what size bar will 53cc do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to hijack (like it never happens around here) but will a 20" be too long for a Mac 10-10A (54cc) or a PM 10-10S (57cc)?

I'm at the point where I can install the new 20" Oregon on one of them but still have the reciept and can exchage it for an 18" at my local Menards.

Not to hijack (like it never happens around here) but will a 20" be too long for a Mac 10-10A (54cc) or a PM 10-10S (57cc)?

I'm at the point where I can install the new 20" Oregon on one of them but still have the reciept and can exchage it for an 18" at my local Menards.

id say a 20 would be great on a 57cc saw but id bolt the bar on both to check balance and ease of handling. if u dont like it take er off and return

I run a 20 on my 032 which is 52 cc, and I have run a 20 on my homie super ez for some emergency felling, that saw is 37cc but now it wears a 16.

id say so, i think you could do it and be fine, i think you can go bigger then that but its gonna cut slower,

thats what i thought before i posted this but i wanted the opinion of guys that deal in saw and stuff like that before i made my decision, but yeah i think you'd be fine.

My Pro Mac 10-10 handles the 20'' pretty darn well. Actually better than some 60cc saws that I've had.

Olympyc, I grew up on a couple Olys - a 251 super (same engine as your 254) and a 271. The 51 ran 16" great, and 20" just OK. Meet in the middle at 18" and you're probably optimal. The 271 always (and still does) wore a 24", and I don't know that I'd go bigger.

For Saw Dr, what size is the clutch threads? I've got a couple parters here, and if one will fit, I'll send it to ya. I think they're 10mm if I remember right. (Real close to 3/8" but just a touch bigger). PM me if I can help, otherwise a good HW store should get ya one for a buck or so for a flange nut.

how big of bar will a 53cc saw effectivly run? its a olympyk 254 heres the info on them

ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 53cc (3.3 cu. in.)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS: 1
CYLINDER BORE: 46mm (1.8 in.)
PISTON STROKE: 32mm (1.26 in.)
CYLINDER TYPE: Aluminum with chrome impregnated bore
INTAKE METHOD: Piston ported
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.: 7 SAE

7 hp seems alot for a 53 cc saw ??????

That is SAE horse power not the horse power rating that most saws use. If you look on CCC at some of the old dolmars they were listed in SAE HP.

Yes, it is the old kind of SAE "gross" hp, that is not comparable at all to other kind of hp. The numbers are a lot higher with this kind of hp.
I am not an expert, but I don't even think it is possible to recalculate the number into something that makes sense to compare.

yeah i dont really care about the hp on the 254 any way, i know its too small for what i want, i did how ever post a craigslist add and a guy called me today he has an Olympyk 999 w/ a scored piston and cylinder, that he said he'd just give me or he's throwin it away! so i gotta find parts for it, and go from there.

power output of 53 cc

It is not at all hard to make a 53 cc two stroke engine make + 7 hp.
What is hard is to cool it, and fit it in a use able design for a chainsaw.
But don`t believe it will ever come up there in chainsaws.

I've owned 4 olympyks. 3-251's and a 254 all 53cc saws. I mostly ran 16" bars, but they cut fine with a 20" too. I wouldn't worry about the saw being nose heavy the powerhead weighs more than a MS460.I don't know what the actual HP is but they seemed more powerful than my 036 and 2159.

Last edited:
Hi i have picked up 3 Olympics a 950super,a950fsuper,and a254antivib,eletronic. Can anybody tell me what Cc the f and the 950super is

For me, it depends on what species and how much of the time the bar is buried. I like a 16" x .325" set up on a 50cc saw when cutting oak/hickory...and, with the bar commonly buried.

Back