What kind of trailer for moving logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulterpstra

Reaction score
What kind of trailer would people suggest for moving logs? I can get logs from a local arborist. I am not looking to move a lot of logs at one time. Just a few at a time. At home I would mill the logs if it is good wood, or I would cut it into firewood lenghts and split it.

If it is not practical to move the logs, I may just use a chainsaw mill on site and move the cut boards.

thanks

Coffee time down under /35*and rising

Definately - tandem/ modify - winch / tilt/ drop down sides or flat bed.
Sometimes I pay rree crew who has there own crane truck.They don't charge that much $150 $200 ( 90cent to the dollar US ).Sometimes they drop them in for free.Depends if they have a buyer or working hungry.When you start putting yourself upfront with other crews ,you'll get more logs than you want.Look for one with crane truck.
Have a 8 x 5 and tandem I use for my own jobs.But if i had the $'s ,time,weldiing skills to spare i'd modify or rebuild.
Ideal for me would be
- 2 detachable sides with winch mounts for either side.
- low wheel profile that would allow ladder rails to either side.
- winch mount at tow end
- maybe even a half or full tip / hydraulics would be cool.
My wife often catches me sighing or cursing under my breath-
she does;nt ask whats wrong anymore ,cause she she knows it's
to do with the logs i have'nt picked up YET ,that are stashed on differant properties .
As i have nuff logs and projects to last me at least, couple of years, there's a sticker on my forehead reads 'dream on '.

:bang: :)

Last edited:
tandem, maybe dumpbed to make the unloading process less labor intensive?
#1 go with an electric winch, #2 Electric winch with a Hoist? #3 perhaps if masive amounts of coin is falling out of the pockets maybe something with a hydraulic grapple?

What kind of trailer would people suggest for moving logs? I can get logs from a local arborist. I am not looking to move a lot of logs at one time. Just a few at a time. At home I would mill the logs if it is good wood, or I would cut it into firewood lenghts and split it.

If it is not practical to move the logs, I may just use a chainsaw mill on site and move the cut boards.

thanks

First of all what kind of tow vehicle will you use? what size logs? what kind of logs? I would definatly recommend a dump trailer, it makes unloading a hundred times easier. I would also suggest a deckover trailer (deck over top of wheels) and maybe a dropside (sides fold down) for ease of loading with a forklift or tractor, and if necessary you can roll the logs up the side of the trailer.

Anything else you would use your trailer for? It's always nice if you can get two birds with one stone.

PS, Paul, I see you are from Hamilton. I am from Niagara (Vineland) good to see more ontarions on here.

thanks for all the replies so far!

tow vehicle is a pickup truck (I am actually looking at them this week, so I don't have one yet)

two birds with one stone - I would like to be able to deliver and move split firewood loads also.

size of logs would be variable, but I would probably cut them to 10 foot lenghts, of whatever I could fit.
type of logs would be oak, ash, and maple. possibly others, but those are the main ones I am interested in. I would use the wood for my own woodworking projects, and possibly some boat building (small boats)

I like the idea of fold down sides to roll the logs up onto the trailer.

thanks for all the replies so far!

tow vehicle is a pickup truck (I am actually looking at them this week, so I don't have one yet)

two birds with one stone - I would like to be able to deliver and move split firewood loads also.

size of logs would be variable, but I would probably cut them to 10 foot lenghts, of whatever I could fit.
type of logs would be oak, ash, and maple. possibly others, but those are the main ones I am interested in. I would use the wood for my own woodworking projects, and possibly some boat building (small boats)

I like the idea of fold down sides to roll the logs up onto the trailer.

Sounds to me like a deckover dump trailer is the choice for you... especially for the firewood it sure is nice to unload with a push of a button instead of an hour of hard labor. You will need to spec it out according to the tow vehicle, but something like a 10,000 lb tandem sounds about right. You will need a 3/4 ton truck minimum to pull. You can use a smaller trailer and vehicle, don't get me wrong, but the 5 ton sounds like the sweet spot to me.

smallest set up i would go with is a tandem 3500lb (7000 lb total)axle dump trailer and a half ton truck

Craig

deevo, i'm not sure what the weight is, i put 8-12 to 14' beech logs on it and tow with my farm tractor. i 've towed it empty with my gmc half ton and you'd hardly know its there

Does it have working lights and can hook up to a 2" ball? I have a gmc 1/2 ton with a hd 305 and a ford expedition 5.4 litre for towing my things around. Are you right in Oshawa or on the outskirts?:greenchainsaw:

I think a 3/4 Ton Pick Up is too small. Hope he didn't get one already. Find yourself a used 6 wheel Dump Truck. The largest you can easily afford and you won't need the dump trailer. Instead you can get a logging trailer to pick up whole logs.

