What's going on with these trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing this stuff every day all over town. Unless you conspiracy theorists think there is someone running around poisoning the sunny side of trees.

It is highly unlikely that the edge of the driveway runs perpendicular to solar south.

That is what it would take for such an even case of winter kill.

What evidence do you have that the damaged side is the sunny side?

Look at the shadows under the bushes. I know they are small because the pic was mid day but they are only under the green sides. I'd stop by the place and take a picture in the evening if I could get the address. BTW I chuckle every time I see your Feynman quote.

I agree that winter kill could be the right answer.

BTW, I've not suggested that the killing was intentional.

I've been looking at photos of winter kill in the billings area and don't not find any with such an even death pattern. I do see that winter kill is a huge problem in the area. Ditto with salt damage. Of course the reflected light off of the driveway would make winter kill more likely. Note too the damage to the sidewalk in the first photo. That looks like chemical damage and it stops right at the dividing line between the two properties. Of course the sidewalk could have been poured at different times as the houses were being built.

Feynman was a very interesting person. Read any of his stuff? There's a little on YouTube. If you like the Feynman quote maybe you'll like this Einstein quote too:

It is spring as Professor Albert Einstein and his assistant walk across the Princeton University campus. The shy assistant asks the famous Physicist if the test he just gave his Physics graduate students isn’t the same test he gave last year to this same group of students? Yes Einstein answers, it is the same test to the same students. The dumbfounded assistant asks, “How, Doctor Einstein, could you give the same test to the same students, two years in a row?” “Well,” Einstein answers slowly, “the answers have changed.”

I've even pee'd standing on my hands. I think about him every time I pick a lock.

I do see the staining on the concrete and would never claim absolute certainty without having been onsite but I have seen this kind of die off all over town.

Sorry haven't checked here in a bit - damaged side is facing due south.

Drive was poured before the bushes were planted. ( I should know - I vandalized that house as it was being built back in the mid 80s- I just know that's going to come back on me one of these days....:dumb2: )

So, Steward, how long you been in Billings? I grew up in the heights, went to Skyview - 2nd graduating class in '89. You?

Last Best News - Billings Montana ,June 2015
Winter burn on trees, shrubs is the worst in decades

Everywhere you go in Billings, the effects of last November’s harsh temperatures are starkly apparent.

Two of the most common trees and shrubs—junipers and arborvitae—were hit hard by the early freeze, leaving thousands of the plants with brown, dead-looking foliage.

But it turns out the damage is much worse than you might think. Amy Grandpre, the horticulture assistant with the Yellowstone County Extension Service, said numerous other species of trees and shrubs were hammered as well, including fruit trees, elm trees and burning bushes, the ones that display bright crimson leaves.

“It’s kind of escalating,” she said. “First it was evergreens and now it’s all kinds of things.” Grandpre said the damage inflicted this winter was the worst she’d seen in her 35 years with the extension service.

Richard Marble, the owner of Billings Nursery and Landscaping, said he’s witnessed nothing like it in his nearly 45 years in the business.

“This is by far the worst I’ve seen it,” he said. “This is across the board. It hit everything.”
Many of the evergreens suffered only winter burn, not winter kill, Marble and Grandpre said, and they will come back in time. But as Marble said, “they’re just going to look really rough for a long time.”

The damage occurred last November, which started out unseasonably warm and then grew bitterly cold in a big hurry. According to the National Weather Service, the high in Billings on Nov. 8 was 69. By Nov. 11 it had plunged to 1 below zero, then 4 below on Nov. 12 and 8 below on Nov. 13.

Compounding the damage, it warmed up again, hitting 61 degrees by Nov. 28 before dropping to 4 below on Nov. 29 and 8 below on Nov. 30. Elsewhere in Montana, temperatures of 20 below were not uncommon in November.

Because the trees were still actively growing and were not yet dormant when the temperatures plunged, the cold, snow and wind all conspired to burn the foliage.

http://lastbestnews.com/site/2015/06/winter-burn-on-trees-shrubs-is-the-worst-in-decades/

Latest posts

Back