what you guys got burning in this cold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjake

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have a bunch of locust saved for weather like this started last night with it
had the house at 76 deg before i knew it.

Elm and Cherry and a little maple, it's keeping up pretty decent, my thermometer read -14.9 this morning.:buttkick:

i've been saving big pieces of maple. normally id use oak but ill take the huge maple pieces over small oak pieces in this weather. most of my wood is split small as i split it to go in the insert. ive abandoned the insert in favor of a woodstove in the cellar this year. so from now on i dont have to split the pieces so small :clap:

What ever stacked up by the house. Oak ,hickory and looks like I just threw in some cherry. -11 outside now, about 75 in in here ,toasty :)

its 13 degree here right now and dropping...ive burnt crappy ol poplar all day to get rid of it...got some locust white oak and red oak and some sourwood for tonight.

Black Locust and White Oak on the porch and in the stove...Just got home from work to my furnace running and the boys room down to 60 degrees...Guess I will let it run for awhile to get it back up to temp:( :cry: ...-10 already w/ a real feel of -25...

hickory but, i,m going to break out that coal I have been saving for this nasty cold weather. I get the hickory nice and hot then star mixing with coal works great!!

hedgeapple/osage for the stove.

A bit of sticky weed for the breakroom...........

Even let the shop kitties in tonight, they are freaking out. Tink does not know they are in the house.....Yet.

hickory and ash

I'm mixing a little bit of ash in with loads of hickory.
As long as the skies clear, my wood stove breathes great and I can really tweak with the amount of oxygen I give my wood, however if the skies get cloudy and overcast I usually have to open up the vents a lot more and burn more cautiously as it becomes easy to smolder my hickory logs (only seasoned for 6 months)

Edit: Not factoring windchill: it's 1.9 degree F.
eeek.gif

Last edited:
Back