What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duck rumaki. :D

IMG_5851.JPG

You could always host a gtg?

I would love to. But the wife's father was sent to the hospital Tuesday by the rescue people., he is 93 years old, and his sister is 98 years old, and they argue every day on the phone like little kids , The wife has not been in a very good mood for the last several years if you know what I mean.

Thanks. The neighbors loved it. They couldn't believe it was duck because "duck normally tastes like crap". I told them I'd been working on this recipe for years after enduring many meals of duck that wasn't the best.

Can't remember if I mentioned but I only cook duck one of three ways: rumaki, stroganoff, or jerky. Otherwise you get the not desirable taste of liver loud and clear lol.

I would love to. But the wife's father was sent to the hospital Tuesday by the rescue people., he is 93 years old, and his sister is 98 years old, and they argue every day on the phone like little kids , The wife has not been in a very good mood for the last several years if you know what I mean.
Sorry to hear man. I'm sure someone will host a gtg in your neighborhood at some point coming up.

Those look great... Did you dry age them yourself?

I am curious as well. I'm not familiar with dry aging.

Looks awesome!!!

I've read about it on a smoking meat forum I frequent. However, I'm too nervous to try it.

See page 8, post 158 of this thread for more info on how I do it. It's easy. I was nervous on my first attempt but it passed quickly. Start with 14 days and work your way up. If you keep things clean and the temp right, it's idiot proof.
I found Choice Strip shells pretty cheap, $5.47 a pound, at Sams last week. I bought two, about 30lbs total. I'm aging them now. They'll be ready to cut and package around Thanksgiving.

I start with a whole Primal. Below is a pic of two strip shells I did earlier this year.
View attachment 506548
I rinse and pat dry before placing on a rack, on a sheet pan. The sheet pan goes in the vegetable drawer of my Pantry fridge. The drawer stays around 38 degrees. Nothing else is allowed in the drawer while it has meat aging in it. There they stay, until I pull them out to slice, trim and package. During the aging process, the meat develops a crust that has to be trimmed off before eating or packaging. After trimming, I vacuum pack the steaks individually and freeze.
In the pic of the Rib eyes, the white on the sheet pan is Kosher salt. Salt is a natural anti bacterial agent and helps pull moisture from the meat, even though it never touches the meat.
Below is a pic of the strip steaks after trimming. They weren't aged as long as the Ribeye's and are brighter red in color. The longer the meat ages, the deeper the color becomes and more tender the meat is.
28 days is the longest I've aged a Primal. If you go too far, it can get funky.
There's a lot of information online (some of it good and some, not so much) about the process. It's not rocket science and can yield excellent results, if properly done.
View attachment 506556
QTLA

Back