What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy Lard at the local Grocery store. It used to come in blocks. Now it comes in little tubs.
I don't use it except to occasionally fry fish. It makes a difference.
View attachment 535492

The only way to fry chicken etc. But it is not like home made lard.

Sorry svk, You can't have any!! Just keep on :chop: wood! lol.

Anyone else doing the turkey on the grill this year?

My family has never done a turkey in the oven. Dad always did it on the Webber as long as I can remember.

Sooooo.....this year since my neighbors are going to be home....I opened my mouth and said I'd give it a try on the pellet grill. :eek:

I'll take pictures of the process and how it "hopefully" turns out.

My family has never done a turkey in the oven. Dad always did it on the Webber as long as I can remember.

Sooooo.....this year since my neighbors are going to be home....I opened my mouth and said I'd give it a try on the pellet grill. :eek:

My friend's dad used to do those. Some of the best turkey I've ever had.

Like to know how it turns out.

Not doing one this year but have done quite a few.
It's good eating, you'll like it. Are you going to brine the bird?

Not doing one this year but have done quite a few.
It's good eating, you'll like it. Are you going to brine the bird?

Yep. It should be finished thawing tonight and I'll start the brining process.

Thursday's dinner.
I've got this in the fridge, drying out. It's choice, not Prime but the drying process should make up for it.
I'll give it an hour of heavy smoke, then finish in the oven to Med Rare.
I started doing Rib roasts like this a few years ago, after having smoked Prime Rib at a steak place in Fort Walton Beach.
Highly recommended.
image.jpg

8e25c21196f36234e45508f0998204bd.jpg

Turkey on a smoker is delicious. Keeping it hydrated is huge. I use a lot of apples that give off moisture during the cook. I do not eat the apples just utilize their moisture for the cook and throw them away afterwords.

2-4 hours of smoke is a decent amount for most people, you can wrap it at that point or throw it in the oven from there. A little is good and more is not always better, turkey has a lot of natural flavor and doesn't need a whole lot of smoke and the risk of drying out the bird goes up expeditionary with longer smoking times.

Hope this helps, let me know if anyone needs more specifics.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8e25c21196f36234e45508f0998204bd.jpg

Turkey on a smoker is delicious. Keeping it hydrated is huge. I use a lot of apples that give off moisture during the cook. I do not eat the apples just utilize their moisture for the cook and throw them away afterwords.

2-4 hours of smoke is a decent amount for most people, you can wrap it at that point or throw it in the oven from there. A little is good and more is not always better, turkey has a lot of natural flavor and doesn't need a whole lot of smoke and the risk of drying out the bird goes up expeditionary with longer smoking times.

Hope this helps, let me know if anyone needs more specifics.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brining helps a lot as well.

Thursday's dinner.
I've got this in the fridge, drying out. It's choice, not Prime but the drying process should make up for it.
I started doing Rib roasts like this a few years ago, after having smoked Prime Rib at a steak place in Fort Walton Beach.
Highly recommended.
View attachment 538654

Damn't :D

I'm a huge fan of smoked turkey...I'll try to post up some pictures of my work later. Brine at least 24 hours I feel is imperative. I agree w/ Fire I stuff the turkey w/ apples and oranges, inject the breast w/ melted butter (flavor the butter as you wish, I like cajun). I run the 1st hour on the smoker around 350-400 and it really helps the skin crisp up (found out by mistake, had forgotten to close the damper). Bring temp down to 250 and let it go ill I hit my internal temp target. I also put the bird in a tin foil style pan and dump a can of beer in the pan to assist a bit more w/ keeping the bird moist. I have found that keeping any sugar out of my rub helps to get the golden brown skin like I want, sugar will tend to burn and leave the skin too dark (black). Next bird I do I'm going to put in the pan breast down to see if that encourages an even moister breast.

This was tonight's dinner, bone in pork shoulder. I did all of the prep last night and threw it in the pellet grill before I left for work this morning. It went 9 hours at 225 degrees. My wife stayed home today and pulled it off the grill when the internal temp reached the low 190's. It was fantastic, moist, tender, and full flavor!

by wood4heat on Arboristsite.com

Thursday's dinner.
Highly recommended.
View attachment 538654
I'd like this twice if I could.

This was tonight's dinner, bone in pork shoulder. I did all of the prep last night and threw it in the pellet grill before I left for work this morning. It went 9 hours at 225 degrees. My wife stayed home today and pulled it off the grill when the internal temp reached the low 190's. It was fantastic, moist, tender, and full flavor!

I'll take a plate! :baba:

What type of pellet grill you got?

Outstanding!

I also brine my turkey/chicken for 12-24 hrs. Rinse good. I seperate the skin from the breast with a spoon and add several pats of butter under the skin.

I start them on my pellet grill on low setting, 150* for a hr, then up the temp to 225 until done. I don't add any fruit or vegetable to the cavity, maybe a half stick of butter, but that's it.

Never experienced the soggy/ mushy breast mentioned above.

BTW.. I referring to fresh birds, not enhanced by packing co with 6-9% solution. Enhanced birds, IMO, do not benefit from brining, as there already "full" so to speak, and can't absorb any more liquid.

Welp. I did the bird.

This is the recipe I followed.

http://howtobbqright.com/2014/11/22/how-to-smoke-a-turkey/

I picked up the turkey Saturday. All I could find in the small weight range was frozen. So, I got an 11lb one.

It went into the fridge as soon as I got home Saturday.

Forward to Tuesday night. Turkey was thawed and I decided to get the brining process going since I was going to be doing it for 24hrs.

In the brine and outside to keep cold.

41CFB168-9F7A-4C76-97EF-1BA7CBED36F6_zps3btdjvms.jpg

441AD792-6011-4E23-BC0E-6E8BC19DEB0B_zpsrbhoj0f0.jpg

I pulled the turkey out yesterday afternoon and begun phase 2.

Aaaaaaaand this is where my panic began to set in in. Turkey was an awesome grey color. Oh poop. I coined it the "Bird of Death."

I mixed a cocktail to get my wits and went and told the neighbors I'm not guaranteeing anything.

Bird of Death.

B6F6EB12-060A-41EC-B332-AC60C1D4297C_zpsjr45wwsl.jpg

All rubbed, injected, and trussed up to sit in the fridge over night.

9FD2DF5B-7E44-4ECB-B114-F99BF87AE542_zps9jnvfuki.jpg

Started the grill at 0730 this morning.

A8D266E0-F3BD-467C-9413-3A2ADAB47B77_zps09vyrsr4.jpg

Bird on a bit after 0800 with grill at 300 degrees.

B89F2B77-068D-44A5-8AA6-C1E0CFCD7105_zpsfsawa1tz.jpg

Every hour I spritzed it with an apple juice/worscheshire mix. I rotated it 180 degrees 1.5 hrs into it.

3.5 hrs later internal temps were 165-168. Pulled the turkey and let it rest.

Neighbor getting ready to commence carving.

685A2957-69BF-473A-847A-A31AADB5ADF7_zpswdpuzsuo.jpg

7A39E52A-FE0C-48F7-BAFB-933FCA2A86F8_zpssxc5y3ut.jpg

I asked him if he thought if it was dry. He started laughing and said it's the juiciest turkey he's ever carved.

The "Bird of Death" was a big hit. Everyone loved it.

Back