Whats a good splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlgreenman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking to split more wood to keep up with my buyer's needs. I am splitting about 10 cords a year by hand. Ive told 3 people that I was out this year all 11cords sold. I do it for fun and sell my cords cheap 150 all oak. So I am looking for a spliter to help my out come, 10 is about my max with school. I would like a splitter that has a lift for the real big rounds if not o well im young. It needs to have a change-able splitting wedge id like a 4 and a 8 piece. Thanks.

"what's a good splitter?" is like asking what is a good make of truck. You will get many opinions.
As far as wanting 4-6 way wedge and log lift you just moved up a huge jump in the $$$$$ department.
For 10-12 cords I would buy a Huskee 22 ton (can be found for around 1K new. I just bought one for 750 slightly used), great splitter, not pricey and the vertical mode is pretty handy for the bigger stuff. It will split most anything you can throw at it and is plenty fast enough for two workers and it won't brake the bank.

Im gonna go and second what dave said. To get the features you want plan on spending 5-6K...and that's for a heavily used model like a timberwolf tw-5 or tw-6. Even if you triple your production and sales it will be many years before you break even.

I have to ask, why are your selling cords of oak so cheap? I'm on the eastern side of PA and I sold out of everything I had. I'm selling mixed hardwoods for $195. Sold all my "oak only" cords at $225. Even all my green stuff went out the gate at $165.

Around here firewood goes for $45 - $50 a rank... depending on the seller you might get 1/3 of a cord and no telling what the wood is but mostly hardwood. Seems no one knows what a cord of wood is here.

John

I second the fact that a huskee 22tn would more than suit your needs for a production of 10 cords.

You can get a log lift in the $3k range.

An 8 way wedge is going to be expensive, it takes a lot of force to push that through. You will most likely be well over $5k.

go with a iron&oak i have one 2600.00 i split 600 cords with it never a problem or a timber woof but big bucks this one was 8000.00
svgimp.jpg

Magnoliaman

I recommend a Supersplit. It is very fast, simple and reliable.
I am looking to split more wood to keep up with my buyer's needs. I am splitting about 10 cords a year by hand. Ive told 3 people that I was out this year all 11cords sold. I do it for fun and sell my cords cheap 150 all oak. So I am looking for a spliter to help my out come, 10 is about my max with school. I would like a splitter that has a lift for the real big rounds if not o well im young. It needs to have a change-able splitting wedge id like a 4 and a 8 piece. Thanks.

Im gonna go and second what dave said. To get the features you want plan on spending 5-6K...and that's for a heavily used model like a timberwolf tw-5 or tw-6. Even if you triple your production and sales it will be many years before you break even.

I have to ask, why are your selling cords of oak so cheap? I'm on the eastern side of PA and I sold out of everything I had. I'm selling mixed hardwoods for $195. Sold all my "oak only" cords at $225. Even all my green stuff went out the gate at $165.

HOLY CAT BATMAN!!! $225 i don't think people here in Perry County would ever pay that much best I see is like 180 give or take... I sell mine so cheap because most people give me an extra 20 or 50 to help them load or stack. One gives me 100 load and stack she about 60 years old and lives down the road a little. So I get about what you get. Im also not in it for hardcore money I like doing it for fun and the older people.

A splitter that has a horizontal and vertical mode would be just fine and like you all said it would bring the cost down.

What's a good splitter? Mine. It doesn't have any of those wazoo features that most of the ones presented here do, but that old gal has been making firewood for over 35 years. Just sayin'.

HOLY CAT BATMAN!!! $225 i don't think people here in Perry County would ever pay that much best I see is like 180 give or take... I sell mine so cheap because most people give me an extra 20 or 50 to help them load or stack. One gives me 100 load and stack she about 60 years old and lives down the road a little. So I get about what you get. Im also not in it for hardcore money I like doing it for fun and the older people.

A splitter that has a horizontal and vertical mode would be just fine and like you all said it would bring the cost down.

One thing for sure is that if you're working for "beer money", that's all you'll ever make. Tough to pay for a splitter...even a used one...with a beer money budget.

Bahahaha

One thing for sure is that if you're working for "beer money", that's all you'll ever make. Tough to pay for a splitter...even a used one...with a beer money budget.

Im 18 I dont even drink, I hate beer. Im still in high school... so I dont have a house payment or anything just my truck which only has like 5,000 left. I like water and milk, im more the athletic type. I like my body the way it is. I do not need that stuff its nothing but trouble. I dont even do it for the money more for fun than anything... Im a lifegaurd at a pretty high-end pool and make 15.50 an hour and I work everyday in the summer 8 hours on a short day and 14 on a long day. Fun easy work:)

Around here firewood goes for $45 - $50 a rank... depending on the seller you might get 1/3 of a cord and no telling what the wood is but mostly hardwood. Seems no one knows what a cord of wood is here.

John

Lots of people in Perry co. Mo. take their wood to Stl where they get the big bucks, but you are right about the $40-50 a rank (1/3 cord).

Lots of people in Perry co. Mo. take their wood to Stl where they get the big bucks, but you are right about the $40-50 a rank (1/3 cord).

Howdy Neighbor... seems to be a lot of folks from Missouri on here. I like to tease people about a rank and tell them it is what ever the buyer and seller agrees it to be. I wonder how the term rank started?

John

$250 a cord in NJ. Seen guys sell a 48" hoop of wood for $70 at the fancy garden centers.
Timberwolf or Built - Rite will last you a very long time and a great investment since your so young.

You are high. Have fun ripping people off. :clap:

It's not a rip-off. If people willingly pay what the price is there's no rip off. Tomtrees knows his market, he's been in the tree business longer than you've been alive. People who rip other people off don't last.

I can get 300 a cord for seasoned oak any time I have some for sale. People pay that with a smile. Does that make me a rip off artist?

You charge what you charge, he charges what he charges. Let it go.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back