what should I replace my ms390 with?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's time to replace my ms390 with 24" bar. It's the saw I use for most removals before opting to pull out the ms660 with 36" bar.

Thanks.

Just curious since you have the 390 w/24 how did it work for you? Was it powerful enough to sling that size convincingly? I'd say if that worked for you than the 361 would be right there. I must say I'm impressed that the fellas here have voted the 440-460 about as much as the 361, that don't happen much around here.

You want to replace your 390 huh? OK here goes.....take the three off the front of 390 add a zero and voila' you have your answer. Of course then you'd have to START with your 660 and then move up.

Crappy anti vibe, loud, heavy, doesn't use the same mix as your other saws, but most wild stock ride around.

Last edited:
There is still a couple of new 440's out there.. almost same weight as your 039 but twice the saw... The 361 will be lighter than the 390 with a bit more power but I would go with the 440 if you can find one. More money than the 361 to but its worth it... My local shop still has a few 440's but they are priced higher than the 441's.

Another option is to get the 361 with an 18" bar, and use the 24" only when really needed, with skip chain.

I actually prefer to use the 24 all the time now - less back strain. Sure its heavier, but it's not hard to get used to. And it pulls a 84DL RSF pretty nice.

Back