What's on your spring splitting roster?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pretty soon the snow will be all gone and one of my favorite times of year will be here.

I love the spring because there are no tourists, the woods and lakes are quiet, nothing else going on, and the weather is mild enough to work in long sleeves without breaking a sweat.

I have 2 cords in rounds sitting at my house, another 4 cords in rounds at the neighbor's yard (all about 50/50 aspen/maple) and about 2 cords of log length aspen in the woodlot.

At the hunting cabin I have a cord of geriatric aspen in/around my yard, a cord of Norway pine rounds in the woods (noodling material), and a host of dying/dead/windfall birch and maple to work up. In addition I am still working on widening my access road so there are probably a half dozen plus trees to count for another 2 cords.

Guess that will keep me busy in the spring and well into the summer.

I would like to have about 10 cords CSS by fall. Should be a reasonable goal.

What are you guys working on?

I probably should clean this mess up before more weeds grow around it:
2015-09-21 19.17.49.jpg
Since this picture was taken, I split about 1/2 cord of the stuff in front, but there are still about 7 cords of hardwood there, which is my 2016-17 wood (and hopefully a start on 17-18).

I will need to get a tree service company come in and take down a double stem paper birch and a few dead elms that are all too close to my house and out buildings for me to safely drop. All I ask of them is to put the trees on the ground and I will handle all of the clean up, That keeps the cost down a bit.

The rest of oakzilla..been chipping away at it, but it is sloowww going having to shave the bark and punky wood off first on every..single..round. Plus so many of the pieces have double or triple hearts/branch noggins in them.

Can't wait to get done so I can go back to getting cleaner straighter woods trees, much easier splitting.

Felled a 38" red maple for a workfriends mother in law yesterday, we worked it up til we got the driveway clear, still have the trunk and 8' of limbs left, but it will be a pile of wood to split. Between that, and the last bit of maple i have to get up from my parents neighbors backyard ill be pretty busy for a while. Then i can finish up the windfall over at a buddys farm. Makes for a long but fruitful spring.

Got between 1-2 cord of silver maple to split...that will make some good shoulder and firepit wood. I was actually glad to get some "junk wood" because I hate burning oak when it's not necessary. Not the worst problem to have...got about 7 cord of red/white/pin oak CSS. And I have a nice load of black walnut to split up now as well. Plus another cord+ of locust/oak mix to stack up. Been pretty busy cutting this past year, I'm up around 10 cord total and it's almost all primo hardwood.

The rest of oakzilla..been chipping away at it, but it is sloowww going having to shave the bark and punky wood off first on every..single..round. Plus so many of the pieces have double or triple hearts/branch noggins in them.

Can't wait to get done so I can go back to getting cleaner straighter woods trees, much easier splitting.

Those monster trees are some serious work...they really make you appreciate how easy the 1-2' DBH stuff is to work up.

I've got quite a mess to clean up.
View attachment 489712 View attachment 489713

After I get that split and stacked I'm going to tear down the shed you can just see a little of in the second pick.

That's a nice pile of locust!

Full Chisel I am sorta in the same boat as you. I have no shoulder season wood and I hate to waste my hickory and hedge .

Pretty soon the snow will be all gone and one of my favorite times of year will be here.

I love the spring because there are no tourists, the woods and lakes are quiet, nothing else going on, and the weather is mild enough to work in long sleeves without breaking a sweat.

I have 2 cords in rounds sitting at my house, another 4 cords in rounds at the neighbor's yard (all about 50/50 aspen/maple) and about 2 cords of log length aspen in the woodlot.

At the hunting cabin I have a cord of geriatric aspen in/around my yard, a cord of Norway pine rounds in the woods (noodling material), and a host of dying/dead/windfall birch and maple to work up. In addition I am still working on widening my access road so there are probably a half dozen plus trees to count for another 2 cords.

I've got lots to do and also like Spring time and no insects bugging me while I work outside. I have maybe twelve trees to drop on the property. Some red Oak, Poplar, and White Cedar. Plan on splitting and bagging the Cedar and Poplar for campfire wood sales and I may mill some of the Red Oak. I also have to build my wood sheds and get going on the garage and carport designs I'm planning to build.
I may even have time to eat, drink and sleep.....ha,ha.

need to work up about 70 cords of oak(40cords dry dead standing) and green ash, maple, oak (30 cords) of mixed hardwood for the winter of 16/17... blocked, split an stacked with 30 cords of seasoning red oak left from last summer/fall. goal is 100 cds by first day of fall! probably have 20 cords of poppel/aspen now(50%/50% blocked/split) an need 10 cds(5 dryed an stacked) of pine yet. this is my goal. with the storm last summer I did not sell as much as past years.

so steve did you get the rest of the wood from the tree job?

Just ordered one of those Forester Platinum 24" bars for relatively cheap on ebay. Paired with a skip chain it ought to be deadly on rounds with the 272. Noodle monster.

As far as shoulder wood, i have some poplar, cedar, and punky old oak for that. At this point i almost consider maple shoulder wood with all the white/red oak i have.

I hope the big maple i just dropped is red and not silver. Really hard for me to tell with the age if the tree and no leaves. It had red buds on the limb tips if that means anything.

Just ordered one of those Forester Platinum 24" bars for relatively cheap on ebay. Paired with a skip chain it ought to be deadly on rounds with the 272. Noodle monster.

As far as shoulder wood, i have some poplar, cedar, and punky old oak for that. At this point i almost consider maple shoulder wood with all the white/red oak i have.

I hope the big maple i just dropped is red and not silver. Really hard for me to tell with the age if the tree and no leaves. It had red buds on the limb tips if that means anything.
Give us a shot of the bark from the main trunk. Should be easy to tell.

What's on my splitting roster? It's always a suprise& very random. I kind of envy you dudes that are surrounded by woods and pick what you cut. I live in a suburban area where basically everybody has trees cut down in their yard but almost nobody burns wood. As a result over the years i've gotten tons of all the best free oak and other hardwood that people just throw away like it's worthless. I'm already set for the next couple years, but i always keep my eye out for the best oak, locust, and a little sugar maple.

More than likely if it's budding already it is silver maple...

Back