What rope to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thechap

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I have a fairly large tree that I need to cut down and is probably 40" across the base. I'm gonna have to pull it a little bit to get it where I want it to go. It has a slight lean the wrong way. What type of rope should I use to help pull this thing over. Was hoping to get it at Lowe's this morning. Everyone be nice now LOL.

Chap

Could you post a picture? How much rope will you need? What will you pull with? How high can you tie into the tree? How much does "pull it a little bit" mean? With proper felling cuts, could you get by without a rope? Will you have need for the rope after the tree is down?

There are a lot of variables to consider. Lowe's ropes aren't rated for very high loads. You might be able to get a better rope at SherrillTree for less cost. There are a lot of talented, knowledgeable people on this forum that can answer your questions if you provide more detailed info and definitely some pictures.

Where in PA are you?

Lowes :laugh: Sorry, couldn't help it. Just depends if your gonna try to pull it over with a vehicle or just by a one or two guys. If your just gonna pull it over with a person, just about any rope will do. Think about it, the average person doesn't have the strength or weight to break a 7/16 or larger rope like they sell at Lowes just by pulling on it so any decent size/strength rope there should be fine. Now if your gonna be useing a vehicle to pull it over then that's another story and I don't know anything about the strength of the ropes they sell there. I know they have some pretty fat ropes there, but I bet that they are over priced and not much cheaper then buying the proper rigging ropes from Wesspur. Good luck and be careful.

yea where in pa are you if you have beer i have rope.......and wedges....and chain saws....and skills.....
well i dont need the beer for the skills its for after that...

Take the offer
Lowes is not the place to be looking for rope for a tree job.

Take the offer
Lowes is not the place to be looking for rope for a tree job.
:clap:

+1 Don't be a fool. Watch a pro do it, then next time you will be ready to go.

Your local retail stores have rope 30-50% more expensive and 1/10th the strength than the arboristsite sponsors. You can buy a lot of beer for the cost of that rope, or an ER visit, or a house repair bill...

give him enough beer maybe he will piece it and limb it with his Zubat

Back