what s wrong with this 280?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep.. We have some guys like that... I really like the guys that don't even CUT off the brake handle -It's much more manly to smash it off with your foot.

Has a customer that bought a 200T - "you going to take that brake handle off or do I have to break it off myself?". I guess he did... but never saw him again.

Okayyyyyy...what am I missing??? Why get rid of the brake handle??? :confused: :dizzy:

Kevin

Did they vacuum test the motor? This sounds like a vacuum leak to me.

They did, and rechecked it.

At this point, it is not apparent what else can be done. I'll do some more test cuts here and hope for a miracle. Then back to the shop.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and I'll post the outcome. What I am woindering is if this is some rare quirk of 280's and the midrange Stihls and also if this peculiar problem shows up for any other models. I can't believe that this is an isolated case.

I cut some more with mine yesterday. No problem to speak of anymore.

When mine was acting up it was also hard to start, even hot.

Seems like a while back on here someones STIHL chainsaw was running really bad when it got hot, it turned out to be a cracked piston that only acted up warm. Just going from memory and that does'nt work most of the time. Steve

The 280 problem is still under investigation but I want to give credit where it is due: this dealer has been great. I am a late riser so don't get there until darned near closing time. He works on the saw while I wait which I suspect is pretty unusual. Also stayed a half hour after closing to check some exotic possibilities suggested (I think) by the regional distributor.

The problem--described earlier-- is very uncommon and has been seen in 2 other saws: a 441 and another 280. My dealer has never seen the problem before and they do a lot of business.

The good news is that the next step after a final try at fixing it is a new saw.

270/280 carbs have something additional acceleration circuit (pump-jet?) as much I know. This can cause a such problem...but if carb was replaced and problem stayed...no idea...

Just a thought, try swapping the carb off another 028 and see if that solves the problem, also check carb nuts and look where the carb seats to the intake boot.

I had not noticed this post earlier, but my 280 had some of the same problems as yours. First noticed it on a really hot day. Opened the fuel tank and a spray of fuel came out, but continued to run the same way after that. It also got real hard to start. Dealer readjusted the carb and blamed it on bad gas. Did the same thing a month later. Dealer said the same thing, even though it was brand new gas, and neither of my other saws had a problem. I gave the saw a thorough cleaning and noticed the fuel tank vent had A LOT of dust on it. I have been very diligent on cleaning the vent every tankful now and have not had the problem since (about 6 months).
I know it seems to simple, and it seems you have tried everything including tank related items. But I just wanted to share what happened with my saw and hope it helps.
Good luck with yours, I know how frustrating it can be.

Sam

3 bad ignitions on a 361? wow.. we've sold hundred of these saws to both prors and homeowners, and never has an ignition related failure.. in fact, almost no failures of any type. Did have a cylinder base cracked, but Stihl replaced that even though it was way outside of warranty.

On the 280 - I assume we're all talking about the standard 280, not the 280IEM?

Any futher thoughts on the IEM Andy? I am interested because I feel this will become more and more a part of the OPE world. Anything that keeps from having to switch to four-strokes is OK with me.

I've yet to get my hands on one...

We've got 4 280's in stock and all of them are IEM units. For the last couple months all our 280's have had it. No one has torn into one yet though at our shop.

Ms 280 idle & acceleration bog

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, a pretty new (15 or so tanks) MS 280 is giving me and the dealer fits.

First, thanks to Lakeside for earlier comments and suggestions, but the saw just isn't working right despite the dealer's efforts to fix it. It exhibits the same problems now that it did initially. Idles fine before a cut. Pull the trigger and it accelerates quickly and smoothly and with normal time to stop chain rotation upon deccelaration. Basically, normal behavior before cut. Make a couple of cuts and everything changes. After that, when I pull the trigger to start the next cut (not yet into the wood), it either dies or drops in rpm. In subsequent cut, chain rotation continues for way too long as the saw drops to idle.

Shop has been very nice (and so have I but patience is running out). First trip, checked crankcase for leak and adjusted carb, second visit (I am 60 miles from shop), replaced carb and pressure checked crankcase again, also tank venting. Third visit, rechecked pressure check of crankcase and vacuum tested fuel system. Decided that it might be electronic ignition module. Replaced that. Did a couple of test cuts, said that it seems to be okay but let them know after using it a while. Net result, it still ain't running right and has exactly the same behavior now as it did before the 3 trips to the shop.

All the obvious and not very obvious possibilities have been checked.

Besides magic, what else could be going on? At what point does the dealer give up and send the damned thing back to Stihl? At what point should the customer's mood change?

I am a Stihl dealer in Ireland. All of the ms 280 c saws i sold HAVE the same problem as yours.
I stopped selling them a few years ago to allow the problem to be solved.
I was brought to the research workshop in STIHL Virginia beach USA on a dealer trip and i spent 2 days demonstrating the behavior of the ms280 to the stihl technitions there . They admitted that the problem was there after i hammered the saw in their test logs. They said they would inform me of developments via email. That was 3 or 4 years ago. No word yet.
So they know about it.
Does any one know if the new managment system has fixed the issue.

p.s I did every test under the sun before visiting the factory.

my replacement is two years old and works fine

It must be a weird problem. The dealer replaced mine and the replacement works fine. I would buy another 280 if I were replacing mine for any reason.

The only other possibility would have been a Husky 246 NE and pro model Huskys have disappeared in this region. Plenty of people cut wood but I don't know anyone who owns a pro model Husky. A friend tried to get a Husky 246 NE, prepaid the remaining dealer (whose shelves are bare of everything escept a few Echoes--this dealer has had Dolmars, Shindaiwas, Husky, and Jonsred) got his money back after 2 months of waiting, and got a Stihl 260. Husky seems to have opted out of the pro level saw in this region.

I have a 280C of the 2003-2004 vintage, and I have not had the problems described, as Others have said it sounds like a fuel issue. My personal suggestions would be to replace the fuel filter, check the fuel venting, and perhaps the fuel line is collapsing on itself, sometimes even new pieces can fail.

Back