whats the average wieght size you use for your throw line?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what throw ball weight do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

voxac30dude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i personally use a 16oz wieght with samson zing it. i like it alot and even though at time find it alittle on the heavy side, i like to be sure it will return to the ground. what do you prefer?

12oz works great for me - I keep a few on hand. Have never used a slig shot of any type though - always thrown by hand.

lighter 8 oz flys higher if throwing by hand ,the bigger ones you cant get a good grip on the slippery tiny synthetic line.

Thanks for the tip - I'll give a lighter one a try. I just took a guess at the weight and it worked so well I have never tried anything else.

There is no one answer. It depends on height needed, the rougness of the bark it has to pull the line over, the amount of potential brush snags on the way up and down, etc.

I keep (2) 12oz, (1) 16oz, and (1) 10oz in my throw bag. There are 3 different lines in the bag as well, each 200' long. We use a different line from most though... Ours is a "mini-blind cord" material. It's like a miniature double braid... super strong, super flexible, and doesn't have any more friction than ZingIt or the old SlickLine. The best part is we have several spools (2500' each) in different colors. If we lose any line (hangups or other misfortunes), we cna always pull out another line or reel off another 200' piece.

did you notice you cant really hold it well , a 8 oz flys higher then my 12 by almost 50 percent.

I have managed to get the 12oz pretty high, although the best lift is achieved when the silly knot on the throw line releases at the apex :) There are few things as humiliating as launching a throw weight into the stratosphere while the HO watches the throwline drift back to the ground.

I use 12 Oz. weights. I've gotten used to them over a long time and it feels different to to use something else. I have also been using Zing-it the past few years. I was using slick line before that. I accidentally bought a 16 Oz. weight with some larger diameter Fling-it a couple of weeks ago and have tried using it a couple of times since then. I can't throw worth a crap with the 16 Oz. weight. I plan to send it back and replace it with a 12 Oz. as soon as I can find the time.

I work at asplundh. And they took the spikes off our trucks years ago. So I'm pretty good with a throwball. We still prefer the thick yellow line. I'm not sure of the brand name. I'm sure it's the cheepest. Any ball works just fine except the lightest and the heaviest. The middle ones I prefer. I wrap black tape around it real tight and make it narrow. Leave the string long while it swings back and forth. One shot one kill. My buddy says I'm old school for using the thick stuff but in my experience it doesn't tangle as much and when it does it's easier to get out.

I work at asplundh. And they took the spikes off our trucks years ago. So I'm pretty good with a throwball. We still prefer the thick yellow line. I'm not sure of the brand name. I'm sure it's the cheepest. Any ball works just fine except the lightest and the heaviest. The middle ones I prefer. I wrap black tape around it real tight and make it narrow. Leave the string long while it swings back and forth. One shot one kill. My buddy says I'm old school for using the thick stuff but in my experience it doesn't tangle as much and when it does it's easier to get out.

whats the average weight size you use for your throwline

I olike 16oz have different ones10 up to 24oz. it is the right tool for the job if you have to go way high than light bag, if you have to power through vines and brush than 24 oz bag

8oz up in the tree, 8oz in the slingshot, 8oz hand throwing if it's really high. Otherwise hand throwing is 12oz 'cause it's what I learned on and feels right. Occasionally the 16 will come out for nasty bark or branches.

I am cheap so instead of a big shot I use one of these dog ball launchers and a tennis ball full of sand and epoxy with a eye bolt to tie zing-it line too. The balls are 16oz when full of sand and 22oz when full of lead shot. I know it is hillbilly but the whole works only costs $25.00 and works like a charm.

attachment.php

Normally a 12oz. and Target line I think its called. However, I just switched to some Zing-It because the Target stuff breaks way to easy. Have an 8oz. on my saddle and an extra 12oz. and a 14oz. also.

Latest posts

Back