What's a decent aftermarket bar and chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitedogone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking for STIHL saw of course. I'm looking to add a couple of bars and chains. should I stay with Stihl or is there a good aftermarket solution? WDO

Stihl is among the best ones, but priced accordingly.

I see little point in looking elsewhere, unless it is to save money.

Lots of bars that are certainly acceptable.

Oregon, Carlton, Windsor all come mind. The last two bars I purchased. (large Husky 058 20 inch, and small Husky .058 18 inch) were Total Super Bars and I have no complaints. They were about the same $ as Oregon but seemed to be better made.

Be sure to get one with a replaceable tip. Always found if I didn't bend the bar first, the tip was the first thing to go. Check the site sponsors' websites, they should be able to help you.

As to chain, I'd recommend staying with Stihl as I think it is probably the best. If you're looking for a decent lower cost alternative, try Bailey's Woodland Pro.

Take Care

Right now I'm looking at 24". I want to save some $ over Stihl.... but don't want to give up too much in quality. WDO

I have several of these and really like them. Sugihara Lightweight

Both are good choices. The metallugy on the GB bars is good, but the paint does wear off very quickly. Stihl ES bars are also great quality. If you want to spend less money, the Carlton bars from Baileys are an excellent choice, though quite often you will have to wait for a backorder to come in.

I run stihl and GB titanium bars on all my saws. If i could find a Sugi Hara in a 24" 3/8 .050 I would jump all over it.

Go to Bailey's 24"Carlton Premium Sprocket Tip $29.95 + $10.00 Ship can't beat the price. Made in Germany well made.

Last edited:
I have a few Sugi Hara bars and they are excellent. I also have a Carlton Premium and I think it's just as good...but since you are looking for a Stihl, stick with the Stihl bars. To get the same quality your going to spend almost the same money.

Last edited:
I have a few Sugi Hara bars and they are excellent. I also have a Carlton Premium and I think it's just as good...but since you are looking for a Stihl, stick with the Stihl bars. To get the same quality your going to spend almost the same money.

I believe he said "I have a Stihl saw are there any aftermarket bars" So with that said No doubt Stihl bars are great but, they come at a high price. I inquired about 24" Rollomatic ES sprocket tip , several dealers wanted $65.00 and up. Just my 2

I believe he said "I have a Stihl saw are there any aftermarket bars" So with that said No doubt Stihl bars are great but, they come at a high price. I inquired about 24" Rollomatic ES sprocket tip , several dealers wanted $65.00 and up. Just my 2

The 24" Sugi Hara bars are a little more than that with shipping now....

$74 here:cry:

I forgot to mention, no matter what aftermarket bar I run; 99% of the time I'm running stihl chain on my saws.

Back