What's inside the Might O Ninety?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Brad BTW was that the saw that went on Canton CL the other day and gone in a few hours?

No. I bought it less than 10 miles from home here.

Thanks Leeha. I went ahead and bought a new OEM piston and rings for it. Now I need a couple clutch shoes. They're missing the linings. If I had the piston and crank seals, I'd have this thing running today. Oh well, guess it'll be next week sometime now.

Last edited:
nice saw Brad i wish i had the extra coin to buy that saw when u get it finished the ports looked real nice were they as cast if so they were as good as i have ever seen that HF cleaner does the job spotless on piston clearance on that big 66mm bore if u are refering to squish i would think .025 to .030 but that is just a guess as i have never been around a 090
jnl:clap:

sorry Brad it seems i misunderstood the question by chance did u measure the squish before disassemblydo u plan to squeze it or just put the stock gasket back
jnl

YA! That's my man! Big saw by BRAD! I love it! YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only real educated thoughts I can throw in are on the clutch shoes!
Have them relined! Yes they can be relined for pretty reasonable price by a clutch repair shop! Just remember to tell them they are in metric measurements(save you the headache now!!) Once theyreline them, they will need to turn them down a touch.

Brad Thanks for the pics! This is my new favorite thread!!!!!

Awesome!!:yourock:

Thanks guys! I love a good project like this. Especially when it's a saw everyone loves. I just ordered the few parts I needed. The clutch shoes weren't quite as painful as what I thought they might be. They're about $25/ea. Not cheap, but not what I was expecting either.

To sum it up, all this saw needed was gaskets, carb kit, piston and rings, clutch drum/sprocket, 2 clutch shoes, clutch springs, a couple intake gaskets, chip guard, a couple little bolts for the muffler deflector, and crank seals. Not bad at all for a 35-40 year old saw. I'll have a little better than $200 in parts, but nearly half of that is the piston. I could have reused the original, but I want to make this saw top notch. It is an 090! It deserves it:clap:

Hey Brad good looking project. I was just wondering what sets up end play in that crank with a double set of roller bearings on either side? Thrust washers?? Thrust bearings??

I'm not quite sure. There are shoulders on the sides of the crank weights to keep the weights from rubbing on the case. There is some side-to-side play on cranks with needle bearings. Like I mentioned earlier, they're not as "tight" as ball bearings.

843047868_fWCeN-L.jpg

Last edited:
I see

So actually the those shoulders ride against the outer bearing races and the base gasket sets the clearance? I guess it would then be more important to use a factory gasket than on a regular ball bearing motor. Just wondering I've never seen an 090 apart. I know some Homelites and Dolmars use a roller on the clutch side and ball on the flywheel side to keep end play correct.

Hey Brad nice work, can you PM me with where you got the clutch shoes, I could use a couple. Just yesterday I took two 090 clutch drums to the machinest to get inserts put in, so I can run the clutches that have lost all their pads.

Dave.

Hey Brad nice work, can you PM me with where you got the clutch shoes, I could use a couple. Just yesterday I took two 090 clutch drums to the machinest to get inserts put in, so I can run the clutches that have lost all their pads.

Dave.

I ordered them from my dealer. Hopefully they're actually available. Great idea on the insert. New saws don't have lined clutch shoes.

On the bearings, there should be two fibre or plastic "washers" on the crank to keep it true in the case. There were a number of variations of these. There is a lot of end slop in these cranks, all of mine do it, but it is fine.

Glad you replaced the piston - it looked tired - very smooth, all of the machining ridges had gone.

+1 on clutch relining.

I'd get the electronic ignition conversion - much easier to set up, those points are a faff.

I'm STILL WAITING for the damn piston + jug for my rebuild....!

Great!!!!

Love the work you do......Lookin freekin awesome!!! :clap:

To answer my own question...that powerhead weighs in at 30 lbs. I figured I wasn't the only one wondering.

Back