What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:)

0830121434-M.jpg

The little I use manual machines, I tend to rough out cranking the handles. Then do the finish passes using power feed. If you know the tool/material limits well you can remove alot of material quickly manually feeding.

If you know the tool/material limits well you can remove alot of material quickly manually feeding.

And by increasing the rate of feed with a power feed machine. I use PF 99% of the time unless i am using the compound. I can't stand anymore burns on my hands turning the handwheels if i don't need to...Bob

I do lots of small milling with my lathe. I don't use a milling attachment. I have a home made toolpost with big slots that i can clamp the part into say for cutting a keyway in a small shaft. I shim the tool post so that the part is on center and use a steel rule to check the height. 2nd pic. If the part is too high or low the steel rule will lean and not be plumb straight up and down. The collet chuck as well as the tool post were made by me after some thought as what i would need. I had lots of midnight shifts at work just thinking of stuff to make. The last pic is a cross slide hole driller that uses a hand drill and is mounted in a steel block on the lathe centerline. I can drill holes straight in like 90 degrees to the work or on an angle like the pic. This part is a shotgun barrell for my dad that needs a gas port drilled in it. It was off a Rem 870 and now fits an 1100 because of the hole. His buddy was drilling them in a milling machine with lots of trouble and broken bits. I had no problems and no broken bits doing it my way. I have 1000's of how to do it pics that i can show off :clap: since i have been doing this for 37 years or so. Enjoy...Bob

I have a little grizzly but hasn't seen much use. Randy you said you put a new chuck on yours to do this type of work. What one would you guys suggest and where to get em

Latest posts

Back