What was the first chainsaw you ran?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dad's Super660 Remington was the first I ran. First I owned was a Mac D36, only way to start it was dump a shot of fuel in the muffler and crank like hell but ran and start great the rest of the day. Still have that saw ! Favorite saw early MS440 flat top no decomp.

First one was a McCulloch Eager Beaver to do some clean up in early 90's. Then around 2010 I got a poulan 4218. After that a ms290 to cut in wy and ar.

First saw i used was my dads Pioneer-Partner p-39 plus, my grandpa sold them at his hardware/convenience store. He started with Partner, then when Pioneer and Partner became one, he sold them until the brand was done away with. I now have one of my own, built from parts from smashed saws a local logger gave him,(I now work for the guy, haha). Between dad, grandpa and me we have 6 of them and they all see wood often. I guess i could say the p-39 is my favorite too, because I think of cutting firewood with my grandpa when I was first learning, and it makes me smile. I know I'll be running these saws long after he's gone.

Poulan Micro XXV deluxe , I remember riding my bicycle 10 miles round trip to buy the saw with money I had saved up from doing odd jobs , my father had an electric craftsman but I did not care for it so figured I would just by my own. From that day on I realized I probably had some sort of addiction to saws.

I guess the first one I ran was my Dad's Disston DA211. He had the contract removing dead trees at the National Zoo in DC. I remember flushing stumps in the animal enclosures. He let me run the throttle as he pulled the bar around with the helper handle. The next one I really ran by myself was a Homelite Super 1050 Auto with a 24" bar. Dad got PO'ed at his old boss. Dad had the license and insurance and his boss had the money for the trucks and equipment. He double crossed Dad on a big job, so the next day,Dad went out and bought a brand new Asplundh 16 chipper and the new 1050. The only thing he kept from the old company was the DA211 and his little Homelite XL101 he used up in the tree. Our first job was removing a monster Cottonwood. After a couple hours on that 1050 I thought I was gonna die. I grabbed an old double blade ax and was limbing up brush with it until it sliced through one limb and hit another on the handle and snapped the head off. So, it was back to the 1050. I still have the DA211 and both of Dad's Super 1050's, Joe.

The first that I ran that was actually mine was an Echo 500 I bought at an auction probably 15-20 yrs ago. Paid $75 for it and she stills runs and looks great right now.

First saw I ran was a Stihl 044. Today, my favorite chainsaw is a Stihl MS441 M-Tronic. A lot smoother, a bit more power, and I don't have to adjust the carburetor. I like the red version of the Husky 372 and 390 too. I just can't get over that bent handlebar. Probably could if I really needed, but I prefer a straight one

First saw was about 1963, it was a McCulloch with a geardrive that weighed as much as I did. Had a glass bowl on the carb and if it flooded you had to shut off the gas and lay it on the side while pulling the cord. Now I have 2 favorites, either 372xp or Jred 670.

A little blue homie with the manual oiler and the thigh burning muffler.
An XL101? My dad bought it, he got a great deal, it was the last saw the dealer had with a manual only oiler and he wanted to get rid of it. I remember it was supposed to be a professional saw. Pretty sure Dad still has it. That oiler would give me cramps in my hand.

The first saw I ran was a homelite super ez auto or maybe a newer homelite ranger not sure. I'm completely rebuilding the super ez now and looking for a piston and cylinder. My favorite saw thus far is probably a orange homelite super xl auto. image.jpg
No pics of the SXLAO

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 14
Back