What model mcculloch??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tigerrider11

tigerrider11

ArboristSite Member
I just got this older Mcculloch. From some quick research I'm thinking its a 5-10, but I want your opinion.
What do you think it is?
IMG_3152.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

mactodd

mactodd

ArboristSite Operative
The red on/off switch is from an E-start Mac 10. It does not lock the compression release in place. On the E-start models, pressing the button down engaged the starter switch and opened the CR. The handle also has the hole for the throttle lock, which was used on several different models. I't probably a mutt. Don't lose any sleep over it. If it runs, cut with it. It does appear to have the wide flywheel cover, which would indicate it may have originally been an E-start model. The extra screw in the strap that runs from the handle to under the saw also is a clue to a 70cc saw, which could mean it is a 5-10E. The plastic plugs in the tank assy are indicators that it had a Walbro carb conversion kit installed to replace the original Mac "bullfrog" carb. I just picked up one of those conversion kits on Evil bay .

Last edited:
alderman

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Not meaning to disrail your thread, but does the clutch stick out enough to fill that cup on the clutch cover? Just curious as I know nothing about Mac's.

bob15

bob15

ArboristSite Operative
A 6-10 and one 10-10 series also had that style de-compression button.

The clutch cover looks like its an "E" model (the picture shows it looking wider than a non-E start saw, at least to me), but no battery pack on the lower part of the handle. Not saying it couldn't be a mongrel saw (I've made a few myself.....).

heimannm
Bob - are you in fact referring to the flywheel cover on the left hand side of the saw? It does indeed look to be from an electric start model, as does the red starter/compression release button.

Charles - lookinig through some additional IPL's and photo's I see that there was a 3-10 DSP (fact is I have one, forgot about the compression release on that one) and that some 6-10 models had the compression release valve above the muffler like that one. May be some other models as well, I haven't studied all of them in great detail.

The air filter cover is more like my older 1-10, not like the 3-10E or 3-10 DSP that I have.

To the OP, remove the muffler and put a wire through the exhaust port to measure the bore to determine if it is a 50 cc or 70 cc version.

Mark

tigerrider11

tigerrider11

ArboristSite Member
I took a quick look at it before work the other day and the only numbers I found were right on the bottom of the block: 1057
I will do the wire trick to determine the bore tomorrow...

Eccentric

Eccentric

Mister Wizard
I took a quick look at it before work the other day and the only numbers I found were right on the bottom of the block: 1057
I will do the wire trick to determine the bore tomorrow...

Use something that won't scratch the bore to do your measuring. Popsicle sticks work well (but don't always fit through the ex port). Plastic straws and stiff coper wire works well too. Improvise....:D

tigerrider11

tigerrider11

ArboristSite Member
Here are some more pics of the same saw... still haven't measured the bore, but it seems like there could have been a battery pack in place at one time... the exact model is still a mystery as the tag behind the carb is missing. dont pay attention to the carb as its new to the saw...
one this that might lead to this saw's identification is the air cleaner cover... it has a smooth top surface, long sides, and only 3 vent slots on each side in the rear... hmmm

DSC01826.jpg

DSC01825.jpg

DSC01824.jpg

DSC01823.jpg

DSC01821.jpg

DSC01820.jpg

DSC01817.jpg

DSC01815.jpg