What Saw's to buy ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChopperDan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal my 011 seized and I need a saw/saws.

I don't cut alot of wood but when I do the saw dosn't stop.

I"m a contractor and when I do clean up work the saw runs for day's. I'm thinking I should look for a used gas saw that I could rebuild and a good electric saw. (I camp 6 months out of the year and have access to alot of fire wood but the noise would be a problem in a state park). But when I need a real saw, I NEED A REAL SAW something capable of handling a 16" to 20" bar anything larger I would contract out. Oh and I'm shamed to admit I have 16" poulan (because I had to get the job done).

How is the Husqvana 359?

I should also say I would run the saw hard 4 weeks a year(very hard).

What electric saw would be recommended poulan pro 18" 400e or husqvana 316
Can I fix the 011? I also do motorcycle repair.

P.S. Budget here is between $500 to $600
Thanks for the input,
Dan

Last edited:
Well, you sound like a good canidate for a Husky 350 with a 16" or an 18" bar. It's a hair over $300, that leaves a lot of room for extras. You can get chains and PPE and still be well under budget!!! The next step up might be a Stihl 290, but more money, a lot more weight and I don't think it would last as long as the Husky IMO! If you stay 16"-18" a 50cc should work fine, also look athe the Dolmar 5100, more money but faster. If you want the 20", you needto look at the 60cc saws, that a whole other can of worms Stihl 361, the 390 is cheaper and the Husky 359/357/365. ut you step up the price. If the Poluan is working well, I would really look at the Husky 350!!

Well, you sound like a good canidate for a Husky 350 with a 16" or an 18" bar. It's a hair over $300, that leaves a lot of room for extras. You can get chains and PPE and still be well under budget!!! The next step up might be a Stihl 290, but more money, a lot more weight and I don't think it would last as long as the Husky IMO! If you stay 16"-18" a 50cc should work fine, also look athe the Dolmar 5100, more money but faster. If you want the 20", you needto look at the 60cc saws, that a whole other can of worms Stihl 361, the 390 is cheaper and the Husky 359/357/365. ut you step up the price. If the Poluan is working well, I would really look at the Husky 350!!

You're gonna recommend homeowner grade saws to a contractor?

If he's got $5-600 to spend then he could get a Dolmar 5100S or Husky 359 and still have $150 to spend on extra stuff.

BTW, I own a Husqvarna 350 and it's a great saw. If I was using it to make a living I'd probably get the 353 or 359.

If he's going with a husky how about a 346xp good power and lightweight for a small saw? Or stihl ms260?

Just a thought!

How come you guys don't seem to recommend Echo? They make pretty dang bulletproof stuff. One of my saws is the CS346, but that's probably underpowered. You might have a look at their CS440 or CS520, both well in your price range.

Last edited:
Whatever you get, be sure not to muffler mod it! talk about louder! or you could do like that one guy from Japan did while milling in the city and put a motorcycle muffler system (a quiet one) on it. he stated that all he could hear was the chain turning. sawin right next to a camper and they don't even know it, over the noise of the kids fighting, the tv and a/c unit running.:hmm3grin2orange:
-Ralph

How come you guys don't seem to recommend Echo? They make pretty dang bulletproof stuff. One of my saws is the CS346, but that's probably underpowered. You might have a look at their CS440 or CS520, both well in your price range.

Most everyone thinks they're too heavy for their power.

My CS-330T is 8.1 lbs and makes 1.6 hp.
The MS 200T is 7.7 lbs and 2.1 hp.
The Husky 338XP is 7.6 lbs and 2.2 hp.

I like my Echo but there are better options if your budget allows.

:deadhorse: but

Echo CS330T ~$235
Husky 353 ~ $400
I dunno about the Stihl, you have to contact their top secret dealer network.

HP/$ has a different winner. Guess I'm just argumentative. No I'm not. :laugh:

You're gonna recommend homeowner grade saws to a contractor?

If he's got $5-600 to spend then he could get a Dolmar 5100S or Husky 359 and still have $150 to spend on extra stuff.

BTW, I own a Husqvarna 350 and it's a great saw. If I was using it to make a living I'd probably get the 353 or 359.

Yes I am recomending a homeowner saw, the 359 is technicly a homeowner saw when you get down to it! I have a 350, as do a few others I know, and have beat it to death and it just asked for more!!!

Now if you read it, I did also suggest the 5100, and he admited he didn't cut that much wood, I should have quoted it as it changed between now and when I replied, imagine that! He stated he only cut 4-5 cord a year initialy!!

Echo's sdon't get much reccomendations here because while their small saws are good, the competition puts out a better product once you get above 45cc's. The Echo's larger than this are still solid reliable saws, but they won't run with the competitions saws in the same size class when it comes to weight and cutting performance.

The problems with recommending is that they are old designs, and generally underpower for weight and sice - there is a reason by they dont adverticed the power outputs of their saws.

Take a look at the Huskys and Dolmars instead, they are quite cheap, in the US, (but not here).

I have been using an old Jonsered(621), and more resently a Husky 353 and a Stihl 361- now I want a Dolmar PS5100 :yoyo: :yoyo:

Last edited:
Back