What McCulloch is This?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1-51, 1-52, or 1-53; hope for the 52 or 53 as they are 87 cc and have bearings in the piston, the 1-51 is 80 cc and has no bearings. 1-52 should have a Tillotson HL carburetor, 1-53 would normally have the MAC.

Flip the saw over and look for the model number stamped in the bottom of the crank case. This particular saw is a 1-50, serial number 8700.

View attachment 636518

Mark
Mark has already answered that question for me. I've just been too busy to check it out.

Yep, It's anywhere from a 1-43, 1-46, 1-51, 1-52, 1-53, 1-56 and another number or two like maybe 250. You can find the model on the block casing, Mark can tell you where if you do not already know.
Once you find the exact model you can do a sold search on flea bay to get a value or just do a regular search and see if any are for sale. If they say vintage Kart saw engine, some are modded to fit onto a go kart which seller use to described to up the price of the motor.
Very heavy saw and price of shipping sometimes cost more than price of the saw.

I've got 3 or 4 of them that I only use when I get a big log down and just lay the saw on top and hold the throttle down and let the weight of the saw do the cutting.
Some are really hard to start if they have been in storage and quite common for carb too need a kit.
A not desirable carb was the McCulloch carb and most have a tillotson carb HL type and you can go to the tillotson carb site to see the description.

Not a very desirable saw IMHO unless you are a Mac collector. Very heavy for the power to weight and usually have to have the throttle tied wide open for most to start after giving them a prime of gas and have the saw on the ground especially when the engine is cold. (and when they are running correct and the carb correctly adjusted they really sound good and like to make the 4 stroke sound.
Takes a real man to operate one of these type McCulloch's, no Nancy's or Pansies.;)

Here is couple of ebay links just to give you an idea of a 80CC 1-53

The first link is some for sale and the second link in next post is some that have sold.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=mcculloch+1-53&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=mcculloch+1-53&_sacat=0

Well, 80cc's is 5 cubes. Certainly respectable. And the Mac's of this size and vintage are neat old school saw for sure.

But I tend to focus on the bigger stuff - 6 cubes and up - perhaps the .50 cal equivalent?

Thanks,

Scott
This exhaust system will let you and all the other animals in the forest know that you are serious about rock and roll..everything said about these hard starting, wrist breaking, choking, coughing, and farting machines are true. And a real pleasure to run.......in moderation.........cheers. KIMG_20180224_131301.jpg IMG_20180224_131301.jpg

Back