What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do think the Stihl ES oem bar on the 261 is a heck of a lot better quality bar than the oem oregon that comes on the 346xp. I need to buy a sugi bar for the 346xp.

Indian, I used to think the oregon/husky bar was sub-quality. But when I wanted to try a 16" on my new 346 a few months ago, I pulled out the old original bar that came on my 10 year old 346. After cleaning it up, I was very surprised how good of shape it was in. It's still on the new saw and cuts fine, it's also very light weight. The sugi is a fine bar and likely better? (I have two) But they are a bit heavier than the laminated oregon/husky bar.

Indian, I used to think the oregon/husky bar was sub-quality. But when I wanted to try a 16" on my new 346 a few months ago, I pulled out the old original bar that came on my 10 year old 346. After cleaning it up, I was very surprised how good of shape it was in. It's still on the new saw and cuts fine, it's also very light weight. The sugi is a fine bar and likely better? (I have two) But they are a bit heavier than the laminated oregon/husky bar.

The light Norwegian made Husky bars have never been crap, unless you regard all laminated bars as crap.....:msp_rolleyes:

Try Oregon LPX! :msp_wink:

SawTroll; that'd be a Full-Chisel too. Wouldn't it be just as wide a tooth as the RSC ?
I don't see the advantage of energy used to make a bigger kerf in the log when a Semi can get the job done with less stress. I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something.:popcorn:

SawTroll; that'd be a Full-Chisel too. Wouldn't it be just as wide a tooth as the RSC ?
I don't see the advantage of energy used to make a bigger kerf in the log when a Semi can get the job done with less stress. I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something.:popcorn:

The cutters aren't as wide as on the RSC in .325 - I guess that is part of the reason it is a bit faster in the cut in.

The cutters aren't as wide as on the RSC in .325 - I guess that is part of the reason it is a bit faster in the cut in.

You know I didn't realize how wide that RS tooth was till I happen to lay it side by side with a Semi, and did I ever do a double take of it ! I like experimenting so I may take a whack with one of those Oregon's LPX.

I like semi-chisel better than chisel in Stihl and Oregon. Cutting mostly dead Oak. Stays sharp much longer and seem to cut just as fast, if not a little faster (for me).

I like semi-chisel better than chisel in Stihl and Oregon. Cutting mostly dead Oak. Stays sharp much longer and seem to cut just as fast, if not a little faster (for me).

I haven't used the .325" Semi yet, but it seems the less resistance the faster it will cut. I'm thinning one area with dead oak, and clearing another along a fence row with some good sized live elm and red oak. So getting close to the ground, the stump seems to be hardest and takes the longest cutting time.

Ok, getting a 261 is no problem at all for me. The dealer is 5 mins from my house and I actually like the people there...which goes a long ways, I'm finding. As for the 346, two places in town will order one for me. One says $520 and the other, who doesn't know which end cuts, says $550!!!!

Anyone know of an online dealer that could get a 346 to my door for a more sane price?

Quote from another thread. Good place to order and at a great price.

I bought my 346 from Alamia with no problems. It was $459, with 18"bar, shipped to my door. It was the non-cat one as well. They shipped it quickly too. I highly recommend them.

Edit to add; not my quote, I bought my latest one from local dealer for $475.

Last edited:
I gave about 475.00-480.00 for my 346xpne a little over a year ago.
Troll, I don't believe these newer 346xpne's sold in the USA have Norwegian bars on them. We do a lot more cutting than most, but after a 14/15 months my 346 needs a new bar. It's all in how much you use a saw. We do get more life out of the Stihl ES bars at the expense of a little more weight. The oem bar would last a home owner many years. I need an excuse to try a sugi bar anyway.:msp_smile:

I gave about 475.00-480.00 for my 346xpne a little over a year ago.
Troll, I don't believe these newer 346xpne's sold in the USA have Norwegian bars on them. We do a lot more cutting than most, but after a 14/15 months my 346 needs a new bar. It's all in how much you use a saw. We do get more life out of the Stihl ES bars at the expense of a little more weight. The oem bar would last a home owner many years. I need an excuse to try a sugi bar anyway.:msp_smile:

:laugh::laugh:

Btw, all new US 346xps I have seen pics of lately had the Norwegian made bars on them, except when someone obviously had changed out the bar.

:laugh::laugh:

Btw, all new US 346xps I have seen pics of lately had the Norwegian made bars on them, except when someone obviously had changed out the bar.

The bar on the 346 I stumbled on here are stamped "Made in Canada".

I just took my bar off on the 346, it has no markings on it as to where it was made. It has what I assume is a part number, but other than that really no way for the average person to tell where it was made at. Maybe it was painted on the bar...........but I use a saw enough that the paint was gone within a couple of weeks.

Usually, the info on the bar is stamped on the Oregon made ones, while it is etched on the original Husky ones. Also, the rivet patterns at the nose sprocket are different.

Thanks for the info, it's rivet pattern is almost a square. The only stamping on it is the part number? I could verily make out the husky logo etched (just the H ) the bar has had a lot of use. The sprocket tips are worn to a u shape rather than the sharp points like it was when it was new. In all fairness, a bar is just a wear item in my business. I do however, speaking totally objectively get more life out of the es bars than I do the oregon bars. The oregon that came on my efco didn't last a whole season. I admit I'm not really up on their bar line, but they must make several different grades.

Well I think I am going to pull the trigger this summer and buy a 346XP. I have a 026 Stihl and even though the 346XP is a couple hundred more than the MS261 here in Canada, I gotta drink the Kool-Aid and buy the 346XP. If I was to buy the MS261 I would always be wondering about the 346XP and not the other way around. I guess because I already have a stihl and never owned a husky.

Well I think I am going to pull the trigger this summer and buy a 346XP. I have a 026 Stihl and even though the 346XP is a couple hundred more than the MS261 here in Canada, I gotta drink the Kool-Aid and buy the 346XP. If I was to buy the MS261 I would always be wondering about the 346XP and not the other way around. I guess because I already have a stihl and never owned a husky.

When you pull the trigger on the buy. You will be happy you bought the one you bought. Once I bought the MS261 and ran it. I knew I made the right choice for me. The 346XP you will like as much as those that use their's here.

Latest posts

Back