What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read about it on a smoking meat forum I frequent. However, I'm too nervous to try it.

Don't think smoked meat will hurt you, as it is all I had to eat up until about 1971 when we got a freezer, but we still smoked the hams and shoulders, and the side meat. Which I miss to this day! Always used green hickory in a tin stove to smoke the meat in the meat house. Again I miss doing that.

Don't think smoked meat will hurt you, as it is all I had to eat up until about 1971 when we got a freezer, but we still smoked the hams and shoulders, and the side meat. Which I miss to this day! Always used green hickory in a tin stove to smoke the meat in the meat house. Again I miss doing that.

Oh, I'm not worried about smoked meats/foods. Been smoking for yrs.
I was referring to dry aging meats.

Carolina dry rub ribs. Put the dry rub and brown sugar on the ribs then did about 45 minutes over charcoal with hickory chips. Finishing in the oven covered in foil.

IMG_5981.JPG
IMG_5982.JPG

Oh, I'm not worried about smoked meats/foods. Been smoking for yrs.
I was referring to dry aging meats.

Guess I was thinking about scalding hogs, And salting the hams, shoulders, and side meat for couple months, then hanging them up in the meat house to smoke them to keep the skippers out of the meat. We used to kill 8 to 12 hogs every year and salt them down. Then build a fire with green hickory saplings in a old tin heater in the meat house so it would only put out smoke for 3 or 4 days after the meat was removed from the salt and hung up on meat hooks above the smoke.

Guess I was thinking about scalding hogs, And salting the hams, shoulders, and side meat for couple months, then hanging them up in the meat house to smoke them to keep the skippers out of the meat. We used to kill 8 to 12 hogs every year and salt them down. Then build a fire with green hickory saplings in a old tin heater in the meat house so it would only put out smoke for 3 or 4 days after the meat was removed from the salt and hung up on meat hooks above the smoke.

That brings back many fond memories. I remember in the late sixties early seventies my dad and uncle butchering hogs. They would use every thing but the squeal. Catch the blood for blood pudding and blood sausage. salt the hinds and bellies like you mentioned. Dad hated the scurfing process. lol

That brings back many fond memories. I remember in the late sixties early seventies my dad and uncle butchering hogs. They would use every thing but the squeal. Catch the blood for blood pudding and blood sausage. salt the hinds and bellies like you mentioned. Dad hated the scurfing process. lol

Don't forget the lard making, and the brains and scrambled eggs for the first breakfast. Can't find any lard around here anymore. I guess people are scared to eat good food anymore. " Don't mean you Steve! "

Hog jowl is also hard to beat in my book!!

Don't forget the lard making, and the brains and scrambled eggs for the first breakfast. Can't find any lard around here anymore. I guess people are scared to eat good food anymore. " Don't mean you Steve! "

If I remember correctly, they would boil certain"parts" of the hog to make head cheese. But I definitely remember jowl bacon.

Ribs were tender and tasty. This was my first try cooking them in this manner so I'm happy.

The rub could have been more robust. I didn't put too much on as I wasn't sure how strong it would be. Next time I'll go heavier on the spices.

IMG_5986.JPG

If I remember correctly, they would boil certain"parts" of the hog to make head cheese. But I definitely remember jowl bacon.

Very true. But I can not talk about that on these forums. We had people to do that job back then. It was always salted meat.

They still make head cheese up here. I've never tried it though.

That's one of those things where you need to have a few beers in you the first time you try it. Kind of like soft shell crab. It took me a few drinks in to try it and gol darn, those things are darn tasty!

That's one of those things where you need to have a few beers in you the first time you try it. Kind of like soft shell crab. It took me a few drinks in to try it and gol darn, those things are darn tasty!

Try it . You will like it. As I have eaten it all my life. It is a southern thing, " very good "

I bet USMC615 would like it!!

I buy Lard at the local Grocery store. It used to come in blocks. Now it comes in little tubs.
I don't use it except to occasionally fry fish. It makes a difference.
image.jpg

Very true. But I can not talk about that on these forums. We had people to do that job back then. It was always salted meat.

Try it . You will like it. As I have eaten it all my life. It is a southern thing, " very good "

I bet USMC615 would like it!!

When I lived in New York, there was a little sausage shop not far from where I lived, that was owned by an old German couple. The old Lady convinced me to try their Head Cheese. It was outstanding.
I've never had any, from any place else, that even came close.
I don't even buy it anymore, because I'm always disappointed.

Back