What neat trick, tip invention idea do you have to make things easy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is this? Spelling class? I think we all understand what he meant :bang:

Whatever. You must be WAAAY smarter than me, because I had to stop reading, back up to re-read about three times, and then try to figure out what he meant.

Johnny can't read coming out of high school because he's never told that he's WRONG.

When I am going deep into the woods on foot and need to travel light, before hand I will mix up a two gallon gas can of mix and transfer some into those MotoMix or TruFuel cans. Maybe 4-5 cans worth. Then I will throw them into an orange 5 gallon Big Box store bucket. Throw a few quarts of bar oil in there as well as other tools and maybe a sandwich and some water. Already wearing my PPE. Saw in one hand and 5 gallon bucket in the other and off I go. The orange bucket is also easy to see in the woods.

I know that this level of saw knowledge may completely blow the more experienced woodsman away but here goes...

1) Sharpen your chain
2) Add oil to your fuel at the recommended ratios
3) A 35cc saw will not pull a 60" bar
4) A 35cc saw will not supply enough oil to a 60" bar
5) Try not to cut your leg off

Show off.

A garden hoe or rake makes un-loading rounds from the front of a pick-up bed easier.

Use the proper tool for the job and buy quality tools if you can afford them, if you plan on using them. I'm going to extremes (from POS to top notch gear) a lot, and for most stuff you understand the huge price different the first minute you operate it. Especially with saws.

Pressure testing saws for air leaks. Use a round rubber stopper in the carb intake. Available at hardware stores for $.75. Pressure up the saw to 10 psi and completely submerge in water. Watch for bubbles. This not only effectively tests your exhaust/intake seals but gives you a great visual clue to possible leaks at the seals and gaskets. If it passes the underwater pressure test...vac test it to double check.

This is a good thread...good ideas thrown around !

I have one of the plastic lined jaw clamp type bicycle repair stands [ It adjusts up down, swivels etc.] I clamp the wrap handle bar of the saw in it, It is ideal for working on any part of the saw that doesn`t require the handle being loosened/removed, adjusted to a comfortable to you working height It is very stable & you can use a strap to fix the rear handle to the upright post for added stability

It was not more than 2 hours ago I was thinking of a way to hold saws while working on them. I came up with a clamp to handlebar idea but hadn't thought of how to build yet. Now I know I'll not be building this as they are cheap.
Thanks for all the ideas!

I use a plastic cable tie to clean the bar groove of oily gunk.

Just cut the narrow starter end off and use the fat section.

Just need to find one that is a good fit for .050, .058 and .063 bars, I have different cable ties for the 50 and 58 bars I have.

I also have a small semi hard plastic scraper for under the clutch cover gunk. Won't damage the paint but firm enough to dig out the corners.

Stihl has hooks on the end of the raker depth gauge. I have used a lot of makeshifts but none of them beats that 'purpose made' tool.

Harry K

Pick up on the back handle of the saw when tightening the chain so that the front of the bar is on the ground or table, it easier than trying to lift the bar up.

An 18 gauge needle is .050" in diameter and has a cap, keep a few of these handy to clean the bar groove for .050. A 16 gauge needle is .065 for .063, you may need to tap it down to fit a newer bar. Can be had at farm store cheap.

Put yer face mask up before you spit!!!

After doing your gas-oil mix..store the mix in glass liquor bottles..like Jose Quervo.

NO water can enter and thus the ethanol can't absorb any moisture in the air.

Mix lasts very, very long this way. They're FREE at the recycle center..!!

Try it once and you will become a believer..!!
:cheers:
J2F

After doing your gas-oil mix..store the mix in glass liquor bottles..like Jose Quervo.

NO water can enter and thus the ethanol can't absorb any moisture in the air.

Mix lasts very, very long this way. They're FREE at the recycle center..!!

Try it once and you will become a believer..!!
:cheers:
J2F

This is a great reason to go empty some bottles! :cheers:

Old piece of fire hose cut to fit bar length for a B/C guard.

Latest posts

Back