What small saw to recommend to a newb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would buy an old Homie until he learns to run a saw well and decides he can make money at it. Just my thought, you can get a good running homelite for under 60$.

I'm inclined to agree with you on the 290, but he's scraping to get the 300 I believe.

Between the Jonsy 2240 and the Stihl 250, I'm leaning toward Stihl. I just have a hard time recommending a saw with a primer bulb.

my 350 has one, I wish they all had primer bulbs on em.

An XL12, it will cut anything a 361 will and if the kid don't pan out on cordwood you are only out ca, $50-100. Try that first.

How big is the 17 year old? I was 6ft 180 ibs and a hard working farmboy when I was 16 and had run saws for 5 years.....

When he sells enough cordwood, steer him towards a 036/360/361, or 044/441 if he is skilled enough and big enough

I don't think a 025 type saw, although good for homeowner use, will hold up to the abuse a cordwood saw demands. An XL12 will stomp it

Husqvarna 435 is one that I always wanted to try. Until I got mt 346 that is.

Anyhow, the 435 seems to be quite underrated and would be a good homeowner/hobby business starter saw.

As you can see below, I´ve got the 435, and I love it, but would NOT recommend it as THE ONE saw for firewood. IMO the husky 55 or 353 is much more suitable. Or perhaps the 350.

I'm inclined to agree with you on the 290, but he's scraping to get the 300 I believe.

Between the Jonsy 2240 and the Stihl 250, I'm leaning toward Stihl. I just have a hard time recommending a saw with a primer bulb.

Hay shooter we got a 3120 Huskey and it has a primer bulb. Magine that.
Joe

A MS250 is a good solid dependable saw.He's smart wanting to buy new.
It'll make him the money to step up to a 70cc class saw later.

If he's serious he'll make his money in no time.If he's not he can recoup most of his investment if it's cared for.

Good dealer support is important.

If you care about the kid beat safety into his head till he starts cussin' ya' then beat it in some more.

Tell him I said good luck with his business venture.

Too many kids ain't got a clue and spend all their time in front of a tube.

If you care about the kid beat safety into his head till he starts cussin' ya' then beat it in some more.

:agree2:

I am really surprised no one is real concerned about teaching a youngster safety. There really isn't any item sold to the public that is much more dangerous than a chainsaw.

The type of saw he purchases is quite petty if he gets himself hurt, and there is seldom a "minor chainsaw accident."

If he spends all of the $300 he won't have any money for his protective gear. Get him a smaller saw and some ppe and once he has sold a few cords of wood he can always upgrade to a bigger saw.

My buddy started his firewood business with a Husqvarna 36 3 years ago and now has a 372 and a 346 to play with.

Just a thought.:popcorn:

In my opinion, I couldn't imagine trying to cut wood to sell with anything less than a 60cc saw. I say steer him toward a used 034 Super/036... Maybe a used Echo CS-600... Husky 460 perhaps??
I can't imagine cutting wood all day with a ~40cc saw... seriously.

TFB

In my opinion, I couldn't imagine trying to cut wood to sell with anything less than a 60cc saw. I say steer him toward a used 034 Super/036... Maybe a used Echo CS-600... Husky 460 perhaps??
I can't imagine cutting wood all day with a ~40cc saw... seriously.

TFB

I used to cut all my wood with an Echo CS4400 for years before i found this site, then all hell broke loose!:rock:

I used to cut all my wood with an Echo CS4400 for years before i found this site, then all hell broke loose!:rock:

BUT, cutting for yourself vs. cutting as a business is 2 different animals. We cut for our own family with an 031 Stihl for YEARS when I was a kid... but we only heated our own house.
TFB

BUT, cutting for yourself vs. cutting as a business is 2 different animals. We cut for our own family with an 031 Stihl for YEARS when I was a kid... but we only heated our own house.
TFB

Very good point.

Guess it depends on how eager his is to start a business. If i were him, i would just wait a few more months and save up some more cash. By that time he'll probably want to do something else anyway.

I think that a motivated, hard working 17 year old could make good money selling firewood nowadays. If they have access to good wood and maybe a splitter, there is plenty of free advertising on Craigslist. I used to do a little part time selling... was nice to go to the woods, work for an hour, cut a 1/3 cord and sell it that night after school... put 40-45 in your pocket and get in better shape.
Those were the good old days...

I would rec. the Stihl, my 16 year old nephew runs my 026 and it is about the right size for him. Like all the others make sure he FULLY understands what a chainsaw can do to flesh. Good Luck -Matt

rockstar saw for fifty more bucks

Hey, one of our own here has a serious saw, professionally tuned and modded, for only fifty more bucks, shipped to his door. At 60ccs-good size for the intended purpose- and going on just the third tank, it's just now getting to be a great saw and is as close as you can get to "new".

http://www.arboristsite.com/classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=5

Latest posts

Back