what kinda vehicle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, you'd think I'd never "worked" out of it. But I've hauled countless bags of mortar and concrete mix and all else needed to build my house (not to mention my saws). Saturday, I hauled 2600 lbs of fieldstone in it.
buckduck? Growing up, I was a huge Willie Mays fan.... I think that's what they called him at some point. I even had a tryout for the Royals a few years back. I could never hit the curve.

And it will go through gas faster than you can say "white elephant".
They got voted in the 10 worst 4wd ever made down these ways (australasian 4wd magazine). Something along the lines of it costing as much as a rolls royce without the comfort, is as wide as a bus but without the room and uses the gas of a kenworth without the power while being designed to be shot at, and that shows(or something to that effect).

Sure is pretty though, Ill be good next year and sweet talk santa.

I think if the US prices went way up, GM, Ford etc would get more motivated and make more decent mid size motors, US carmakers have built and do build some fantastic vehicles but they only change the formula if they are pushed (look at the safety of cars in the 60's or emissions in the late 70's). Most companies thoughout the world pretty much work like that but most have felt the real squeeze of fuel prices.

One of the trucks I handle for one of the companies I climb is a LWB Landcruiser with a naturally aspirated 4l Diesel (turbo would be nice!). it carries enough kit for more than 3climbers, has a tipping box that handles a few cubic meters of chip and drags a 9 or 12inch around a city which is almost all hills. Normally its traction that gives out before anything! (nothing like smoking it up backing chippers up incredibly steep driveways!) Its no powerhouse fully loaded but does the job.

The last time I got 8mpg (and worse) I had 6 axles, 20 wheels and was hauling up to 40 tonnes.

93 ford f150 with beefed up rear springs, and heavy duty shift kit in trans. Stock 5.0 motor. 4 foot high plywood chip box over 8 foot bed. I am hoping santa will bring me a dump conversion kit from the northern catalog! 33 inch bfg all terrains. 4x4 of course

Thats beautiful, Moldy! I Like the rack on the top!

Heavy duty looking mofugger!!
dude.gif

:D

Yeah.. I like it.... Just throw all my stuff in the back turn up the stereo, and set off early - 50mph top whack - 14to16mpg if I'm careful!

Suprisingly good off road - michelin XCL sure dig through the mud

PS - all the extras - rack, bullbar, rear tow bar/ hitch I made my self - I like a bit of welding to calm down on dark winter nights - Galvanising the metalwork seems to suit the old landy look...

...Look ma.... no helmet......(!) :eek:

I feel guilty tearing this little baby down... in the way of homeowners' conservatory - the customers' always right... so it had to go...:(

I have a international 1700 CC, a gmc 3500 CC, and a corolla for doing bids. The wife just got a C320 Mercedes for Christmas.....It just doesn't seem fair. Now that I'm past the lift fiasco maybe I can buy a new chipper in the spring:blob2: .

I'll put in a shameless plug here.:D
If any of you are looking for a new work truck, I've got one for sale at:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10611

Oh, yeah, my truck?:)
'92 Dodge 1/2 Ton, 318, auto trans, 4wd (of course), shortbed. 32x11.50 tires on Outlaw II rims... 153K on it, I've put 78k on it since August of '99, and it sat for 3 months with the engine torn apart (kids, don't drink Drambuie and try to take your truck through a creek!:D)

It gets me to work and back, gets firewood to the house, and I don't have to plow the driveway except when we get really deep snow. What more could you ask for?

Dan

Acer, Moldy, you guys are making me green with envy!!!!

Ever since working in the UK I have wanted a Landrover, would love an ex MoD 110, with naturally aspirated diesel and dump box fitted. Have found a few around here, but generally they have been kicked about just a little too much for the price, thinking about shipping one over, Right hand drive is a problem tough... although not big.

Currently 4x4 F-250 superduty is my 'run around'/backyard chip truck/log hauler/gear hauler etc. TOO BIG!!!! can't park it anywhere, and even with the diesel it takes a month of profit to go the grocery store! Turning radius is awful, my Hino will out manouver it, but it's 8 feet wide...

That Hino has been incredible!!!, has an old Hiab 550 we put on it, dump box with removable top for loading logs etc, the 3.5 L turbo diesel will go all week on $40 worth of fuel! The truck has 500,000 Km on it and still runs strong, great brakes for the weight, but it won't win any drag races!

Have often thought of the small car idea for biding, I have owned a plethera of little subarus, toyotas and the like...

I'm a firm believer in the light wieght principle, at least for most of our work.

Oh yeah on the light weight thought, and small cars... Don Blairs poem Oak meets Euc, always makes me laugh about the brush trailer pulled by a wagon...

When I was in school, I owned a 84 Subaru GL wagon 4x4, and I built this bizzare 'bush trailer' to tow behind it, Hey it got me through school and was a recognizable unit around town.

Two things cme from this, first I try not to critize the pick-up truck loaded with brush crew, because I started in the same place... and maybe thay are working towards something better.

Secondly for any of the rally enthusiasts out there... I had painted the 84 Gl blue and yellow in support of the 555 Subaru team at the time, Our company colours have remained true, and to this day we still are blue with yellow lettering/logos, its good to remember were you came from. (hey that almost makes me feel proud of 'the company')

Matt,

If you are serious about importing a 110, have a look at this site They deal with ex MOD vehicles, and know the ins and outs of exporting, and they should have plenty of LHD vehicles. They might even have some winterised versions (don't know how cold it gets where you are). This is where I got my 110 from. You probably know that the normally aspirated diesel versions are pretty underpowered by modern standards, but they just go on and on. They're great for towing, and the lack of power doesn't matter off road. If you've got the right tyres, they'll go almost anywhere.

Wonderful site!
tried to send a e-mail URL problem, will try again later

I might just get a Land Rover... I might just get a Land Rover, du da, du da

Latest posts

Back