What was your very first?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my first saw in 1974 a Homelite EZ auto. Dad told me to buy it on credit to get my credit started. Cut firewood and logs and pulpwood with it and payed for it in 4 weeks. Still have it and it still runs. The best advice and saw I ever had. Them was the days.
Joe

Stihl 017 in my mid-20s. It would start on the third pull like clockwork when cold, but you had to let it cool for 15 minutes before it would start again once hot. Forced you to either take a break between tanks of gas or leave it running while you gassed it up.

Ian

My first saw was my Husky 340 I bought when I was 15 or so. Cut a downed oak after a storm and have been dropping hard-wood ever since!!

I was about 8 or 9 had lived in the woods all my life with no city power or amenities. We had only wood for heat. Dad bought a used mac 10-10. I went and grabed it to move it for him and he said if you can start it have a go with it. Him thinking I wouldn't be able to , when it fired up I think his a$$ puckered a bit. I put alot of wood down with that thing. First saws I bought myself were a ms290 and 660 .

My first saw was a well used Skil and then when a large willow blew down in our yard my dad sponsored a Stihl 026 which I still use regularly. the Skil I eventually gave to a friend who needed something for his landscape business when a lopper was too small. I think he eventually passed it on to someone else. Who knows, maybe it's still cutting somewhere...

What was your first ?

First, MM, fellow East side of the mountain dweller!

I really can't remember the exact first time I ran a saw, but since my dad ran a "Big" McCulloch when we wood cut, it was that. I went through 4 McCulloch saws the first year, then figured out if I want to cut and be able to repair my saws, I better switch brands!?
Never been happier and I love my 064AV!:heart:
My baby!
saw091.JPG

First saw was in my early teens, dad's McCulloch 610 he bought in his late teens. Still runs great.

Bought my own first saw a few weeks ago, Husqvarna 346xp. Already got the itch for something bigger!

I started out on dads 034AV and I bought a MS290 my sophmore year in high school. I had the 290 for all of 2 months and I took it back and traded it on my MS360 which I still have now. Me and one of my high school buddies got a job one summer clearing about 25 acres of multifloral rose and yellow locust ranging from 2'' to 24'' or so. That 290 didn't like a 20'' bar in the big yellow locust. We both had FS85 brushcutters for the small stuff. Mine has bike handles and his had regular handles. My FS85 is the best starting thing I own, 3 pulls cold every time no matter how long it sits.

Dad had a little Homelite Xl that he gave me in 1987... then some time later big brother was wigged out on drugs, stole it out of the garage :cry: and sold it for a quick fix.

I can still remember the exhaust note from that little guy...:(
Still lookin for replacement...

My first and and still owned isa POulan 3400. Bought it in 1980 because I couldn't afford a Stihl. One of the best saws I've ever owned. Only replaced rings and fuel line last year. Now I have more than 20 saws, but that's the fault of this site

First saw I ever ran was a Mac 15.

First one I bought was a pioneer 1074, circa 1980.:chainsaw:

my first saw, when I moved from the big city to a fully-forested acreage in the country was a POS poulan 3416. Spent about 3 months cutting enough wood to last about 2 months. lol.

Told a friend I needed a bigger saw & he showed up with a beat up old 056 super! lol. Thing scared the hell out of me! Thankfully he also brought me an 08s which was hard on the arms (vibration) but cut about 10 times faster than my poulan.

The first "real" saw that I ever bought was my dollie 5100 and I have been hooked ever since.

I was raised with Homelites, blue XLs, C5s, 5-20....didn't really know anything else existed. When I was 17, I went to work on nieghboring ranch, the old guy drug out a big yellow chainsaw, we commenced on a big Madrone. It was like seeing a chainsaw for the first time, the whole expirience left a life long impression on me. I had to have one, the next time I got to a town, in this case Ferndale, I walked into the feedstore with very hard earned 150 bucks. I strutted out of there with a nice hot running 250 with a 24" rollernose. My Grandad rolled his eyes, asked about the C9 that he thought I was buying. I told him it felt funny, left it at that. My Grandad was a Homelite guy, he had some anvil class Malls, Terrills, but his drinking buddy sold Homelites. A couple years later, I had a drinking buddy who sold, tinkered with McCullochs.

Poulan S25DA, 2.3 cid tophandle SCREAMER. Great price at a Navy Exchange in Norfolk- game on. Used for a few years feeding scrounged dead-wood to a little box stove. (When it wasn't cool.)

Open it up and hang on. Eventually needed something that didn't rattle windows. :chainsaw:

Learned how by "osmosis" watching and working as a "groundie" on a 3-man tree crew summers in college; boss was a master. One reason all body parts are attached.

I grew up in Nevada, me and my step father would cut firewood with bow saws. Years later living in Washington state my first chainsaw was a yellow electric with 12 in bar for yard work. My father-in-law gave me my first gas chainsaw, a stihl 032av, which he could no longer use. I still use this saw alot even though I have CAD and have a few to choose from.

Back