What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....... The 261 has a few features the I definately prefer over the 346. But using the 346 is just............it's just............well, perfect.

Well that's very informative,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not.:tongue2:

Both are fine saws the may have a little more power, and better filtration. Like Brad I simply like the the feel, weight power and overall construction of the 346.

No surprices there, based on the lay-out of the saws! :D

Well that's very informative,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not.:tongue2:

I reckon if it came from one of you Buckeye chainsaw mafia types it would be informative,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT!

Like my dear Daddy used to say "opinions are like a$$holes, everybodys got 'em, they all stink"

I just posted in another thread about these two models.
I have both, they are used in a commercial firewood business and I prefer the 261. They 346xp was and is the only Husky I owned, it is a great saw. For use in what is almost strictly a firewood cutting operation we like what we perceive as a wider more useable power band on the 261 . (Stock saw/non-modified) The air filter set up is the best on the market. The in board clutch and captive bar nuts are two things we prefer on the 261. The 261 is the smoothest saw you will ever run imho. We have ours set up with a 18" bar. For people who cut firewood for themselves this saw will handle 90% of what any firewood cutter will ever run across. Set all the enthusiast and power junkies aside on this site and the truth is this saw will do all that most will need done unless you truly are a professional tree trimmer, logger, or in the commercial firewood business.
It's hard to go wrong with either saw, both are good as said in another post dealer support and personal preference is important.
I'd buy the 261 and never look back.

I've run both saws, and find this all to be true. The 346 is impressive but the 346 seems to have a narrower powerband. The 261 isn't such an in your face power but it's very usable power, and plenty of it.

I just played both videos at the same time. Sounds good with the volume turned up. :rock:

My you tube page has around 250 chainsaw vids.......just start hitting play and hear what you get LOL.

I know this hasn't been discussed but I may get some side by side with the 5100 soon. Granted, even with K&N oil on the Dolmar filter, it is no way comparable.

My you tube page has around 250 chainsaw vids.......just start hitting play and hear what you get LOL.

I know this hasn't been discussed but I may get some side by side with the 5100 soon. Granted, even with K&N oil on the Dolmar filter, it is no way comparable.

Hah hah. We can both do a 261 vs. 5100-S shoot off video :) My little Dolmar would give the 261 a touch up in small stuff but the torque of the 261 in anything even slightly large would kick the poor little Dolmar's butt. I still love that little thing though, it's like a Ferrari compared to the 261 which is more like a tractor :)

I reckon if it came from one of you Buckeye chainsaw mafia types it would be informative,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT!

Like my dear Daddy used to say "opinions are like a$$holes, everybodys got 'em, they all stink"
Looks like you're Daddy forgot to teach you to wipe yours. You're smearing crap everywhere:laugh:

Are we forgetting the Dolmar HD setup guys??? :D
I like this filter setup even better. I don't care for the retainer mechanism on the 7900 HD. Plus it's standard equipment.

I bought the 346xp and did a easy muffler mod with the 288 deflector and love this saw. Here if you campare Stihl and Husqvarna saw for saw the Stihl will always be 50.00 or more,more. All saws are overpriced, but Stihl here cost the most of any saw, but probably last the longest. Just my 2 cents but I prefer husqvarna's.

Looks like you're Daddy forgot to teach you to wipe yours. You're smearing crap everywhere:laugh:

I like this filter setup even better. I don't care for the retainer mechanism on the 7900 HD. Plus it's standard equipment.

Thick as thieves eh?

Yeah my opinion stinks just like everyones

I bought the 346xp and did a easy muffler mod with the 288 deflector and love this saw. Here if you campare Stihl and Husqvarna saw for saw the Stihl will always be 50.00 or more,more. All saws are overpriced, but Stihl here cost the most of any saw, but probably last the longest. Just my 2 cents but I prefer husqvarna's.

They cost 50$ more but they don't depreciate, like other saws. Heck you can sell a 15 year old good running 026 for more than 50% than the cost of the saw new today.

They cost 50$ more but they don't depreciate, like other saws. Heck you can sell a 15 year old good running 026 for more than 50% than the cost of the saw new today.

I am a big husky fan, but this is a very true statement. They hold there value better than anything here.

Here's my 2 cents , if it wasn't for my 066 I wouldn't own an overpriced Stihl, the only reason I do like them is all the goofy people on e-bay who pay an arm and a leg for them and I thank them for that !!!:hmm3grin2orange::bowdown::bowdown:

I haven't run a brand new 346NE, so I can't speak on that. I did get a chance to run a new 261 at the shop the other day and it's a sweetie. Even stock it cuts circles around any 026/260 I've ever had. I have owned new 346OE's and the 261 outclasses those by a mile.

OK, you got me there smartypants...

If I hadn't noticed that Andy "liked" your comment things could have gotten nasty having though a dig at the Dolmars like that!!! ;)

I am wondering if at some point one brand will buy the other; just like Makita/Dolmar.
Truth be told I`ve missed this kind of threads; and the best part of all is that one who looks for a 50 cc saw can`t go wrong either way.

The MS261 cost a lot less than the 346xp here, but I am still not interested, because of the obvious handling issue.........:msp_smile:

The MS261 cost a lot less than the 346xp here, but I am still not interested, because of the obvious handling issue.........:msp_smile:

I was about to have a fit and start ranting and raving about you and this handling issue but saw your smiley face so settled down again :cheers:

Back