What neat trick, tip invention idea do you have to make things easy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stacked tires to hold wood while I use the wrist twist to pop rounds into splits.

Super glue to speed healing of small cuts. Rope with both ends tied to rear of truck to unload brush. Chain-link come-along made in Tulsa, OK. Most important, Grandpa and Uncles with patience to fully answer every "how come..." from a hyper kid.:bowdown:

When working on McCullochs I keep a magnet in my hand when I pull off the rod cap to catch the bearing needles. It weakly magnetizes the needles themselves. Enough so that when I reinstall them, they stick to the journal rather than going everywhere :bang:.

Bad idea to magnetize any internal part that is steel of a reciprocating or rotating assembly. It causes the part to draw and hold micro steel chips or metal flakes. That leads to excessive wear. Just use grease and it will go away when the heat shows up.

Why do you think most parts that are forged steel are demagnetized after they are heat treated and a magnet is added to the case or pan away from the rotating parts?
It will then draw the metallic particles away from the polished friction points. Magnets are mostly used in recirculating oil based lubrication systems. Chainsaws do not have them. All the more reason NOT to magnetize any internal part.

I use an old driver's license to clean out the bar groove. Fits perfectly and always cleans it out quickly.

Tie a rope/use carabiners to handles of both bar oil and gas can and wear around your neck/over your shoulder for hands-free carry.

Wear your PPE, then you don't have to carry it...

Use a cant hook/peavey and hookaroon to save your back. Paint them bright colors.

If splitting for firewood, cut a 8-10" tall round to put all your rounds on when splitting to keep your axe/sharp maul out of the dirt or rocks.

Pretty simple stuff here, but you never know...

I use and old mud flap off the truck to put under the area where I am splitting wood. Helps the split stay stable and if I glance off or go through the split with a hard hit the mall edge is not hitting the dirt or a rock.

I put a piece of the soft self adhesive velcro on the top of the air filter cover of my 066s and a piece of velcro with the hook side on the back of my Stihl Tach. Holds the tach in the correct spot for tuning and you can leave it there to see how the saw runs under load.

Put some reflective trailer tape on my scrench. It was a light gold colour and I dropped it in the leaves and brush. Hard to find it. Also put some on my tach, not a cheap unit.

Colored fart pills.

Blue, green, and red.

Slip one in your buddys beer, and the next day when he goes to crop dusting the cube farm, he's busted with a colored gas cloud following him.
No more wondering if it was the prissy gal in the elevator or not, and I'm sure several dogs would appreciate not getting blamed for Granny ripping one at dinner.

I have bounced it off one of the Phizer big wigs I occaisionally shoot with, and he refuses to entertain the idea.:msp_mad:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I don't have the cant hook, but do have an old 5' railroad bar for moving logs.

Always have rope/chain along.

Always carry a bottle opener; because you just never know when you'll need one.

When re-installing a recoil assembly on an older saw that has the pawls on the flywheel, I rig up a lightly oiled (WD40) rubber band to hold the pawls in the 'out' position. Put on the recoil and semi-install a couple of the screws to just hold the assembly in place. Then cut one strand of the rubber band and slowly extract.

Colored fart pills.

Blue, green, and red.

Slip one in your buddys beer, and the next day when he goes to crop dusting the cube farm, he's busted with a colored gas cloud following him.
No more wondering if it was the prissy gal in the elevator or not, and I'm sure several dogs would appreciate not getting blamed for Granny ripping one at dinner.

I have bounced it off one of the Phizer big wigs I occaisionally shoot with, and he refuses to entertain the idea.:msp_mad:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Sitting here trying to fathom someone who suggests "colored fart pills", but quotes D.H. Lawrence in his signature......:struggle:

"Write about the magical twist of fate that prompted you to gravitate towards this institute of imbeciles"-Renaissance Man

Unloading brush

I always load brush with the big end at the tailgate so there is something to pull on when unloading. Also a heavy bedspread under leaves aids unloading a pickup load, just grab two corners and pull out the whole "bale.

Ray"

I use my dump trailer to lift logs up for cookie cutting. My brother and I were cutting firewood two weeks ago when we thought it would be nice to compare the saws on video. We rolled the log over to the dump trailer and over a tow strap. We then latched the tow strap around the log and wrapped the other end around the side of the front end of the dump trailer. We lifted the trailer and then threw a cut chunk under the log. Raised it up perfect for cookie cuttin.[video=youtube_share;giIPYdxJj44]http://youtu.be/giIPYdxJj44[/video]

A piece of a broken hacksaw blade works great to clean out the bar groove. Grind to shape and wrap tape on it for a handle.

Aluminium tent pegs [ the kind with cranked over tops] cut the point off, & file the short cranked end so you have a flat section the thickness of the bar grove a chain file to file a small hook & you are good to go. you can file the thickness to suit that gauge of bar so 4 will do all available gauges = also cheap to buy

idea to upgrade rig!

Always use a long piece of heavy chain to pull logs. This way you can git a run at it! Remember to tie it to the front or rear axle and double check to make sure it is secure. Next, make sure you have some beer:cheers: and a cell phone. I have found this a very effective tool in upgrading to a better rig. Remember; it's ok if the wife calls you stupid cause you just got yer new truck.:msp_wink:

What is this? Spelling class? I think we all understand what he meant :bang:

I am not sure what "shaiedr" is. All of the others I got. Great thread, I picked up several helpful things in short order. I have no inventions, but find that drinking several beers helps me understand the inner workings of a 2 stroke engine a little better.

I am not sure what "shaiedr" is. All of the others I got. Great thread, I picked up several helpful things in short order. I have no inventions, but find that drinking several beers helps me understand the inner workings of a 2 stroke engine a little better.
"Shared" is my only guess...

Latest posts

Back