What to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcass

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all. Im new here today and found this forum while looking at new saws. Ive been heating our home for a couple years now with wood and lately ive been getting lots of free wood (Big) wood mostly red oak and im looking to get a new saw to keep up. I would like to run at least a 24'' bar maybe even up to a 32" bar. So here is my qeustion i'v been comparing saws online and i think i got it narrowed down to 4 saws and was hoping to get some input on which saw might be best for me.. Key factors are speed & reliability , longevity . Here are the saws im most interested in.

- solo 681
-makita 6401
-echo 680
-echo 8000

The echo seems to have the best warranty out of the 3 brands , the solo has crazy cutting speed. I own a solo back pack blower and love it . The makita looks very compairable to the solo just not as strong or fast of a cutter. I know i probably cant go wrong with any one of these saws just wanted to get some insite.
thanks
jimmy

How big is your budget and what local dealers do you have?

i cant comment on your choices but i can recomend the stihl ms460 mine pulls a 25" great in hardwoods:cheers:

Dolmar 7900-
+2, especially if going more than 24" bar. The 6401 would have a tough time.

I'm sure glad most of my firewood can be cut with an 18" bar. My back hurts just thinking about anything bigger.

Last edited:
I have a stihl dealer and koher equipment who's a echo and makita dealer. I ordered my solo back pack blower online from solos usa because there wasnt a local dealer at the time. I will check later today and see if theres a new local dealer for solo.

+2, especially if going more than 24" bar. The 6401 would have a tough time.

I'm sure glad most of my firewood can be cut with an 18" bar. My back hurts just thinking about anything bigger.

Brian , Ive been lucky enough to get free wood but its massive. i bought a log splitter with a lift to assit because theres no way to lift it . I use ramps to roll it on the trailer.

dolmar & makita are the same saw, ill look for a local dealer and hopefully someone will have them in stock.. The echo has the best pricing and the best warranty. Whats everyone think about those saws.

Brian , Ive been lucky enough to get free wood but its massive. i bought a log splitter with a lift to assit because theres no way to lift it . I use ramps to roll it on the trailer.

You have a Stihl dealer right? Grab a 440, 441/460.
Husqvarna dealer? 372XP or 365.
Dolly 7900 if you find a dealer.

If you have several big stems and need a log lift on the splitter, quit farting around nibbling the rounds off with 60cc saws, as your back will thank you.

Call me jealous about the wood problem!:cheers:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

i have owned a lot of echos,,, i have a friend thats an echo dealer and he now runs stihls and he is still a dealer,, that should tell you something,,, echo has a good warrenty on PAPER,, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty they will look for any reason not to do warrenty work,, i know that because he flat out told me that one day
i agree with the others,,ms-460 or teh 372xp

Big saw + big bar = big noodles
I don't have the money for a high dollar splitter or a trailer, and with a lifted truck, I would need 20' ramps for reasonable rolling into the bed. Noodling is my friend.

I have a stihl dealer and koher equipment who's a echo and makita dealer. I ordered my solo back pack blower online from solos usa because there wasnt a local dealer at the time. I will check later today and see if theres a new local dealer for solo.

Sounds like you don't have a Husky dealer, so buy a Stihl 440 if you have the money. If not, Makita 6401.

Last edited:
stick with a brand that has a good dealer close to you.those saws all have a good reputation,but like was said before echos' warranty is a joke.husky and stihl are usually the best brands as far as dealer support goes.

well , Solo 681 is a thing of the past EPA made them stop production of there larger saws. makita 6401 has been replaced by the 6421 low emission engine. i found a husqvarna dealer about a hr away and they have one 372 xp in stock. The stihl dealer is actually my favorite hardware store so it looks like stihl might be my best option.. i watched some videos on you tube and the 372xp seems to be a faster saw than the ms 460 despite being a 1/2hp less. The 372xp is $860.00 before tax and the ms460 is $1005.00 before tax. I also looked at the ms660 despite having 1 1/2hp more than the 372xp it still seems slower. What makes the 372xp seem so much faster.

Is Echo warranty that bad? Or is it dependent on distributors? Must be cause of all those Home depot customers filing bogus claims.

if you want to run a 32'' bar go big........ a Stihl 440 with a 32'' bar wont cut it in my opinion. I think a minimum of 75CCs but 80+ would be better. what saws do you have now.

well , Solo 681 is a thing of the past EPA made them stop production of there larger saws. makita 6401 has been replaced by the 6421 low emission engine. i found a husqvarna dealer about a hr away and they have one 372 xp in stock. The stihl dealer is actually my favorite hardware store so it looks like stihl might be my best option.. i watched some videos on you tube and the 372xp seems to be a faster saw than the ms 460 despite being a 1/2hp less. The 372xp is $860.00 before tax and the ms460 is $1005.00 before tax. I also looked at the ms660 despite having 1 1/2hp more than the 372xp it still seems slower. What makes the 372xp seem so much faster.

most of the 372s you are watching are probly ported in a head to head race with stock saws and the same bar and chain combo they would be so close as not to matter.

If the 32" wasnt a must I would get a Stihl MS440 if i were you. While they are still making them. If the 32" is a must then prolly a MS460 or Husqvarna 576AT IMHO. Of course porting the MS440 is always an option.

Over the years I have owned almost all the Pro production saws and have settled on the MS460R for most of my felling and bucking of hard wood up to 48 in.. The 460R is an exceptional saw as far as production and longivity goes. Should you decide on one of these incrediable saws you will not be sorry, if maintained properly it will last you for years. There is an umblievable diffrence between the 460R and the straight 460 and the R modle only cost about $50.00 more.

Back