If you go with a dump trailer. a 3/4 Ton Pick Up will be fine, but then go with the 7x14 Heavy Duty Dump. The 6x10's seem to get overloaded real quick. At least mine does.

A 3/4 ton truck is fine..

paul said in his original post "I am not looking to move a lot of logs at one time. Just a few at a time."

I'm assuming he is more a weekend warrior, and i doubt he wants to break the bank and go and buy a dumptruck???? Just the other day I moved three large (largest being 26inch at the base) beech log, the other two were the 2nd and 3rd log from that tree. I loaded them into my 7x14 tandem landscape and moved them no problem, with my HALF ton 2wd pickup. With my trailer weighing 1500 pounds, I have a 5300 pound capacity, that it 4 or 5 GOOD size logs. My truck is an '01 chevy silverda 1500 with the 4.8L vortec. Very happy with this truck.

a pickup truck can also act as a personal vehicle, so he can drive it all week. No point in getting a dumptruck that is expensive, and youd only use it on the weekends. A half ton will work fine, a 3/4 will work better. A dumptruck..... overkill...?

but I really don't know, He'll have to get back to us.

take 'er easy

Craig

A 3/4 ton truck is fine..

paul said in his original post "I am not looking to move a lot of logs at one time. Just a few at a time."

I'm assuming he is more a weekend warrior, and i doubt he wants to break the bank and go and buy a dumptruck???? Just the other day I moved three large (largest being 26inch at the base) beech log, the other two were the 2nd and 3rd log from that tree. I loaded them into my 7x14 tandem landscape and moved them no problem, with my HALF ton 2wd pickup. With my trailer weighing 1500 pounds, I have a 5300 pound capacity, that it 4 or 5 GOOD size logs. My truck is an '01 chevy silverda 1500 with the 4.8L vortec. Very happy with this truck.

a pickup truck can also act as a personal vehicle, so he can drive it all week. No point in getting a dumptruck that is expensive, and youd only use it on the weekends. A half ton will work fine, a 3/4 will work better. A dumptruck..... overkill...?

but I really don't know, He'll have to get back to us.

take 'er easy

Craig

A classic case of Tim Taylor syndrome.:hmm3grin2orange: Screw the dump truck, get a triaxle with a Prentice loader. Quit #####footing around.:hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe a 1 ton with a dump bed? useful for logs, landscaping, snowplowing and unloading groceries for the wife (as well as the wife sometimes). Oops did I write that?

I stand corrected. A trailer will work for him. I got hung up on the pic of the yellow trailer and also though he was doing this full time. I myself have a 6x10 dump trailer and love it. Especially now that I learned that I can get a full cord of fire wood in there. I did find out that there are two different 6x10's. One is Heavy Duty, 9-10k GVW with a 7k lb payload. The other is just a 7k GVW with a 5k lb payload.

If you can, go for the bigger especially if you want to max it out and move it with a 3/4 ton truck.

Trailer for logs

Whatever style trailer you get, be sure to get a tandem axle (2 axle) trailer. I've hauled long logs (16-24'), on a low flatbed car trailer, and also on a higher Brimar dump trailer. Each has its benefits/drawbacks. Car trailer, being lower is easier to load, no matter how you load it. To unload, you will either pull the log off with a loader, or forklift, or tie the log to something sturdy, and drag the trailer out from under. The dump trailer is , of course easy to unload, but takes a good sized loader to load. Also, if the log is longer than the trailer, best bet is to put the big end in the back of the trailer, and hang the overage out the front of the trailer. This better balances the load, but you will probably need to do what I did to strengthen the front end of the trailer body, by putting a 4X6 of oak along the front top rail of the trailer. This strengthens the trailer and raises the log above the level of the truck's tailgate, if it's that long. Of the 2 choices noted, the flatbed car trailer is more stable to drive down the road, as it has a lower center of gravity. Good luck on your choice, just my $.02:cheers:

Latest posts

Back