm blocking down trunks.I was wondering if there is anything out there better,or easier on the back

buckingham master II, its nice but isnt crazy comfortable, my boss climbs with a glide, which is very comfortable. Before I upgrade I would really like to demo a treemotion and see if its really worth the price. Has anyone climbed in it?

I've got a sierra morena brydan, very comfortable
I'd have to climb in a tree motion as well before I'd invest that much money in it.

I've got a sierra morena brydan, very comfortable
I'd have to climb in a tree motion as well before I'd invest that much money in it.

Wow! I have the Brydan as well.... But, that sits in my truck and never gets pulled out anymore. You will be amazed at what new saddles do. Rotation is what makes them so good now. That brydan has no rotation, just pulls from the center. I am using the Bashlin saddle X, and have the tree motion on order. I love the rotation of the X, and it looks like the motion will have much better rotation just by the looks of its bridge. Dont you run out of room with only four gear loops on the brydan? Also, that thing weighs a TON! But, the shoulder straps are nice.....

Basic buttstrap model, I guess Bham makes it. I thought I was the only one still using it but I had a sub in who wore the exact same thing. Simple, productive, no crap in the lap or hanging from the hips to get in the way of the work. Rotates enough to allow side working while maintaining safety.

Using the Tree Austria I here but I have the lower back pain as well when blocking so looking for a change. I just cannot decide between Tree Austria II, Hummingbird or the Motion.

you got a chair on your saddle?

i have a pinnacle II with the bunsen(bunsten?) seat. has a nice fat back pad, the seat and the inner thigh straps. no backpain, just comfort(as comfortable as you possibly can be in a tree).
a good friend of mine went with a similar set up after seeing mine and yelled down to me after using it a few times that the seat on the saddle made him feel like he was in a cadillac!

i am a fan of it.

oldirty

Wow! I have the Brydan as well.... But, that sits in my truck and never gets pulled out anymore. You will be amazed at what new saddles do. Rotation is what makes them so good now. That brydan has no rotation, just pulls from the center. I am using the Bashlin saddle X, and have the tree motion on order. I love the rotation of the X, and it looks like the motion will have much better rotation just by the looks of its bridge. Dont you run out of room with only four gear loops on the brydan? Also, that thing weighs a TON! But, the shoulder straps are nice.....

I run the bridge through the leg strap loops and have installed a petzel paw as a sliding center D, I also have a carabiner going through one legstrap loop and a small shackle through the other as alternate attachment points for my lanyard. The way I've got my brydan rigged it rotates better than any buckingham I've worked in, but I've never tried a bashlin x. let us know how you like the tree motion.

I run a BASHLIN X saddle.

Bashlin-XS022.jpg

shown here modeled by my lovely GF:
the saddle has a large backpad, very comfortable when leaning back in spurs
Bashlin-XS015.jpg

Bashlin-XS019.jpg

me wearing it:
Bashlin-XS004.jpg

pics were taken when saddle was brand new and all stiff. Has formed to my back, hips, etc now, can wear it all day.

HEY MTC, how ya liking the Bashlin?

Been using a Pinnacle for quite a while now. Love it. Like being able to spread the lower d's and walk through my rope when the need arises.

Just picked up a newtribe progear last month though. Been using it a couple days a week. The most comfortable saddle I've ever worn but seems pretty light-not sure how it will stand up to hard everyday use.

i have a pinnacle II with the bunsen(bunsten?) seat. has a nice fat back pad, the seat and the inner thigh straps. no backpain, just comfort(as comfortable as you possibly can be in a tree).
a good friend of mine went with a similar set up after seeing mine and yelled down to me after using it a few times that the seat on the saddle made him feel like he was in a cadillac!

i am a fan of it.

oldirty

Yeah, what he^ said. I used the basic nylon saddle then used the Pinnacle that a buddy of mine had. Ordered one right away and never looked back. You may have to put the back pad higher or lower than what you're used to compared to butt pincher saddles.

Oh yeah, get a spreader snap to go along with your bosun seat. Probably won't do a thing for back pain but will make you feel like your in a swing:D

I run the bridge through the leg strap loops and have installed a petzel paw as a sliding center D, I also have a carabiner going through one legstrap loop and a small shackle through the other as alternate attachment points for my lanyard. The way I've got my brydan rigged it rotates better than any buckingham I've worked in, but I've never tried a bashlin x. let us know how you like the tree motion.

Nice! I like the inovation you have going on with that. I loved that saddle for years. It is still by far the most comfortable saddle I have used for hanging a large chainsaw off the side due to the nice support of the shoulder straps. I will try to post a follow up on the motion.

Latest posts

Back