What to do with pine log?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually there is a guy that posts here in IN by the Michigan border looking for big pine logs to make chainsaw carvings out of. But I can't remember his log on name.

Billy

Pine doesn't form creosote any more than any other wood - that is a function of moisture in the wood. Dry it properly and you get very little smoke and very little creosote.

Somewhere around here somebody posted links to some university studies that showed that there is not much difference in creosote between different kinds of wood. Moisture content and how hot the fire is were WAAAAAY more important.

I think pine gets a bad rap because people see the sap burning with its typical smoky flame and ASSUME that it makes more creosote.

Yeah, makes me kinda sad when i think about all the pine i have turned down. Three years ago a guy that worked at the pallet plant told me he had a whole pile of logs he needed gone.He had cut them down, piled em up nice and neat,then found out the mill wouldnt touch them when he told them he had cut them out of his front yard.
I got over there to take a look, and there were over two dozen pine logs stacked up,all been limbed and sitting high and dry.Most where in the 20 inch range,but since I was pretty stuck on "No Pine In My Stove" I told him I wasnt interested in it.Now I realize that would have made some good wood!

I always wanted to make a dug-out canoe. I would at least try some carving or rip them down and make benches for around your fire pit.

pine log

You do not say what type of pine logs you have but a lot of chainsaw carvers are always looking for larger diameter logs. Here is a post from the chainsaw carving area off of of arboristsite:

Thumbs up Chainsaw Artist Map Project
I have been working on a Google Map project to create a publicly accessible map showing all of the chainsaw carvers in the world. It's my hope this map will become a good marketing tool for all chainsaw carvers.

Many carvers have already been listed and I need help finding carvers who are not yet listed. Are you listed yet? Check the map to see... If not, you can send your information to me at [email protected]

Example:
carving business name
your name
location {full address or just city but is mandatory}
contact informaton {optional if you have a website}
website

I have examples of my map at custom zoom levels and code snippets for including it on your personal website or blog at:
http://woodhacker.com/map/

Thanks for the ideas, guys. You know, If anyone who is a member of this forum wants it, they can have it. Come and get it. Flora, Indiana. If not, I'll see if the mill will buy it.

There are more pine trees besides that 30 incher too. All have been cut down. Just need hauled away. :rockn:

Latest posts

Back