what would you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capecodtree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
One of my sales calls today was at a house with a 60' silver maple next to it. The elderly home owner is afraid a hurricane will topple the tree onto his or his neighbors house. the tree is 48" dbh, with multiple leaders. It was topped years ago resulting in a thick, leggy crown. He wants it topped again, by 40'. He will not remove it because the lower branch's provide a screen between houses. Money is not an object, but my professional pride is. I explained the reasons that trees are not topped and he does not care, he cares about his house. I gave him a high estimate figuring he would tell me to screw. the s.o.b signed it! In retrospect I should have not given any estimate and just walked away. I am swamped with work and "in an effort to get the job done in a timely manner" will recommend another tree company for the job. There are plenty of hungry tree companies where I live. As a tree care professional I cannot top 40' from a 60' tree, as a humanitarian I cannot leave a potentially dangerous tree over a clients house. what would you do?

It's a Silver, it will grow back bushier than before. Hell, top it at 10 feet that way it won't get too big before the trunk rots out and topples the whole thing most likely after the house has changed hands and depending on how old you are you will not need to worry about it. :hmm3grin2orange:

Tell him the only way you'll do it is on a top and replacement program. You help him select a tree to fill in, buy the material from the nursery, top the tree and then plant nearby the existing tree to eventually fill
in. You get paid to plant a tree, top a tree, then remove it in a year or two years or whenever. If he
doesn't want to do it your way and you can afford it, walk away. Good luck!

jp:D

Make sure you explain that what he is asking is a temporary bandage, your plan will help solve his
problem because you are going to help him plant the right tree in the right place, and top his tree which
he so desperately wants done.

jp:D

One of my sales calls today was at a house with a 60' silver maple next to it. The elderly home owner is afraid a hurricane will topple the tree onto his or his neighbors house. the tree is 48" dbh, with multiple leaders. It was topped years ago resulting in a thick, leggy crown. He wants it topped again, by 40'. He will not remove it because the lower branch's provide a screen between houses. Money is not an object, but my professional pride is. I explained the reasons that trees are not topped and he does not care, he cares about his house. I gave him a high estimate figuring he would tell me to screw. the s.o.b signed it! In retrospect I should have not given any estimate and just walked away. I am swamped with work and "in an effort to get the job done in a timely manner" will recommend another tree company for the job. There are plenty of hungry tree companies where I live. As a tree care professional I cannot top 40' from a 60' tree, as a humanitarian I cannot leave a potentially dangerous tree over a clients house. what would you do?

So you have to choose between your ethical professional opinion and money. For me I would walk. Standard policy I don't top trees. Recently turned down a job where customer wanted 30 trees topped because they blocked their river view. Probably would have killed 1/2 of them in the first two years. I said that job was too big and walked. Someone else came in and did it.

Just refused a topping job yesterday.

Neighbor of the job I'm doing now. Woman is pissed I won't do it but oh well.

Oh yeah, btw. Yes, if they want it topped, you say " not good" then they say they don't care then charge a lot and whack it off.

Latest posts

Back