What kind of wood is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CajunBoy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up a truck load of wood today from local tree removal service. Please help me with identifying this wood and how will it be to split and burn?

Thanks for all the help i'm pretty new to this but i love it.

I will guess red maple. Burns ok. Somewhere about in the middle of the scale.

Edit:
TreePointer beat me to it. Good guess I might add. Hope your right. Haha!

Last edited:
Looks like maple to me too. Been down and/or dead a while from bark appearance and separation

Just a suggestion from looking at first pic

I try and cut limbs off as close and parallel to trunk as possible

Same effort, and don't have those those pesky lil "nubbies" that are in pic get to be a PITA when splittin, stackin, and burnin

Works 4 me

Best regards

Alright thanks guys... come to think about I should have recognized it being maple from the little buds on the branches

What, you say? A Beech to split? Then it aint maple. Bring a couple pieces over here and lets see what you've got.

All of our maple is currently seeded out. Unmistakable bright red seeds on almost every twig. Plenty of opportunity to compare what you have to the live ones in the swamp.

Beech is my bet. I've split a good bit of Maple, and even the knotty pieces were comparatively easy to work. Knotty, Nasty Old Beech is, well, you said it, as far as splitting.

It is good firewood though. Only a little less than Hickory for BTU/cord.

Last edited:
Based on the comments about it here, and looking at the pictures I also will vote Beech. I always refer to it as looking like "Elephant skin", and the pictures show it to have that greyish color to it. It's very good firewood; we have it here in PA., but I rarely get any for fuelwood, but I wish that I could. Years ago, I scored a huge fallen Beech that was in the woods, and I carried each round 75 steps to haul it out over the rough terrain-it was very well worth it in my opinion. It burned nice with a lively flame, and threw very good heat.

That was years ago when I was younger; I'd probably do it again, but I'd pay for it somehow but it'd be worth it-good score! :clap:

I split the mysterious maple or beech wood today and it was very stringy. The hydo splitter had no problem with it but there is no way it was being done by hand and axe. The wood also was farely white with a hint of red tint to it

Looks like our swamp Maple...surprised to see it grows down there in the Bayou.

Yessir. Acer Rubrim. Also known as Swamp Maple, Red Maple, Scarlet Maple, White Maple, and/or Soft Maple. Very common down here, but rarely gets very big. Shallow rooted, and likes water, bad combination in Hurricane country. Usually blows down before it gets very big.

Bark looks a lot like Beech, but wood is soft, comparitively low BTU, easy to split compared to Beech, which is hard, high BTU, and hard to split. Therfor, my guess "Beech" since Cajunboy says what he has is hard to split.

If Cajunboy knows what kind of soil the tree came out of that would help. Lot of swamp maple in the swamp and hard clay close to the swamp, like around Lake Maurepas (LaPlace?). Very little Beech in the poorly drained soils.

Lot of Beech around Poplarville, Sandy Hook, Pearl River drainage just North of LaPlace. Beech likes better drained soils.

Back