What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is difference in acceleration difference is negligible between the two saws. The 346 might be a hair quicker, no real world difference, don't give a **** if your limbing, bucking, cleaning out fence rows etc. After removing the removing the limiter on the 261 yesterday and fattening it up some like MCW did in his post, it made a significant improvement in performance. Now there is no doubt a blind man could tell which saw is the stronger of the two.
It's sad saw companies have to set saws up so lean to pass the epa bs. The guys are correct for the 346xp needing 10 or 15 tanks run through it before they can see it's full potential as with most saws.
I was at my dealer yesterday and the saw tech told me that another commercial cutter had used his 261 to cut around 50 cord so far and he bought another one this week to replace a 310 stihl he his hired help uses. The other cutter supposedly thought is was as strong as a 310 or stronger, which I'll have to agree with.

The 261 is a Stihl. I have thought for several days and this is the best answer I could come up with. LOL. Sorry Husky guys.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Why should Husky guys be sad all you can come up with is a silly response? Especially that it took you several days to think of it. :hmm3grin2orange:

I looked at some Huskys again this afternoon and I just can't get over their plastic and switches. No offense to the Husky lovers out there but the plastic looks cheap and the switch/s feel flimsy. I know you Husky guys don't report any issues but to me, the Stihl stuff looks and feels to be on a completely different and higher level here. But, that said, I still find myself attracted to the smaller size of the 346 and the fact that I can get one for $90 less than a 261. $90!!

Can you get most or all of the parts for the 346 online?

I looked at some Huskys again this afternoon and I just can't get over their plastic and switches. No offense to the Husky lovers out there but the plastic looks cheap and the switch/s feel flimsy. I know you Husky guys don't report any issues but to me, the Stihl stuff looks and feels to be on a completely different and higher level here. But, that said, I still find myself attracted to the smaller size of the 346 and the fact that I can get one for $90 less than a 261. $90!!

No breakage issues at all. I gotta agree that they kinda feel flimsy though. The choke drives me nuts with the flexing when I'm wearing gloves, but they flex like mad instead of breaking unless you really do something silly.

Parts can be had online easy...and without the Stihl Wallet rape.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Usually, the info on the bar is stamped on the Oregon made ones, while it is etched on the original Husky ones. Also, the rivet patterns at the nose sprocket are different.

The latest Husky bars we've been getting here are laser-engraved on the tail with all the info. I think they're Oregon bars packaged for Husky.

Like said, the switch/choke on the 346 is very flexible, wont break. Is also fixed to the carb which is rubber mounted against vibration. It's all kind of floating and isolated from the body of the saw. It works and works very well! The only parts I've needed for my old one, are 2 clutch springs and 3 fuel lines, easy to get locally, or online.

Last edited:
After using the 346XP, I like the choke/on-off switch better than better than the Stihl set up.

The latest Husky bars we've been getting here are laser-engraved on the tail with all the info. I think they're Oregon bars packaged for Husky.

If so, that's new - in the past, all the engraved ones I have seen have been Norwegian made "original" Husky ones, while the Oregon made ones have been stamped. The rivet pattern of the nose sprocket have also been different.

:)

That's like asking which is better;

Ford?

Chevy?

Dodge?

It will go without saying which 2 will get the Lions share of the votes.

The question shoud be;

Which saw has the biggest following?

Everybody knows "if I got one then it's gotta be the best"

I agree. When you think about it, why should a choke, fast idle be incorporated with and on/off switch? Needlessly complicated.
(Saw Troll, I'd thought we'd throw a little gas on the fire).

Can't tell if you're being facetious or not but I thought the controls on the 346 were complicated. With the 261, there's one little lever....that's solid...and moves only up and down. The 346, as I recall, has two different things to mess with.

I look at the other Huskies in the store and ask myself "do I pull or push that one...and what about this one, do I push it up or down....what the hell's going on with all these levers????". With the Stihl, it's real obvious. One lever that goes up or down.

That said, I have only used a Husky once...maybe a 350 or something like that. It's probably not a big deal. Just an observation.....

Oh, and not only can I get the 346 for $90 less than the 261, there's a case being thrown in with the 346 too! A soft case but still......all that's quite a difference to a tight guy like me.

Now, if only the 346 retained every positive attribute it had plus had the Stihl flippy caps (I like'em on my 260), the Stihl bar nuts, the Stihl filter, the Stihl dealer around the corner, and the Stihl powerband.......

To dream......

Last edited:
by rustyb ~ Oh, and not only can I get the 346 for $90 less than the 261, there's a case being thrown in with the 346 too! A soft case but still......all that's quite a difference to a tight guy like me.

My STIHL came w/o a case. I tried improvising because I'm tight too, but nothing satisfied me. After a few times of my saw rolling around in the back of the truck I took a hard swallow :taped: , and put that saw in its :greenchainsaw: case where it belongs. :clap: Quality Costs but it can be satisfying too;).

Well if you want to talk dealer service. My dealer threw in a Husqvarna square carrying case for $20 and a pair of discontinued Husqvarna chainsaw pants for $25.

Oh, and not only can I get the 346 for $90 less than the 261, there's a case being thrown in with the 346 too! A soft case but still......all that's quite a difference to a tight guy like me.

Now, if only the 346 retained every positive attribute it had plus had the Stihl flippy caps (I like'em on my 260), the Stihl bar nuts, the Stihl filter, the Stihl dealer around the corner, and the Stihl powerband.......

To dream......

My only complaint on the flippy caps is that they tend to collect gunk, in the worst possible places - but it never has caused me any real problems on either my MS361 or my FS200 - just some extra cleaning. :msp_wink:

No matter what brand, or what type fuel/oil cap, I always take an old paint brush and clean off all the crap before removing them for filling. I guess it's what your used too, I hard the same initial impression of the 346's plastic and controls, even posted about it when I got it. We haven't busted anything yet, our saws don't now what a case looks like. They ride on a metal flatbed for a living. I personally like the Stihl control better, buts that's what I've used for years. Don't let the control issue run you off the 346, it won't break unless you abuse it.

Back