What Was Your First Job In The Woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was on a construction crew in between school semesters, and started off as a dozer operator building an access road.

My first real "woods" job was as Wildland Firefighter in 2001 as a temp for USFS. I was 20, and in between college semesters. I took S-212 and came out as a B faller (now Class 2). I was thrown onto a hand crew on the Thirty Mile Fire... I can say I completed my taskbook for C sawyer, but it was a sad fire.

Once around 95 I bought some ripe pumkins I had managed a decade prior for 10 G's from a biker club. Deal done, down and trucked out. Club wants another 5 G's, so I go in again and cut the stuff I was supposed to leave for the next cut. Mailbox bomb goes off and kills woodlot owner. So Im an immediate suspect. I was only guilty by association because I threw at least two logbuyers out with no ceremony. Soon after I was cleared as a suspect.
I bet that bush is waiting for me.

Once around 95 I bought some ripe pumkins I had managed a decade prior for 10 G's from a biker club. Deal done, down and trucked out. Club wants another 5 G's, so I go in again and cut the stuff I was supposed to leave for the next cut. Mailbox bomb goes off and kills woodlot owner. So Im an immediate suspect. I was only guilty by association because I threw at least two logbuyers out with no ceremony. Soon after I was cleared as a suspect.
I bet that bush is waiting for me.
If you substituted "pumkins" for "kilo's", that post would have made a lot more sense.

Sounds like bad juju
No, not at all. I could feel I was being handled with kid gloves by most I knew. Lol
Nobody had their thumb on the ruler after that. Maybe that's why nobody tries to timber tresspass in my neck of the woods. Lol
I never did get that Savage Feither Weight out of the deal.. The one the Mad Trapper had.

So anyway, I got out of Indian country the hard way. I think the Cheif's father was trying to scare me off when he said, "If we find out you're a spy for the government, the coyotes will be chewing on your ribs and the ravens will be plucking out your eyeballs. This badanage I took with stoical good grace.
Shortly after that when I ran out of whiteman's grub, I was eating beaver meat fried in bear fat of unknown expiry date and got sick as hell. None of my cuts or sores would heal and I was bush crazy by then. The Indians wouldnt come around anymore because I think they thought I was nuts. Probably was. Lol
A plane flew over and I waved it down and GTF out of there!
Did I tell this part of the story already?

So anyway, I got out of Indian country the hard way. I think the Cheif's father was trying to scare me off when he said, "If we find out you're a spy for the government, the coyotes will be chewing on your ribs and the ravens will be plucking out your eyeballs. This badanage I took with stoical good grace.
Shortly after that when I ran out of whiteman's grub, I was eating beaver meat fried in bear fat of unknown expiry date and got sick as hell. None of my cuts or sores would heal and I was bush crazy by then. The Indians wouldnt come around anymore because I think they thought I was nuts. Probably was. Lol
A plane flew over and I waved it down and GTF out of there!
Did I tell this part of the story already?

I know why you really had to get out of there. The chiefs daughter had a gypo bun in the oven!

I know why you really had to get out of there. The chiefs daughter had a gypo bun in the oven!
You must have read the moccasin telegraph, cause I was gonna leave that part of the story out. I was with the cheif's brothers daughter and he showed up next day and said, "my Daughter says you're a lousy fuk!", I was pretty scared at time, but looking back he was just showing his acceptance. I should have stayed with that girl, but sometimes a good man gets away. Lol.

Latest posts

Back