What makes a top-handle saw more dangerous than others???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ned Netterville

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
atp[ Walden Ridge overlooking Sequatchie Valley, T
I've been using a 009L for over a decade, which has a top handle. Thinking of replacing it with a 192TC for felling small trees and cutting up small branches (both trees and limbs under 6") and occasional climbing and trimming. Stihl says it is only for pro use in trees. What say you guys???

I was about to say "Welcome to A.S.!", but it looks like you have been a member for a while!

There are several threads on this if you search for them. You will see lots of opinions. Bottom line, is that two hands on a chainsaw give the user better control. The balance of a top handled saw allows people to use it more easily with one hand, hence, an increased risk of injury. Also, when two hands are used, the spacing of the handles on a conventional saw provide the user greater leverage in controlling the saw than on a top handle saw, especially in potential kick-back situations.

For in-tree work, the compact, top handle design is a compromise that allows certain types of trimming and limbing tasks that would be difficult with a conventional saw. They are not intended for falling. Glad that you have not been injured.

You will also have more choices in conventional saws.

Philbert

Top handle saws ARE NOT more dangerous to use. The leverage argument doesn't hold water because the bars are short. People use them with less care because they are small not because of the top handle.

(Told you that you would see lots of opinions!!!!)

Philbert

Some of the other threads (especially on using a top handled saw for out-of-the-tree use):

http://www.arboristsite.com/commercial-tree-care-climbing/20178.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/commercial-tree-care-climbing/9118.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/220021.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/211539.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/175370.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/47154.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/58728.htm

When I was young and strong I sometimes used a Mac 1010 with a 20 inch bar one handed up the tree in big stuff. Right now I sometimes use the little 5020 one handed to reach out to cut limbs. When I get to 80 I may have to back off and use one of those toy stihls.

I've been using a 009L for over a decade, which has a top handle. Thinking of replacing it with a 192TC for felling small trees and cutting up small branches (both trees and limbs under 6") and occasional climbing and trimming. Stihl says it is only for pro use in trees. What say you guys???

Sounds like you really don't need a top handle saw for that work. If you are set on a pro model look at the 260 which is a light, powerful ground saw. Rear handle and it will BLOW that 009 away :rock:

I am of course assuming that you don't do much climbing work, can't imagine an 009 as a trim saw for 10 minutes in a tree much less 10 years!!!

And we actually have an 009L around here, its sole purpose is to cut bushes off low to the ground on jobs where the stumps are not being ground out. Saves the "good" saws from seeing dirt on the chains, and bars

Good luck

Also, unless the top handle offers you a real advantage (not sure it does for ground work...), you are paying a fair amount for something you don't need. A good quality "conventional" saw will be a chunk of change cheaper.

(If you use it with both hands, I am not sure it is more dangerous....just too many people make every cut with one hand because they can. That is dumb.)

top handle saws are like hand guns get it wrong much easier to shoot yourself. The conventional saws are like long arm or rifles you can do it but really need to try.

Look at the stat's here, how many hits to which hand ?? and then how many hits to the right hand??? Yes that's right nil nix none you go one handed or reach over the top to handle limbs while sawing you going to get pain stitches real soon.

attachment.php

oh yeah it also proves left handed people are way smarter as they dont cut their right free hand when using the left on the saw

top handle saws are like hand guns get it wrong much easier to shoot yourself. The conventional saws are like long arm or rifles you can do it but really need to try.

Look at the stat's here, how many hits to which hand ?? and then how many hits to the right hand??? Yes that's right nil nix none you go one handed or reach over the top to handle limbs while sawing you going to get pain stitches real soon.

attachment.php

oh yeah it also proves left handed people are way smarter as they dont cut their right free hand when using the left on the saw

LOL tha'ts a good one.

Sounds like you really don't need a top handle saw for that work. If you are set on a pro model look at the 260 which is a light, powerful ground saw. Rear handle and it will BLOW that 009 away :rock:

I am of course assuming that you don't do much climbing work, can't imagine an 009 as a trim saw for 10 minutes in a tree much less 10 years!!!

And we actually have an 009L around here, its sole purpose is to cut bushes off low to the ground on jobs where the stumps are not being ground out. Saves the "good" saws from seeing dirt on the chains, and bars

Good luck

192 isn't a pro model.

Thanks!!!

I don't think I've ever been to a forum to get answers that provided as much sound advice right to the point of my question as this Arboristsite. Thanks to everyone who commented, and particularly for the links to other threads. The concept that the lightweight temps the one-handed use makes perfect sense. Gracias!:)

they are compact and neutral weighted with the right bar and chain..people tend to overlook the safety aspect for the convenience. If every cut was made at arm reach away..they are a little more dangerous..I used a MS250 one handed for years..luckily never had an incident. when I finally pooled my funds and bought a MS200t..I noticed myself getting careless. I actually nicked a glove(still counting my blessings). just so easy to forget the fundamentals. I sold my first stihl to a co-worker and invited him over to show him how to buck and cut. I am an idiot. I have forgotten more than I learned because I know how kickback works and toe loading and sharpening chains evenly. My buddy called me on it. I said..don't ever do that!...not the best teacher.. for the record. he has never been hurt either. thanks for small miracles. I have seen some really bad videos.

I sum it up as the ability to use one handed.
Jeff

Yep, and thus easy to forget just where that other hand is. I nicked my hand once due dto that. The desigenof the saw aslo almost forces one to use it one-handed.

The "professional use only" is Stihl's policy and some dealers won't sell to anyone else, some will. I bought one last spring and commented that it was not a "pro" saw (192T) Dealer said it was as t was for "pro use only" I pointed out that was a bit different from a "pro grade saw", the 211T is equivalent pro saw.

I was surprised dto see that the 192T has an outboard clutch and yes, I already got the thill of dropping the power head off a stuck bar with outboard clutch!

Harry K

Latest posts

Back