What's on your bench 2/22/13

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing on the bench right now. Last week I had a Shindaiwa 240 handheld blower that I got on the cheap from e-bay.
Got a carb kit in the mail. Cleaned the carb and installed the kit but not running any better. Would run for awhile and just die. Couldn't get it to start again for about 20 minutes.
Took out the start switch a couple of weeks ago and it fired right up so I was thinking a switch or spark might be suspect.
Changed the fuel filter with no luck.

Finally as a last resort I swapped out the fuel line which really didn't look that bad and the darned thing is running like a top.

Go figure.

BTW Kudo's to Kyle at Edge and Engine for sending me the right fuel line for this blower. I thought it was all molded into the grommet, but he pointed out correctly that the fuel line was separate.

Last edited:
My free MS460 is being cleaned up.

Take a look at how filthy the crankcase was. Both seals appeared to be in ok condition, but the filter must've been allowing all kinds of junk through. It was previously used to cut refractory and carbon blocks and that stuff must be too fine for the filter to stop.

IMAG0500_zps3622d687.jpg

IMAG0505_zps6bacbb74.jpg

IMAG0506_zpseffce6e0.jpg

IMAG0507_zps9bd07e06.jpg

Its not on the bench but hiding in a box up on the shelf. A Jonsered 621 that a former coworker gave me. Scored piston. I have a new piston waiting to go in. Been quite a while since I looked at it. May need some acid work in the jug. One of these days when it warms up. No heat in the shop yet.

Giant dude,

I wouldn't sweat the unlimited coil if the 066 is for milling duty.

Sound like you got some nice projects going, I gots to find me a 7 cube. It may get my enthusiasm back.

I hear you on the coil thing, I'm definitely ambivalent. Maybe I'll do everything else, run it, and see if it bothers me. Yup, sounds like you need an "over the top" project to get your juices flowing. I'm pretty excited about the 066... I'm sticking it on Granberg's small log mill with a 20in bar. It should be overkill but, of course, that's the idea. :rock:

The bench is holding everything that is not laying in the floor.......... I have junked myself out of a work zone.:rock:

Now on top of the parts washer I have my $175 MS660 torn down, was going to go back stock until I seen Wastonr is doing a $85 sale on BB top ends (has stock bores available also)........ Always have the stock parts for the future. Just put a 55 Rancher back into use also, just a recoil spring repair.

attachment.php

My Bench has a green Di cast model Chevrolet of a NSACAR race driver with "Go Daddy" on the hood of it. I just let my fertile imagination run free.That is what is on my bench!!Don't ask what is on my mind....Ken
Just look at my avatar

Last edited:
Stihl MS390 that belongs to my Buddy.:bang::bang: Had a toasted Piston and Cylinder.It still ran with a Scored piston.Rings weren't stick in the grooves.Ordered a New Stihl Cylinder kit from Ebay.When it showed up it was for a MS310.Contacted seller and got 2 responses that they would check in the Morning.That was a week ago.:angry: Buddy told me just to use the 310 Kit.Upon getting the threebond on the Clam shell I tried Screwing the Bolts in and Low and Behold Stihl don't thread the holes in the Cylinder.:angry::angry: It took 30 friggin' minutes to thread those bolts in by tightening and backing out. Finally got them backed out and one of the seals popped out.Twice! Hope the Threebond hadn't set up too much.I'm starting to relate rebuilding a Stihl Clam shell to Child Birth.:laugh:
Don't care what anyone says.I haven't had to touch a Husky Clam shell saw yet.:rock:

Craftsman 3.4 carb rebuild, and patching the drywall I had to cut out to fix the pin hole leak in
a 3/4" water line. Shark Bites are the bomb......

hey guys first post but i have been lurking for awhile . just picked up an 028 super the other day and have it torn down for a new piston. great info on the site . thanks

I have a "carb swap" going on from a solo 651 parts saw to a green machine blower (redmax) with a bad carb. Have to swap the shafts to fit it and modify the inside choke stops but it will work. This is what i do when carbs are junk and not available cheap. Phone wont let me attach pic.

I just wrapped up a castor c-70s that had a junk carb and i got cheap because the last mechanic couldnt quite figure it out. It now has one off of a stihl 075 which is bigger inside but still a tilly hs series. I had to swap both the throttle and choke shafts to fit it. Runs great now.

Stihl have an unfinished 039 project. Waiting on decomp plug and bar stud from Northwood. Also ordered a new clutch drum and bearing, as the original was pretty marginal. This saw has been a money pit. New seals, AM cylinder/piston kit, Caber rings, bar stud, decomp plug, spark plug, bearings, carb kit, fuel line / filter, impiulse, oil line, clutch, clutch drum and handle plastic. Throwing in a new 25" ES bar and rsc chain and it's a break even proposition, if I decided to sell it. Most likely not.

Piston / exhaust shot
DSCN0125_zpsfd1706b9.jpg

Mismatched plastics, oh well. Calico?
DSCN0124_zpsebb93d3d.jpg

Sealed engine
DSCN0123_zpsf02f203a.jpg

I bought this at a local pawn shop for $150! Time for a little cleaning, tuning, and of course the muffler mod!:rock:

photobucket-9398-1361727855766_zpsbf4d2a48.jpg

Latest posts

Back