what s wrong with this 280?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you both for your replys . I being a direct stihl dealer had acess to carbs, ignitions,pipes,vent, & even changed the crank case on one of the saws i sold. This was all to no avail. When i got the saw at the factory in Virginia beach to do it i knew it was not just a problem in the saws built in germany.The 289 saws here in ireland are european models. 1 or 2 of the saws were stolen from there users so at least they are gone from my patch i & wont have to worry about them coming back with the same problem.
thanks again.
sawdoctor003

I have a 280C of the 2003-2004 vintage, and I have not had the problems described, as Others have said it sounds like a fuel issue. My personal suggestions would be to replace the fuel filter, check the fuel venting, and perhaps the fuel line is collapsing on itself, sometimes even new pieces can fail.

The fuel line collapsing sound like a good theory to me, gets warm and collapses. Steve

I have one also doing the same thing. It started in the late fall and I just grabbed another saw to finish. Have not used it scents then. Please keep us posted. Mine is a older model with the adjustable high jet on the carb.

I have an MS192 that had the same symptoms when I bought it. The dealer messed with it a couple of times with no joy. The third time I brought it in they kept it to show the regional Stihl tech. He said the "impulse line" was clogged and replaced it. It's run fine ever since.

I've worked on alot of ms 270/280 saws at my dealership... 75%of them all had intake boot failures. Stihl has revised the intake boot 3 times now and they do last alittle longer but still fail. We completely stopped stocking teh 270 and 280 just for all the hassels they caused. One 270 did have the intake manifold installed incorectly, it was centered in teh tank opening (twisted slightly) causing a leak at teh base of the carb. Also I've never had much luck getting a manifold to seal after the carb has been off several times, especially if the carb was overtighted by mistake once or twice. Another not on the intake boot failure is that the saw will start and reve but you won't notice the odd running symptoms untill you begin to "flex" the AV buffers and cut with it.

I've got a 2004 model that I bought used from a member here a couple of years ago, no problems to report. Sure would like to know where the potential "issues" are with this saw for future reference.

if you keep a sharp chain on them and let the saw do the work you'll be fine, as soon as you start pushing on the saw thats when the manifold gets flexed so offten that it splits rigth along the cylinder clamp... It's a grat saw for someone that is familar with running a saw but a terrible choice for someone who does no maintainence and has their head up somewhere...:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back