What saws are truely worth collecting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone69er

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In all the opinions that we have here,what are 'THE' saws to be looking out for to add to the collection,models and reason's why they are that good or collectable:cheers:

Last edited:
Mall OMG, Stihl 064, Mac 125, any two-man saws and many, many more, i guess it depends mainly on what the person likes, old Mac's appeal to some as does Pioneer saws appeal to others. I personally like Pioneer saws mainly because thats what i started with but if you talk to other folks here i think it boils down to personal likes and dislikes. There are some however that get more expensive with age like the always collectable Stihl 090 which are rare as well as pricey and i'm sure no-matter what saws you collect i don't think anyone would mind having one of these beast.

I have my grandfathers 041 thats mine and is mint. Man I love that thing. I have a 372 that was demoed and no more than that all boxed up that I think will be worth a few bucks in 10 or 20 yrs. Stihl have the carcuses of my beloved 026 and 036 which if I ever get to should be worth some money if I ever rebuild them. Other than that, i'm only 36 and started back in the days when my first saw was my dads well worn 034 and then a couple 359,s and 044's and 036,026. Just the last few years did business get good enough to start turning my saws over, but the ones I had lasted for the better part of a decade.

For me it's a 056 Mag, haven't found one yet.

For me it's a 056 Mag and 041 G, haven't found one yet.
Some personal preference and what your parents and grandparents ran, will be worth money to you but maybe not anyone else. I am third generation owner of a super XLAO I dought it's worth much but one of my favorites. I still run it often and will keep it running.

Last edited:
For me it's a 056 Mag and 041 G, haven't found one yet.
Some personal preference and what your parents and grandparents ran, will be worth money to you but maybe not anyone else. I am third generation owner of a super XLAO I dought it's worth much but one of my favorites. I still run it often and will keep it running.

I wish we had a mac or homelite dealer around here in the old days when dad and grandpa were cutting in the glory days. All we had was a stihl dealer who also sold remmington. The downfall was when they got done with saws they weren't even scrap worthy.

are theyre parts available for the 056?

The bigger they are the more collectible they are. From there it is personal preference on brand.

That's a pretty fun question for which the answer will be different from anyone you ask. Most fellers have "areas of interest" like old Huskies or Pioneers, or old large displacement saws.

I would say that if you're doing to "speculate" in a collectors market, you prolly aren't going to make money.. not "real" money anyways. If you just want to collect, I think you should do enough research that you find saws that interest you, either historically, or for some mechanical reason.

Mcculloch bp-1, or 125 with kart motor option. The Echo and John Deer twin cylinder saws. Echo cs100. The wankle powered Dolmar and 166 Dolmar. The 090 Stihl. Collectable saws with Westbend 8.2 cubic inch motors and some of the power products large engine models of years gone by.

If you are collecting, buy what appeals to you. This is not a money making venture.

Big +1. Are you looking for old saws now or modern saws to buy as an investment? The EPA 2010 regs will drastically change the saws we know and "love" today. Might work out OK, might not. I would suggest buying professional grade saws to put away, if you are looking for a time down the road collection.

There different degrees of CAD madness. Some buy and just store, some buy and return to running condition, some buy and totally restore the saw to like-new or better than new condition. Finding parts can be a real challenge, especially when the parts have been discontinued or "NLA" from the manufacturer, or the manufacturer has not been in business for many years. So you found a saw and got a good deal on it. Now you have to put some money into parts, if you can find them. Saws in good condition will obviously be worth more than those that are not. I like buying saws from the original owner. They have had them for years and years and have finally decided to sell them. Generally they will have taken care of them. The original owner's manual, parts lists, bill of sale, old accessories, will all make the saw worth more, and you have a much greater chance of getting those from the original owner than if you were to buy from the second or third owner.

Have you joined Magnus (Mange here at AS) site, Chain Saw Collector's Forum? Lots of good knowledge to be had over there. A lot of familiar folks there too. You can see a lot of different models that members have purchased. Lots of help available.

Check out Alain L's blog,Vintage Chainsaw Collection. He has a lot of great pictures and information about the saws in his chain saw museum.

Wait till you start telling non-saw people that you collect chain saws. Watch their eyes as they suddenly wonder if you are a freakin nut.:D

If you are collecting, buy what appeals to you. This is not a money making venture. I like old big cc Mac's, Clinton's,Homelites. But aesthetics play a big part for me I have to like the way the saw looks. So far no Stihl's in my collection

+2 ! I can appreciate a nice collection of any brand, type or generation !

Try to establish a collection with saws you like and you want for yourself, not what the others think you should have ! :)

I think saw collections start like gun, knife, or axe collections. you buy one or two for the jobs at hand, then another few cause they are unique. Maybe one here and there that has an interesting story behind it. before you know it, you justifying to your wife another shop just to house the collection...

I think a Wild Thing should be every collection. You'd have to show someone before they'd believe anyone made such a saw.

Big +1. Check out Alain L's blog,Vintage Chainsaw Collection. He has a lot of great pictures and information about the saws in his chain saw museum.

Vince,..... THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!!!! LOL...LOL....LOL
I am glad to be here to help and share my knowledge about old saws.

I mainly focus on unique saws with some history....first or last in a series...branded saws....to me are less attractive since they are mainly copies.
I go with any original names except Stihl or Jonsered for personal reasons. I only have one 08S.

I look for MALL, PIONEER, REMINGTON, MCCULLOCH, KIEKHAEFER, IEL, PRECISION, PARTNER and many more....

Try to find a PIONEER P35 ...just for fun.....history is on my site....enjoy!

Alain,
www.vintagechainsawcollection.blogspot.com

In all the opinions that we have here,what are 'THE' saws to be looking out for to add to the collection,models and reason's why they are that good or collectable:cheers:

From a return on investment standpoint? I have no idea or really care.

From a what YOU find to be a cool old saw, that's all that matters.

I still can't get over the Ebay prices on 1970's Homelites, must have alot of fans out there. I like them too, but they aren't worth what they are going for :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back