What's on your spring splitting roster?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Largest tree ive ever dropped. Not really a tree dropper, mostly cut windfall. Its been springlike for weeks here and almost everything is starting to bud.

Ill add that reds get that big here all the time, and im almost positive the maple 60 ft behind it was a red. It just had very "in between" bark. Ill also add that i have two large silvers in my front yard and i still couldnt tell.

The thing throwing me is the shape of the crown. I have one red in my hunting cabin yard (a naturally grown one, it's been there since before we showed up in 1974) and it has a more rounded shape like that one versus the "martini glass" shape typical of silvers.

It split not good. Twisty grain and fibers like a white oak. Ive never split silver so i cannot attest to how it splits or how the heartwood looks.

I guess ill know when i burn it. Itll go in a separate row so ill know when i burn it. Besides leaf structure what are the biggest differentiating factors of a silver?

I've had both red and silver that were twisted as all get out.

I'm in Maryland & the variations i see in silver maples here are pretty drastic. Seems like ones that grow on the water can be drastically different that ones growing inland on high ground. As a rule with silver maple i don't bother with anything much bigger than about 2ft around. In years past i maul split many large knotty silver maples. Not worth it unless you're desperate.

I have a mountain of junk to cut and split. Weed through it see whats shoulder wood and whats topsoil.
Leftover from previous homeowner.
Massive rounds, had to install a gantry crane on the splitter to drag em over and lift em.
Also have almost 2 cords of massive red oak from a buddys house to finish cutting and splitting.

Still searching for steel beems for the roof i plan to build over my wood pad and owb.
The rain and snow was a hinderance on my wood.
22x24' should do it. Dump and stack.

The rest of oakzilla..been chipping away at it, but it is sloowww going having to shave the bark and punky wood off first on every..single..round. Plus so many of the pieces have double or triple hearts/branch noggins in them.

Can't wait to get done so I can go back to getting cleaner straighter woods trees, much easier splitting.

That sounds familiar. The big red oak I'm working on looked looked smooth on the outside but I keep finding trimmed branches and aborted crotches inside, along with the carpenter ants.

My current inventory:

IMG_20160218_141913769_HDR%20Large_zps5gxtq1rl.jpg

A couple Sassafras, Black Walnut, unidentified tree (the big logs in the middle that look like Poplar but aren't) and one Tree of Heaven. I also have the top 10 feet of a Poplar off the left that I need to finish.

My new woodshed that I built last Sept. and started filling this last October; almost filled:

IMG_20160219_141103633%20Large_zpsmmdyejyz.jpg

IMG_20160219_141107812_HDR%20Large_zpsrvt1cqzr.jpg

Pretty soon the snow will be all gone and one of my favorite times of year will be here.

I love the spring because there are no tourists, the woods and lakes are quiet, nothing else going on, and the weather is mild enough to work in long sleeves without breaking a sweat.

I have 2 cords in rounds sitting at my house, another 4 cords in rounds at the neighbor's yard (all about 50/50 aspen/maple) and about 2 cords of log length aspen in the woodlot.

At the hunting cabin I have a cord of geriatric aspen in/around my yard, a cord of Norway pine rounds in the woods (noodling material), and a host of dying/dead/windfall birch and maple to work up. In addition I am still working on widening my access road so there are probably a half dozen plus trees to count for another 2 cords.

Guess that will keep me busy in the spring and well into the summer.

I would like to have about 10 cords CSS by fall. Should be a reasonable goal.

What are you guys working on?

Have 120 acres to log and about 400 cords of logs sitting in the yard to process.

IMAG0798.jpg
In the foreground is around a cord of white oak I hauled home for my son to process and sell. The mountain of rounds in the background is around five cord of hickory and red oak that I need to get split and stacked straight away so those little ******s that eat hickory and crap sawdust will leave it alone. Not to mention the trees in my other thread. So ya, enough to keep busy.....

I have about 2 cord of red oak split needing to be stacked. I have about another cord of mixed wood bucked that needs splitting. Then its to the 5 cords of Whiteoak I cut at Christmas that still needs to be bucked and split. My wood shed is just under half full, but by the time I stack the red oak, it will be pretty much full. I guess I will have to throw together another shed to stack the rest of the wood in. I also have another whiteoak thinning job to do sometime in the near future. Not sure how much wood will be there, its one of those jobs where you take out every other tree. I got 7 cord total off the last thinning, but the trees arent as big this time.

Back