What saw is the biggest pain in the ... to work on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviusly the Stihl 019T... top of my list.

And a Solo disguised as a Craftsman... PITA to work on the carb area... 357 isn't much better...

Sure.. it's all in what you are used to, but I sure like the simplicity of the Stihl pro models.

THALL, what did you find wrong, or did I miss something? Do you have any pics. of the problem, please PM them to me. The reason I ask, is I sell a bunch of these saws to the firefighting crews, only they are 372XPW's basically the same saw though. :confused:

I'll have to refer you to my saw GURU, aka, Lakeside, he can explain it real quick,LOLOLOL

He explained it to me in 3 letters,LOLOL

So what saw is the biggest p.i.t.a. to work on? this 'oughta get you guys fired up LOL!

Any saw you will find anywhere ending with the word "Mart". Mainly because if you spend more than 5 minutes on it, your time has exceeded the value of the saw.

An 029 Super I tried to mess with one time. Stihl definitely wants you to buy a new one rather than fix those things.

Most homeowner saws are designed that way. Pro saws are almost infinitely rebuildable

+1

But after working on five of them now; I'm getting the hang of it. But the first one was a complete ##### when it came to replacing the top end. :chainsaw:

+1

But after working on five of them now; I'm getting the hang of it. But the first one was a complete ##### when it came to replacing the top end. :chainsaw:

All I remember is about 500 screws that all went into plastic, it seemed like even the cylinder was plastic. I put the screws back into it after a while, and sold it on eBay for like $120 with a seized p/c (it was free):cheers:

What did you do to that poor thing?!?!?

It was not eye said the blind man. Someone slipped up at the factory on that poor thing. No biggie though, nothing a custom made Lakerside insert can't fix if I can get him to quit cussing it,LOLOLOLOLOL

So what saw is the biggest p.i.t.a. to work on? this 'oughta get you guys fired up LOL!

First off, any saw that comes in , in a box....
Next, a saw that comes in with a customer telling me what to replace.

Next, top handle McColloughs, I won't go into them. Homelites next.
Andy is right, Solo engineers are twisted and cruel, they should be shot.
Stihl 009,011,012, 015, fs 36 series trimmer.Echo pole pruners....

You guys are funny.

Try working on a real old saw like an old gear drive Homelite or Mac. Makes you appreciate a modern day saw . A modern saw is a snap compared to some of those older saws.

I'll go along with some of you guys about working on 09's and the 10 series Sthil saws like the 192, 017, they can be a royal pain in the you know what.

020 and up no problemo. To me anyway.

The other brands like Husky, Solo, modern day Macs and Homelites haven't had too much experience with those so I have no input on those.

Larry

Cancer You Say???????????

You haven't missed anything. Mr.Drippy was opened up to see what the problem was. Ya might say cancer was found during the operation and I merely closed it back up,LOLOLOLOL

Maybe time for some ChemicalTheropy or was that Chemotherapy LOLOL

Scott

Worst saw to work on hmmmmmm

Well I probably have a LIST of hated saws Ive wotked on in the last 25 or so years.......

Remington MightyMite's
Mcculloch Mini Mac's
Homelite 150's, SEZ, 330, 360 + lots of other homies
Fronteir Top Handle and all their cousins
Stihl the orig. 020, and the modern replacements, never did like the 031 or 041 either
Husky's Top handle 335, 338 plus the Older design like the 65CD? and such Im sure some others
The Only Saw in the Dolmar Line I dislike is the PS34
Not to forget all the Newer Style boxstore knockoffs from China like the modern macs and homies.......

Im Sure I have forgotten some maybe on Purpose Like a Bad Dream LOL

Scott

Pioneer 1100.

They're made so that to fix a little thing the whole saw has to come apart.
:censored:

I haven't seen anyone mention a Husqvarna....I guess that is why I like them so much....:cheers: :hmm3grin2orange: :chainsawguy:

Back