What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is an older bar, I don't really know, and the early Husky ones were likely made in Sweden by Sandvik or something like that - then, at some point, they moved the production to Norway, on a factory they owned.

Only laminated bars are made there, including the new Tech-Lite RSN ones. "Standard" RSN ones have been either Oregon or (once in a blue moon) GB, as far as I know.

Well I think I am going to pull the trigger this summer and buy a 346XP. I have a 026 Stihl and even though the 346XP is a couple hundred more than the MS261 here in Canada, I gotta drink the Kool-Aid and buy the 346XP. If I was to buy the MS261 I would always be wondering about the 346XP and not the other way around. I guess because I already have a stihl and never owned a husky.

Good choise! :clap::clap:

If it is a comfort, the price difference is larger here, but the 261 doesn't interest me at all......

Lots of good info in this thread. I'm sure all the readers have appreciated those who have taken the time to post. I know I do!

Now...... if only someone would take a photo of the 260, 261 and 346 all sitting side by side looking down on them, this thread would be close to complete. (wink, wink... hint, hint)

Last edited:
today I took an Partner lawn mower to husky dealer and a Stihl trimmer to Stihl dealer;
I must say that over here Stihl give a far better support.
I saw the 260 and the 261 side by side on the shelf.
and the 261 seems way bigger (for good reason)
but I wouldn`t discourage a friend to get it for bucking; but for limbing I think it is fair to say that the 346 is way better; in my opinion there is no contest.
this 261 vs 346 is fun but nothing more.
cheers.
btw, does anyone else have the lawnmower Husqvarna R 152 SV ?
pm if you do; I need to ask about the bag blockage
thanks.

When you pull the trigger on the buy. You will be happy you bought the one you bought. Once I bought the MS261 and ran it. I knew I made the right choice for me. The 346XP you will like as much as those that use their's here.

There is something "magic" with the 346xp - and it is a saw with personality......:msp_biggrin:

With all the talk....I drug home a new 2011 non epa 346 today. Did a MM to make it comparable to the 261. Should get them in wood tomorrow. Will let out tame saw driver Grandpatractor run them both at the GTG for comparison as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

With all the talk....I drug home a new 2011 non epa 346 today. Did a MM to make it comparable to the 261. Should get them in wood tomorrow. Will let out tame saw driver Grandpatractor run them both at the GTG for comparison as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Excellent, Mweba! Now, could you do me a favor and set those two saws side by side and take a photo while standing over them....just like Sunfish did in the following thread, post #10? I want to see the difference in width and length between these saws.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/170302.htm

Would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Those two look good together!

To make a good comparison, get a few tanks run though that 346xp first. My new 346xp was an absolute dog the first few tanks. I mean it was pitiful. I was going to get rid of it, if it didn't do better, but it slowly got stronger. At 10-11 tanks of mix it finally started cuttin like a 346 should.

My 026 used to beat up on my new NE346 until about 8 tanks now thats changing. I too was thinking of getting rid of it but glad I kept it.

My 026 used to beat up on my new NE346 until about 8 tanks now thats changing. I too was thinking of getting rid of it but glad I kept it.

I know what you mean. I don't remember my 10 year old one acting like this. It cut like a 'bat out of hell' from the start. But now I'm very glad I kept the new one.:)

Here you go. Not sure were my head is but I also own a 5100s and didn't think to get it in on the photo shoot. Funny, that is my go to saw.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I must say.....I had forgotten about the staggering acceleration the 346 has. If any advantage the Husky has over the 261, it is that.

Here you go. Not sure were my head is but I also own a 5100s and didn't think to get it in on the photo shoot. Funny, that is my go to saw.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mweba,

You are a good man!! Thank you for doing that!!

Comparatively speaking, the 261 doesn't look as big as I thought it would. However, I think it's an allusion caused from Stihl's two part color scheme. My eye wants to focus on the orange in the middle while leaving the white out. It's obviously longer than the 346 and the handle wider.

Any way, thanks again!

Mweba,

You are a good man!! Thank you for doing that!!

Comparatively speaking, the 261 doesn't look as big as I thought it would. However, I think it's an allusion caused from Stihl's two part color scheme. My eye wants to focus on the orange in the middle while leaving the white out. It's obviously longer than the 346 and the handle wider.

Any way, thanks again!

My pleasure. The 261 is near 1.5" longer and yes the handle is a bit wider. The main different I "feel" is the 261 rear handle is quite a bit lower. Not bad, just different ergonomics.

Many times in this thread it has been mentioned, these saws are neck and neck. It all comes down to how it "feels" for you.

The 261 is a Stihl. I have thought for several days and this is the best answer I could come up with. LOL. Sorry Husky guys.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

The 261 is a Stihl. I have thought for several days and this is the best answer I could come up with. LOL. Sorry Husky guys.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

We'll give you a couple more days.

Great shots Mweba! The 346 is definitely the slimmer of the two and this really shows how much closer the bar is to the center of the saw.

I could probably be happy with either, or both, but the size and weight of the 346xp is what first attracted me 10 years ago. The speed and power was a pleasant surprise! I had no idea. :D

I could probably be happy with either, or both, but the size and weight of the 346xp is what first attracted me 10 years ago. The speed and power was a pleasant surprise! I had no idea. :D

I agree Don, but it wasn't quite 10 years ago for me. Every time I run the 346 I wonder how they got such a fast cutting, high power machine in such a small easy handling package.

Latest posts

Back