What saw Husky 455 Rancher or Husky 359?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I returned a Husky 455 Rancher purchased from a big box because of the prodigious amount of bar chain oil leaking from below the clutch area. I went to a local Husqvarna rental/sales/repair center today and tried the Husky 359. The tech ran the saw for about five minutes and very little oil collected under the clutch. His 455 Rancher was out on rental, so I could not see how that saw performed regarding leakage. Is it typical for the 455 Rancher to leak an enormous amount of oil when running; the 359 didn't!

The 359 will cost me $100 more than the 455. Tomorrow the 455 will be back from rental, and I will be able to see if it leaked like the two I tried from the big box store. I would appreciate your recommendations regarding these two saws, since I need to get my firewood up ASAP.

I've looked at the Stihls and my first saw was a Stihl purchased in 1972. It was a great saw, but a family member loaned the saw to a neighbor who destroyed the piston. I don't want to go the Stihl route because of cost. (I could get the MS 260 Pro for $65 more than the 359, but the MS 361 and MS 361 C-B would cost me $210 and $230 more than the 359, respectively.)

I like the feel of the Husky, but I can't tolerate the deluge of oil experienced with the two 455 Ranchers I tried from the big box. Does anyone know if defect/imperfect product are sold at big box stores. It's for that reason why I am going to a local rental/sales/repair dealer to check out his 455 Rancher tomorrow. If the rental 455 Rancher doesn't throw oil like the two I tried from the big box, the 455 would satisfy my needs and I could save some major money.

The rental/sales/repair center was honest with me about the 359. He said when the saw was first released about two-or-three years ago there was a major problem with air entering the cylinder due to a design defect. He said that Husqvarna has corrected the design flaw, and the current 359's are very good saws approaching the professional line. Please provide recommendations whether I should go with the 455 Rancher (assuming no leakage problem) or the 359?

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum. I reposted the above in the Chainsaw forum.

Last edited:
Well I'd say it depends on how much you're going to use it and what you're cutting. The 359 is no doubt the better saw, but it's hard to beat the 455 for occasional to even daily use. I have a 455 and it has served me well for close to 2 years now. Like most saws some oil will collect under it when sitting for long periods of time, but it doesn't leak any while being used or idling. It does oil the chain/bar nicely. I have noticed that the amount that leaks during storage can be minimized by reducing the setting on the pump to the minimum click and also by loosening the oil cap after use to reduce any pressure buildup in the tank.

Several years ago my local Lowe's did carry the 359 and I wish I had snagged one then. By the time I was ready for a saw the 455 was the best thing they had and I don't regret getting it. Alot of power and cutting for the money. Since buying it I have cut down 30 or so trees on our property (to thin them out and some dying as well) with most being hickory and oak and some as large as 24" in diameter. The 455 ripped right through them. I have used a few chains and bought 1 new bar, but other than the usual maintenance no problems...... Later!

go for the stihl 260 pro. in the long run that 65$ will be well worth it. ever wonder why stihl doesnt sell to big boxes? i thing your rancher showed you why

Oh yeah... like Stihl has never produced a POS. The reason they don't sell in big box stores is because they couldn't get the higher prices they expect for average products. IMO the only decent thing that has ever came out of Germany is the Porsche. Later!

WHP,

Sorry to hear you have had issues with your 455's.

I have had none with mine, and several Farm type folks around here love thiers the same.

I have heard several folks complain about Box store bought 455's here and on other Forums(Firearms, defence, Farm) and it seems that the biggest difference is local support.

The folks that seem to have few or no issues, all have dedicated Saw/power shops in common.

Am not saying your rental center is slacking, but they should be able to quickly take care of a leaky oiler under warranty.

Not a hitch in 3 years of heavy use on mine, and those locally that have had minor glitches, all just had the local shop do the tweak while they waited, and usually free of charge/under warranty.

Nothing against the 359, it's a hell of a good Saw, but I'm thinking that any saw might have minor glitches, and you still have the issue of less than stellar support available.

Quite possibly, the 455 you already own will do ya proud if you swap shops instead of Saws.

A good Saw shop is just as important as a good Saw, and worth the difference in prices paid in the Box stores.;)

Good luck to ya!!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back