What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many of the Stihl saws that come to me for "no start" are just flooded.

Mark
I would try a different spark plug but I don't have one of those little ones yet. I'll try to start it again tomorrow. It didn't seem flooded to me, seemed more like the spark might be out of time. I'll probably take the flywheel off and see, also I may have a spare ignition module. But, yes, those 250 and 251 saws seem to flood easily.

On the floor next to the bench (bench is full) is an MS880... won't tune right, had been service by someone else & then sat a while. New gas made little improvement. Stripped carb & it was spotless inside but blew carb cleaner through everything anyway. Again, very little improvement. Low hour saw. Compression is good, piston looks new & pressure tested fine.
Came across a reference to different diaphragms in the Walbro WG carbs & I'm wondering if that's the problem...
shopping.jpeg
Anyone else run into this?

On the floor next to the bench (bench is full) is an MS880... won't tune right, had been service by someone else & then sat a while. New gas made little improvement. Stripped carb & it was spotless inside but blew carb cleaner through everything anyway. Again, very little improvement. Low hour saw. Compression is good, piston looks new & pressure tested fine.
Came across a reference to different diaphragms in the Walbro WG carbs & I'm wondering if that's the problem...
View attachment 1095857
Yes, I run into it a lot. Use the diaphragm that matches the one you took off. The one made for the fork lever sits too high to use the flat lever and will make it run rich..

Picked this saw up from a coworker three years ago to the day. His father bought it brand new and used it to clear property in Oregon. Then it cut firewood for several years. His father passed and he found it while going thru the attic. I bought it along with a few poulans for $100. There was no air filter on it, and It needed crank seals so I tore it down to the crankcase. Other saws came along I was more interested in so it went in a box and under the bench. Fast forward to yesterday and I finally decided to put it back together. New Caber ring, crank seals, and a carb kit later it’s back in action.
IMG_5853.jpegIMG_5854.jpegIMG_5858.jpegIMG_5868.jpegIMG_5866.jpegIMG_5867.jpeg

Getting the bug to work on saws again so I pulled down a few this evening. Couple of 041 supers, one 041AV and a 020AV
IMG_5875.jpeg

The 041’s were purchased off eBay before the pandemic. Never ran one, just thought they look cool and they were a Stihl. This was before I knew better.

The 020AV was purchased local and ran but has issues. Probably the easiest fix so I’ll start there. Plus the look you get when you pull out a saw like that at camp to cut up limbs for the fire.

Bench of frustration at the moment 🙄
have rebuilt 2 261s from scratch…3 dead saws plus new or used parts to make 2. Now…can’t get them started. 1 m-tronic, 1 non.
have tried 3 different rebuilt carbs on the non…one will sort of idle but dies with trigger pull. zip with the other 2.
tronic seems to have no spark with 2 different coils. I’m not sure if you can test for spark on these things so…
I’ve built 4 261s, both models and never had this much trouble.
wiring all checks out on the non-M. Gonna do another leak test tomorrow but it was fine after case was all reassembled. Carbs all passed vac and pres.

stumped ☹️

found the problem on the non MT.
big air leak. I hadn’t quite seated the clutch side seal. When testing just the case, nothing else bolted in…it was fine. Installing the oil pump over an uneven surface…oops. It was maybe 1/64” proud but that’s all it took.
all sealed up now. Will try a carb tomorrow.

learned not to work too fast just because I’ve done several of these…duh…🙄

tore the other saw down as well but the only minor leak was from a slightly bent decomp valve ( from one of the 2 that had been crushed). I hadn’t noticed before. Installed a plug, solved.
now to figure out the carb and/or spark issues.
I may wind up ditching the MT parts and building it as a regular carb saw.

everyone can seal it on their own and insert the screw, welding is not so easy anymore . first my tensioner was a bent bolt with a nut, made in a few minutes

With help from Ray Benson and Chris Bean I think I have the primer and oiler working.

While waiting for the seals for the Canadien 177 project I decided to clean up the Solo 70 and see if I could make it operable.

It looks to me like the saw was only run a few times then put away dirty and stored under a bench collecting dirt for 30 years or more.

20230707_165349.jpg

20230711_172346.jpg

20230711_172409.jpg

20230711_172417.jpg

The Canadien is cleaned and waiting...

20230711_172708.jpg

Mark

View attachment 1095857
Picked this saw up from a coworker three years ago to the day. His father bought it brand new and used it to clear property in Oregon. Then it cut firewood for several years. His father passed and he found it while going thru the attic. I bought it along with a few poulans for $100. There was no air filter on it, and It needed crank seals so I tore it down to the crankcase. Other saws came along I was more interested in so it went in a box and under the bench. Fast forward to yesterday and I finally decided to put it back together. New Caber ring, crank seals, and a carb kit later it’s back in action.
View attachment 1096093View attachment 1096094View attachment 1096095View attachment 1096096View attachment 1096097View attachment 1096098
Just that dog makes the picture, imo :p
looks mean 😀

Latest posts

Back